Toggle from Work Offline to Work Online

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 173
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:12 PM

I'm a traveler, and love to use logos on long plane rides.  My problem is that when I open it on the plane it forced me to work offline, then I highlight, make notes, read further in a resource, and all kinds of fun stuff...but when I get to the hotel and try to sync the notes etc. online...it says I can't because I'm still in offline mode.  Is there a way to toggle it back on to sync once I hit the hotel?

Thanks,

Derek

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:24 PM

Did you try restarting the app?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 173
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:51 PM

I actually haven't closed the program since then, as I'm afraid I'll lose all my notes and highlights. Do you know if it saves them locally and syncs them after a restart...or does it pull what was last synced from the web as the starting point?

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:04 PM

Derek Browning:
I actually haven't closed the program since then, as I'm afraid I'll lose all my notes and highlights. Do you know if it saves them locally and syncs them after a restart...or does it pull what was last synced from the web as the starting point?

You should be just fine… just like the mobile app, it will sync the data when you connect next. No need to worry about losing things when restarting.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 750
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:32 PM

Derek,

I believe the "secret" is to hold down the <CTRL> key when you launch Logos.  This will cause it to ask you to login.  Someone else was asking about this just recently. 

I think Logos should make "Attempt to login" if the user is configured to "Use internet".  If I have "Use internet" selected in program settings, then I don't understand why I should also have to rub my tummy and pat my head in order to get the program to actually log me in.

Posts 750
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:34 PM

Alabama.  Restarting the application doesn't do any good.  I've been there, done that.  You have to find the magic "hold down the control key during the launch" rule.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:47 PM

On a MacBook Air, found turning off WiFi then launching Logos 5 would open in offline mode since no network was available.  Closing Logos 5, turn on WiFi and connect to a network, followed by launching Logos 5 opens in online mode, which can take awhile to sync all the local changes with Logos servers.

For normal use, Logos 5 seems a bit more responsive in offline mode.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 750
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 11:31 PM

alabama24:

Did you try restarting the app?

Based on your suggestion and "Keep Smiling"s comment I tried toggling offline and online in a single session.  On my Windows 7 laptop it does automatically login as long as the internet is available when Logos is launched. 

I know that this has not always been the case since I was forced to find and use the control key method just last month.  A logos rep joined the forum thread to suggest the control key method when there is a problem.

I have been stuck when I visited a company site which required me to set up a proxy connection for my IE browser.  I normally use Firefox and had not reverted the IE browser when I returned home.  My logos would not connect until I got rid of the proxy setting.  The moral of the story is to make sure that the Windows Internet Explorer browser is able to access the internet since Logos uses their connection configuration.

Posts 24556
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 11 2013 1:11 AM

Derek Browning:
I actually haven't closed the program since then, as I'm afraid I'll lose all my notes and highlights.

Derek

If you normally work online (Use Internet = Yes) but are forced to work Offline for a period you can start Logos normally and it will go online in the presence of a network**. Your offline work is saved locally and it will then be sync'd to Logos' servers. You do not need to use the CTRL key.

**  usually your local network for which it has been configured, else you might get the Startup window with options.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS