Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 8 2013 12:02 PM

Are there plans to support reading Personal Books on iOS? Thank you.

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 8 2013 12:12 PM

Don Awalt:
Are there plans to support reading Personal Books on iOS?

Yes, but no time tables. The primary issue is syncing of personal books. Unless Logos were to utilize a third party service (such as dropbox), or charge users a service fee, this could be an expensive endeavor. Bob has said that syncing of personal books IS coming, but no time tables have been made public.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4563
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:11 AM

I know what Alabama says is true, and I believe Bob and the team are trying to find a reliable solution that makes sense for their business. I do hope they get it worked out sooner rather than later. Not only would it be nice to have PB's sync between computers (desktop to laptop, etc); having them sync between platforms (PC / Mac to IOS / Android) would be huge.

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:29 AM

YesSmile

Posts 2351
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 5:55 AM

alabama24:

Don Awalt:
Are there plans to support reading Personal Books on iOS?

Yes, but no time tables. The primary issue is syncing of personal books. Unless Logos were to utilize a third party service (such as dropbox), or charge users a service fee, this could be an expensive endeavor. Bob has said that syncing of personal books IS coming, but no time tables have been made public.

What if Logos added a LOCAL sync to mobile device commend that did all of the work on your computer without going through the Logos servers?  You attach your mobile device as a USB device and execute Sync Mobile. Then we could do it ourselves, not as convent but gets the job done, no Logos server space used, no copyright problems. 

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 6:28 AM

David Ames:
What if Logos added a LOCAL sync to mobile device commend that did all of the work on your computer without going through the Logos servers?

Personally, I wouldn't prefer that solution. There aren't many apps that work that way on iOS, and only "geeks" would really know what to do. IMO, I think working with dropbox and/or iCloud is the way to go. 

Posts 2856
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 6:33 AM

[quote user="Don Awalt"]

[/quote]

A direct response from the team representative:http://community.logos.com/forums/t/66838.aspx?PageIndex=2

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2351
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:56 PM

alabama24:

David Ames:
What if Logos added a LOCAL sync to mobile device commend that did all of the work on your computer without going through the Logos servers?

Personally, I wouldn't prefer that solution. There aren't many apps that work that way on iOS, and only "geeks" would really know what to do. IMO, I think working with dropbox and/or iCloud is the way to go. 

Please review http://community.logos.com/forums/p/72434/504321.aspx#504321  

"There aren't many apps that work that way on iOS, and only "geeks" would really know what to do""

what if the instructions were: plug in mobile device to USB port; start Logos; in the command box enter 'Sync USB';  with Logos recognizing your device type?  - no geeks needed [except at Logos dev.]  

""Personally, I wouldn't prefer that solution""   You and X million other Logos users with or planing to get mobile devices including me. But what if there is a blocking issue? [server issues?;  copyright issues?]   Do we say ""that way or no way""  or do we say ""but if it can not be that way what about ----""

""There aren't many apps that work that way on iOS,""  that means that there is at least one.

And Logos does not want to do it that way [they want PBB to sync just like notes [etc.] ] but can we leave options open?

What are we asking? 'Please use the cloud to get PBB on my mobile' OR 'Please get PBB on my mobile'   ?

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 1:16 PM

David Ames:
what if the instructions were: plug in mobile device to USB port; start Logos; in the command box enter 'Sync USB';  with Logos recognizing your device type?  - no geeks needed [except at Logos dev.]

iOS doesn't work that way. You cannot side load anything. Apple is very controlling about their wonderful, closed system.

David Ames:
that means that there is at least one.

Do you know of any? I don't. I <think> I remember someone, somewhere, sometime talking about adding data to an app via iTunes… Which is the closest to "side loading" as iOS <may> get, and is a horrible way to do anything.

David Ames:
what if there is a blocking issue? [server issues?;  copyright issues?]   Do we say ""that way or no way""  or do we say ""but if it can not be that way what about ----""

How would dropbox not solve that problem? 

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:18 PM

HERE is a link to an article about DropBox's new API's… I wonder if this could be of any benefit to Logos (hint, hint). Smile

Of course, I still think using Logos servers is best for the end user… as long as it can be done in a reasonable timeframe. 

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 5:55 PM

Don Awalt:

Yes. We are actively working on this. (Sorry, no date predictions available...)

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 6:31 PM

W00T! Smile (Can't [I'll have to] wait!) 

Posts 2856
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:09 PM

Thank you Bob.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:04 PM

alabama24:

David Ames:

iOS doesn't work that way. You cannot side load anything. Apple is very controlling about their wonderful, closed system.

Actually not true. iTunes has what Apple terms as "File Sharing" built in, which allows you to install app-native resources to apps on your i-device. The feature is publisher dependent, so not every program has it, and it is a little geeky to get started, but once turned on is simple drag and drop.

I have 5 apps that use it now on my iPod, including the two "big" eBook retailers.

iOS: About File Sharing

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 27272
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:34 PM

Paul Golder:
I have 5 apps that use it now on my iPod, including the two "big" eBook retailers.

Which ones? (I believe you, I just have never come across any… or didn't know about the feature.

Paul Golder:
Actually not true. iTunes has what Apple terms as "File Sharing" built in, which allows you to install app-native resources to apps on your i-device. The feature is publisher dependent, so not every program has it, and it is a little geeky to get started, but once turned on is simple drag and drop.

I mentioned that above… and that is was geeky… but it all goes through iTunes, right? So you wouldn't run a command from Logos, or would you? In any case, I don't think it is worth Logos time. If they choose to go another route other than their own servers, it would be best to use a reliable cloud based service such as DropBox or iCloud.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:02 PM

alabama24:

Paul Golder:

Which ones? (I believe you, I just have never come across any… or didn't know about the feature.

There's Kindle, Nook, PocketBible, PlainText among others that all allow it.

alabama24:
I mentioned that above… and that is was geeky… but it all goes through iTunes, right? So you wouldn't run a command from Logos, or would you?

No, you would need to know the location of your personal book file and drag and drop it to iTunes.

alabama24:
I don't think it is worth Logos time.

That could be argued. I took a quick look at the iOS developer library, and all it takes is one key to turn on file sharing in an app, and then users can drop files into the app (the app also has be able to recognize when files have been added, and know what to do with them as well, which is where the complexity of the programming comes in to play). To use the currently available cloud services, and allow users to access personal books from there would be near identical to what must be done to implement file sharing.

But what Logos is planing to provide is not unlike making apples equal oranges (no pun intended). They are seeking to sync personal books across each user's multiple computers, and at the same time syncing them to multiple platform mobile devices. A daunting task by any measure, 

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 2821
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 7:09 AM

Logos has made Personal Books on mobile devices far more complicated than it needs to be.  One should be able to sync personal books simply through iTunes.  It shouldn't really involve having them on Logos servers.  Dozens of other apps allow users to add books similarly - even Apple's iBooks, for goodness sake.

It is time Logos got this done.  No, it is past time.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2733
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 7:26 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Don Awalt:

Yes. We are actively working on this. (Sorry, no date predictions available...)

Thank you Bob for the hope. I would encourage you to give it a priority since any resources in the minor languages are possible only in the PBB way. Having them on all the platforms is a must.

Bohuslav

Posts 191
Bob Diebel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 1:04 PM

Is there an update RE: Reading Personal Books on iOS? 

Thanx,

Bob Diebel

Posts 21638
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 1:53 PM

It is currently on hold as per https://community.logos.com/forums/p/126859/848584.aspx#848584 

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS