Will not install!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 12
Chris | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 15 2009 3:19 PM

Ok... so I downloaded the update and it won't install.

It says: an error occured while attempting to create the directory: .... StartMenu\Programs

Help!

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 3:36 PM

That sounds like a permissions problem.  Are you attempting this on an administrator level account or regular user level account?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 12
Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 3:46 PM

I don't know what you're asking.

I use a laptop connected to our server at church.

I am not the administrator.

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 5:03 PM

I think what Thomas means is that if you are using Windows, all users on a computer have a user profile or account. To prevent people from changing some files and settings, different levels of permission can be given to different users. The highest level of permission is Administrator. Sometimes if you are logged onto a computer in a profile other than Administrator your ability to create or change files is limited. I think Thomas was suggesting this was the case when you tried to install Logos 4.

It would help to know what operating system you are using and whether you are the sole user of teh computer and have administrator permissions.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 12
Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 8:39 AM

Thanks.

I use XP.  This is a computer that belongs to the church that I use for study and personal use.  I am not the admin... I just have a log on.

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:08 AM

ChristopherJohnson01:

Thanks.

I use XP.  This is a computer that belongs to the church that I use for study and personal use.  I am not the admin... I just have a log on.

Hi Christopher, they are correct, installing the prerequisites of Logos 4 requires elevated permissions. If you know the administrator you may want to ask him to install Logos 4 (which the first part installs the prerequisites) and then after the program finishes installing just have him quit before signing in. The way Logos4 works is that it is specific to each user, so you will have to run the installation again on your windows profile but this time signing in and downloading the content. You probably just don't have permission to install the prerequisites and Logos 4 won't run without that. You may download and install Logos4Setup.exe here: http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:13 AM

Christopher,

If you Click on start  Then Settings, and finally control panel, you'll see an icon marked USERS.  Double click that and look at your account name, it will list you either as a "user" or as an "Administrator"    I'm sorry if we're bouncing on the wrong wavelength here but I'm uncertain if you understand the difference between being the guy who administrates computers and being someone with administrator privileges on the computer (even if you don't know how to use them).

EDIT: George got his answer in before I hit post.

Posts 12
Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:24 AM

It says I belong to the group "administrators"

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:45 AM

ChristopherJohnson01:

Very strange. When you say downloaded an update, do you mean you had L4 running and working? What could help us right now is a log file, follow this link and save the file to your computer and run it: http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/EnableLogging.js, Next launch the installer and then after you encounter the error, go to your My Documents\Logos Log Files folder and attach the DigitalLibraryInstall.log to this thread, thanks.

Posts 12
Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:50 AM

I called up the IT guys and they think it might have been a corruption that occured when this pc got a virus earlier this year.

They are trying to work on it.

Posts 463
George Allakhverdyan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:51 AM

ChristopherJohnson01:

I called up the IT guys and they think it might have been a corruption that occured when this pc got a virus earlier this year.

They are trying to work on it.

Ok let me know how it goes.

Edit: After speaking with one of the devs it seems this issue is a known issue, I am seeing if there is a workaround..

Posts 8662
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:13 AM

ChristopherJohnson01:

Well that just shoots my theory.  Huh?

ChristopherJohnson01:
It says: an error occured while attempting to create the directory: .... StartMenu\Programs

It's almost certainly a permissions issue.  Though I can conceive of everything from full HD, to bad data block, or other technical issues.  Let's do simple first.

I am now officially in "try it mode".  Where I randomly suggest things in hopes that something actually accidentally works.

Let's try this.....

Go to the control panel, select add/remove programs and look for Logos4  and uninstall it. 

Also uninstall Logos prerequisites.

Then reboot your system, and try the install again.  It could be that something funny got stuck.

scratch that, I took too long to respond, and you're in better hands anyway.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS