Interesting Ruling Relating to Ebooks

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2827
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:09 AM

Would not think this has any direct impact on Logos, but it will impact the ebook market overall.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/judge-says-apple-conspired-raise-125645305.html

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8979
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:36 AM

Interesting news. As the e-book publishing industry continues to develop it is a warning to publishers.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1052
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:38 AM

It may impact Logos. If rulings like this keep coming in, it will give Logos more control over the contracts they agree to with publishers. Apple moved the whole industry into an agency model, and if we can get back to having a bit more diversity in the contracts, then sellers like Amazon and Logos will have more freedom to set their own prices. Hopefully that means lower prices for us, but I think it will take a few years and quite a bit more competition for that to become reality. Hopefully it means that past disputes can be resolved (ahem...Moody).

There's a part of me that's skeptical it will change anything at Logos. If we never see sales on titles that Logos "owns" (e.g. Classic Commentaries), then I suspect we'll see much of the same story from this company.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:00 AM

Michael Childs:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/judge-says-apple-conspired-raise-125645305.html

It couldn't happen to a more deserving company.Devil 

I've also got a bone to pick with the way Apple allows in-app purchases even when it's set to off.

As regards Logos books; I don't think this will have an effect on pricing because there obviously is no conspiracy to fix prices. Besides, the Community Pricing program drives prices down. If Wordsearch and Accordance were charging the same as Logos then there may be an investigation. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 27781
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:09 AM

Super Tramp:
It couldn't happen to a more deserving company.

You're crazy. Surprise

Super Tramp:
I've also got a bone to pick with the way Apple allows in-app purchases even when it's set to off.

Tell me your problem, and I'll see if I can help. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:07 PM

alabama24:

Super Tramp:

I had the iPad set to off for app downloads & in-app purchases. I had a passcode preventing changes. My 4 year old was able to purchase 3 app add-ons for $60 in 5 minutes of playing a free app.

I got a refund and warning from Apple iTunes. I have removed my credit card from both iPads. Never again will I buy from iTunes store.

I'm grateful Logos iOS app is free.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 27781
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:14 PM

Super Tramp:
I had the iPad set to off for app downloads & in-app purchases. I had a passcode preventing changes. My 4 year old was able to purchase 3 app add-ons for $60 in 5 minutes of playing a free app.

I assume that you had recently downloaded the app, right? There is a "window of opportunity" between when you type in your password, and when Apple requires it again.

Super Tramp:
I got a refund and warning from Apple iTunes. I have removed my credit card from both iPads. Never again will I buy from iTunes store.

Why? It sounds like you got good customer service! Just don't buy "freemium" apps. I hate those, and don't own any. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:34 PM

Super Tramp:

alabama24:

Super Tramp:

I'm grateful Logos iOS app is free.

One option is to buy iTunes Cards so you can purchase something, but its not linked to your CC. 

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 1:14 PM

William Gabriel:
It may impact Logos. If rulings like this keep coming in, it will give Logos more control over the contracts they agree to with publishers. Apple moved the whole industry into an agency model, and if we can get back to having a bit more diversity in the contracts, then sellers like Amazon and Logos will have more freedom to set their own prices.

Nowadays, Logos operates more as a co-publisher than as a seller (at least with non-Vyrso books), and their contracts reflect that. That's because Logos have the responsibility of creating the electronic edition of the book, not just selling it.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS