Highlighting: How do I get the whole passage in the notes document?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3
Steven Justice | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:39 AM

Greetings, all. I'm a new user; I've used most of the other big packages in the past, all of them good, but none of them is as good as this is.

I love that highlights are stored as notes, and love that I can create as many documents as I want for those notes. But here's my question. Say that I have highlighted a passage while reading on my Mac, like this:

Now, I look at the associated document, and I find that the passage is truncated (also unnecessarily italicized, but I can live with that):

More important, when I export the notes document, only the truncated passage appears. This is the real problem for me.

And here is the puzzle. If I highlight the very same passage on my iPad, the whole of the passage is quoted in the notes document. If I look at that notes document (on my Mac, say), I can only see part of it, which looks like this:

But now when I export the notes document, the whole passage is quoted.

This leaves me in the ridiculous position of reading something on my Mac, and grabbing the iPad whenever I want to highlight something, just so that the associated notes will be useful as notes.

What am I doing wrong when on the Mac? Is there any way to get Logos not to truncate highlights?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Posts 25328
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 11:31 AM

Hi Steve - and welcome to the forums.

Thank you for explaining the issue you are seeing so clearly.

This inconsistency is something which has been discussed on several occasions but I'm afraid I can't find the links to them at the moment and forget the details.

i believe that one behaviour is deemed to be correct and the other incorrect but can't remember which.

Unfortunately, as a user, there is nothing which you can do about this.

hopefully someone will be along shortly who can provide more of the background.

Graham

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 11:35 AM

Welcome to the forums. 

The way Logos sees it, the iPad app has a 'bug', or perhaps we should say that they haven't had time to implement the truncation there yet. Not all of us agree...Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 29887
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 12:02 PM

Welcome to the forums! Smile

As has been stated, the iOS behavior is considered a "bug". I understand what you want to do and why, but Logos hasn't created that feature. The line which has the quote (truncated or otherwise) is the title line of the note... There isn't a quote line or quote view, which would be nice. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3
Steven Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 8:37 AM

Many thanks to all for the quick and clear replies. I hope that the iPad "bug" goes unfixed for a long, long time....

Posts 3089
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 9:01 AM

Steven Justice:
I find that the passage is truncated

The truncated passage has been edited because it is now the note's title.  If you want the whole passage there, you can copy the whole passage and paste it into the title box. Highlight it, use Ctrl-C (on a PC) to copy, and Ctrl-V to paste it into the note title text box.  This will also remove the italics that you don't want.

Now when you export/print, you'll see the full text (that you copied and pasted) with your note content.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3
Steven Justice | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 11:59 AM

Doc B:

Steven Justice:
I find that the passage is truncated

The truncated passage has been edited because it is now the note's title.  If you want the whole passage there, you can copy the whole passage and paste it into the title box. Highlight it, use Ctrl-C (on a PC) to copy, and Ctrl-V to paste it into the note title text box.  This will also remove the italics that you don't want.

Now when you export/print, you'll see the full text (that you copied and pasted) with your note content.

So you can! Thanks, Doc B; I hadn't realized the note title was editable.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS