Optimized Settings for Parallel VM Users

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 43
David Kim | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:04 AM

Hello, 

This morning, I was tinkering with the settings in my parallel program to if I can make the my Logos 4 run better when using VM. In Parallel menu, go to -- virutal machine -- configure --  and check mark the "Enable Adaptive Hypervisor" and under Power Consumption, I have "Better performance selected" 

The explanation of Enable Adaptive Hypervisor is as follows from Parallel User Guide: 

"Using Adaptive Hypervisor

Select the Enable Adaptive Hypervisor option to automatically allocate the host computer CPU resources between the virtual machine and Mac OS X applications depending on what application you are working with at the moment. If your virtual machine window is in focus, the priority of this virtual machine processes will be set higher than the priority of the Mac's processes and as a result more CPU resources will be allocated to the virtual machine, if you switch to the primary OS window - the priority of its working applications will be set higher and the CPU resources will be relocated to Mac OS X."

I am running MacBook Pro 2.53Ghz with 4GB RAM. I noticed a boost in the peformance of Logos using in Parallel. 

So far this morning, it has been running very nice. 

Blessings, 

David

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:15 AM

David, what settings are you using on your General tab?

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 43
David Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:34 AM

I incresed it before and I remember not having a good experience? Although, I have not increase the main membory setting to 2GB after turning on "enable adaptive hypervisor"

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:55 AM

Let me know if you play around with it some more and find better results. I feel that Parallels 5 is much slower than 4 was or even the 5 beta. I'm currently running another Parallels 5 beta that hasn't been released yet that addressed my slow startup times for Parallels itself (it was taking over 10 minutes), but the speed of running Windows itself is still not the same for me as it was in v. 4.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 43
David Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:56 AM

Hi Richard, 

I noticed that  you have "2" as the processor. I guess this is to designate that you have two processors in the cpu? Is that correct? I have also increased my memory to mimic yours. I will see what happens. What are the specs for your computer that runs the parallel program?

Thank You. 

Posts 492
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:04 AM

Yes, I had it on "2" since it is a core 2 duo processor, but I have no idea if this improves or degrades performance.

I have a late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro with a 2.8 ghz processor and 4GB of RAM.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 43
David Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:16 AM

Yeah. I never ran Parallel 4 so i can't compare. but, I will definitely play around with to figure out the best performance. Thanks Richard. 

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:38 AM

you should set it to run on one core or you do not leave enough processing power for the mac. Runs better on a single core I have found. Parallels support would back this up

Dan

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS