Scrolling over links

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 29
David Dewberry | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 18 2013 9:05 AM

so, when I scroll over a link to a resource. e.g. a grammar in my exegetical guide, the window that pops up always begins with the reference that I'm interested in.  The problem is that most of the time I need to see what is prior to the reference in the grammar for the pop up to actually be helpful.  the result is that I just have to open each resource in order to see the context of the reference, which defeats the purpose of quickly scrolling over the link.  Is there a way to have the reference be in the middle of the pop up?  has there been any discussion of this already?

Posts 25144
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 9:15 AM

Hi David - and welcome to the forums.

David Dewberry:
The problem is that most of the time I need to see what is prior to the reference in the grammar for the pop up to actually be helpful.  the result is that I just have to open each resource in order to see the context of the reference, which defeats the purpose of quickly scrolling over the link. 

I see what you mean. Screenshot below to demonstrate the issue:

David Dewberry:
Is there a way to have the reference be in the middle of the pop up? 

Not to the best of my knowledge

David Dewberry:
  has there been any discussion of this already?

not that I am aware of.

For more focus on this it would be better posted in the Logos 5 forum. Would you like me to see if I can get it moved there?

Graham

Posts 29
David Dewberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 9:45 AM

graham,

thanks! sure if you think that would be best.

Posts 3189
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 4:40 PM

Graham Criddle:

Unfortunately what the problem is is less clear to me. What is missing from the tool-tip that should be there? 

Posts 579
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 10:03 PM

Tommy Ball:

Graham Criddle:

Unfortunately what the problem is is less clear to me. What is missing from the tool-tip that should be there? 

He is referring to the fact that you see the word (or reference, such as in searches, etc.) and what is AFTER the word, but nothing BEFORE the word. What I also would find helpful is being able to see most to all of the sentence with the word in it (with my word, passage, etc. highlighted) as well as what is after the word. Many times what I am looking for does not show up in the popup screen so I have to actually go do the resource to see if it actually is what I'm looking for. I can't do that with the word (passage, etc.) that I searched for at the very beginning of the popup with only what is after it visible. I usually find that it is what is before and after the word (passage, etc., that I searched for) that I find what it is I'm looking for. When I put my mouse over the word (passage, etc.) that I searched for, only what is after the word will be visible in the popup. I find that VERY annoying and inconvenient.

Posts 3189
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 3:19 PM

Caleb S.:
He is referring to the fact that you see the word (or reference, such as in searches, etc.) and what is AFTER the word, but nothing BEFORE the word.

Ok, I see what you're referring to. You're wanting the text prior to the citation that was searched in the Exegetical guide to appear in the tool-tip. In this case I don't see how including the text to the most logical position--the beginning of point 3--would be very helpful. It is a point in a list of other points explaining Greek sentence structure. Without the rest of the points it doesn't seem overly helpful. Perhaps there is a better example that would illustrate how adding the text just before the citation is helpful? 

Caleb S.:
Many times what I am looking for does not show up in the popup screen so I have to actually go do the resource to see if it actually is what I'm looking for. I can't do that with the word (passage, etc.) that I searched for at the very beginning of the popup with only what is after it visible. I usually find that it is what is before and after the word (passage, etc., that I searched for) that I find what it is I'm looking for.

Can you give me an example where the tool-tip is unhelpful? It could be that we could provide a little more context in the text that appears. If what you saw in the tool-tip sparked your interest, wouldn't you end up opening the book anyway as to read from a more logical starting point?

Posts 29
David Dewberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 8:27 AM

the specific example was just supposed to illustrate the problem.  when you scroll over a resource (not just in a guide) quite often the useful information is not included.  so perhaps a particularly helpful resource has an incredibly insightful point to make from my text:

"fascinating theological point, background information that is incredibly helpful (Hab 3:3)"

if I were to scroll over the resource, the first line of the pop up would say "(Hab 3:3)" and then only what follows the reference would be included.  but more often than not resources cite passages at the end of a significant point, not the beginning.

Posts 3189
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 8:43 AM

David Dewberry:

fascinating theological point, background information that is incredibly helpful (Hab 3:3)"

if I were to scroll over the resource, the first line of the pop up would say "(Hab 3:3)" and then only what follows the reference would be included.  but more often than not resources cite passages at the end of a significant point, not the beginning.

Can you provide a screenshot or detailed set of steps to replicate what you're describing? I'd like to do this so that I can better understand how the behavior is prohibitive to study.

Posts 29
David Dewberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 8:18 AM

Ok sorry I didn't respond earlier.  here are a couple of screen shots:

it is prohibitive in the sense that scrolling over links for a quick pop-up of the relevant info is impossible.  In order to see the information I have to open the resource and scroll up.  It is not the worst thing in the world, it's just that it makes the pop-up function basically worthless in cases like this.

thanks for taking a look!

Posts 29

apparently I don't know how to post screen shots :)

Posts 29

and the other one...

Posts 26975
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 3:59 PM

David Dewberry:
more often than not resources cite passages at the end of a significant point, not the beginning.

The issue is that the start of the article (the name that is hyperlinked) could be several pages prior to the passage. The significant point within the article could be any number of lines before the passage, so the best that could be done is to include an arbitrary number of lines before the passage and reduce the text shown after the passage. If the passage is contained within a footnote, though, the popup could be more confusing.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3189
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 3:26 PM

Hi David,

When you get a chance, can you call us about this? 800-875-6467. Thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS