ESV Bible Atlas

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 516
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 27 2013 1:46 PM

The ESV Bible Atlas, written by John D. Currid and published by Crossway, is an amazing resource that would be great to have in Logos.  It is a 300-page expansion on the maps and geographical information that were developed for the ESV Study Bible.  Logos needs to offer this! 

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 27 2013 3:04 PM

Just so you don't feel alone, it has been requested by many here. Here's one thread started almost 3 years ago: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/21844.aspx

With high definition maps this would be a bear of a download. Logos would have a lot of server expense. Too bad Logos eliminated sending out CDs as this would be a good candidate for this method of distribution.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 516
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 27 2013 3:40 PM

Thanks Mark, I did not realize that it had been suggested before. 

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 27 2013 4:42 PM

Daniel Yoder:
Thanks Mark, I did not realize that it had been suggested before.

It's been awhile and good to bring up again. I have the hardback version and would love to have it in Logos format.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 27 2013 5:02 PM

I have supported this in the past - and would do so again.  Thanks for again bringing it forward.  

Yes

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 9799
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 27 2013 7:56 PM

Mark Smith:
With high definition maps this would be a bear of a download. Logos would have a lot of server expense. Too bad Logos eliminated sending out CDs as this would be a good candidate for this method of distribution.

This resource is certainly a good argument for them to make an exception.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1088
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:30 AM

Daniel,

It would be great if they offered this, and in the meantime, there's a way to get this resource into your library. It's not as good as if Logos offered the resource, but I think this is a good start.

I bought the eBook from Crossway directly. They offer all their eBooks in unencrypted formats: mobi, epub and pdf. I then took the epub, loaded it into Calibre and converted to RTF format. I opened the RTF in Word (I have 2007) and saved as docx. The resulting file is ~67MB. I compiled it as a personal book in Logos and added it to my "Maps and Charts" Collection. [I've read that if you have Office 2013, conversion to docx from the PDF may produce even better output, but I cannot currently verify that.]

I believe the downside is that the final images are not full resolution. But they look good in Logos, and it gives you the option to link the Atlas to your library. When you find a map you want to use outside of Logos, open up the PDF and copy it from there.

I'm also guessing that I've got some tagging work that I ought to do. However, the PBB found the references, and I think that's 90% of what I'd care about. You can see in my screenshot below that the references are links. I didn't do anything special to get those noticed.

Here is what the output looks like in Logos.

Posts 516
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:44 AM

William Gabriel:

Daniel,

It would be great if they offered this, and in the meantime, there's a way to get this resource into your library. It's not as good as if Logos offered the resource, but I think this is a good start.

Thanks for suggesting this William.  I will have to look into this. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS