Logos 5 reader hardware

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 3 2013 5:40 PM

I am looking for a Logos 5 reader hardware device for portable use.

I have NO working knowledge of these hardware platforms and need solid advice.

My budget is 200.00 or less.

Need decent battery life.

Need enough storage for Logos 5 & at least a dozen resources -

Reverse Interlinear such as ESV.

Maybe 4-6 Hebrew & Greek Lexicons.

A few commentaries.

A few Note files.

I don't know what Operating systems are available on these devices.

I would need some network connectivity for Synchronization.

Are there any devices which would run Windows?

I am asking the User Forum community for the best advice from your experience on an economical viable reliable system.

Please mention PROs & CONs from your experience.

All advice is welcome....

Living in the Fruit of the Spirit! Big Smile

For the glory of God alone! Yes

Posts 29792
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 5:59 PM

$200 isn't going to buy much... What do you mean by "Logos 5 reader hardware"?

For clarification: "Logos 5" is a desktop application which runs on Windows or Mac. L5 does NOT run on "mobile" devices running iOS, Android, or Windows 8 RT. Logos does make mobile apps, which have varying capabilities. The mobile app for Apple's iOS is the most advanced, but the one for Android is close behind. The app for Windows RT is very limited. 

To be realistic, your best bet is an Android (I can't believe I just wrote that) device. I would look first at the nook hd, which is on a fire sale. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-hd-plus-barnes-noble/1110060512 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 6:07 PM

200 quid? piastres? rupees? Canadian dollars?

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 6:23 PM

By reader hardware, I mean how I will be using Logos.

Primarily to read passages at Sunday services instead of using print bible.

I will not be running passage guides, exegetical guides or word studies.

Mostly following the message, occasionally looking at original language text and maybe some word lookup.

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 6:24 PM

greenbacks! (r they still green?)

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 6:31 PM

The Nook you mentioned, will it run Logos 5 in an Android app?

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 6:54 PM

Amazon Fire HD might be your best bet… The Android app is not quite as developed as the iOS app.. but an IPad mini is more than $200. The devices make good readers and with the aid of an internet connection can do word studies and passage guides, but the mobile apps are not as powerful as Logos desktop.

-dan

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 6:58 PM

Dennis Audet:
Logos 5 in an Android app?

The Android/iOS apps are not labeled as 4 or 5  they are just the mobile App. MOST all items are available on the device but there are a few legacy items that are not on the mobile device. Oxford Dictionary of Christian Church is the one example i can think of an item not available on mobile.

-Dan

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:00 PM

Dennis Audet:
Reverse Interlinear such as ESV.

RI will require a wifif connection.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:09 PM

Dennis, there are a few guidelines that I would give regarding tablets.

1. Space: Try to get a good size harddrive. 32 GB. More than what you will need, the you may find other uses for it.

2.  Ram: 1 GB

3. Processor: The faster the better

4. OS: 4.0 or greater (Ice Cream Sandwich or later)

5. Google Play: Make sure that it come with the software to access the Google Play market. https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1727131?hl=en

6. Make sure it has a slot for a sd card, and buy one. The android app from Logos needs to have the card in the tablet, or it will not function.

This is just an example. Shop around. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=30&Nav=|c:6957|&Sort=3

For that price you may be better off with a good refurbished one. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_3/179-7017809-8954453?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tablet%20android&sprefix=tab%2Caps%2C268

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 29792
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:13 PM

Dennis Audet:

The Nook you mentioned, will it run Logos 5 in an Android app?

As I wrote above, "Logos 5" is a desktop app, and runs only on PC or Mac. The Nook will run the Android app, which is not "Logos 5." You would have access to your "mobile enabled resources," which may be a large portion of your library, but not all. You will have access to all of those books online, or you can download some for offline usage. Many features will require an Internet connection. You will be able to read & highlight offline. 

Posts 29792
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:15 PM

You may want to peruse the Logos Android forum. 

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:16 PM

Dennis, here is what Logos looks like on an Android Tablet http://www.logos.com/training/android

This is how it looks on a Kindle Fire http://www.logos.com/training/kindlefire

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:17 PM

With budget constraint of $ 200 or less, personally would look for an Android device running 4.2 or newer; thread => Hebrew vowel points is in Android forum.

Found Amazon has an Android 4.2 tablet for $ 75.99 => http://www.amazon.com/Alldaymall-A70X-Dual-Core-Capacitive-Multi-Touchscreen/dp/B00CTKSAS8 and another one for $ 64.99 (White) => http://www.amazon.com/Chromo-Android-Jellybean-Capacitive-Screen/dp/B009W49ALA

Caveat: personally not know if these devices are viable for Logos use.

Logos has Android installation => http://www.logos.com/support/android/install and Android support => http://www.logos.com/support/Android

A refurbished iPad Mini costs a bit more at $ 279 => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

When looking at tablets, be aware that Windows RT can only run a Logos mobile app => Which features are in the Logos app for Windows RT?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:21 PM

Dennis Audet:

My budget is 200.00 or less.

The full Logos program only runs on Real Windows.

Unless you find a really great tremendous good deal, there is nothing under $350 - $400.

When you say portable, I assume that means you want a small tablet like device?

If so, your main choices are Android or Apple.

Decent Android Tablets can be had for $200.

Barnes & Noble has a great deal on their Nook HD and HD+ devices right now.

The HD+ is a larger 9 inch display with excellent pixel density and is on a par with Apples retina display on the high end ipad.

Just keep in mind that this is not going to run the full Logos program. The Logos for Android program is very limited. Offerings by Olivetree and others are much better if you want to have several resources open and refer back and forth. But the Logos app does allow you to read your Logos resources on Android.

Read posts in the Android forum here to learn more about the limitations. Last time I checked, notes did not work properly and they were having sync issues.

I recently bought TWO nooks. One is the e-ink Simple touch, and does not run Logos (well it can with some hacking, but not with good results). I picked this up for only $50 on sale. I find myself reading on this more than my other tablets. I really like it. I also picked up very cheap ($179) a Nook HD+ with 32GB.

I also have owned a Samsung Galaxy tab II 7" Android tablet. (about $180) It works fine, but the display on it cannot be compared to the display on the Nook HD or HD+.

I would say that right now the best Android tablet would be the Google Nexus 10, which has a 10.1-inch 2560×1600 pixel display (300 ppi). But that is out of your price range. Apples iPad is also a good choice, but again way out of your price range.

The Nook HD+ has a 9 inch display with 1,920 x 1,280 resolution (pixel density of 256 ppi). You cannot get an Android tablet with a display this good at this price anywhere else. And the Nook line now has full access to the Google play store, so you do not have to root or hack the device to install Android apps (Like Logos).

Current Prices:

Nook HD  (7" display) with 8GB $129

Nook HD  (7" display) with 16GB $149

Nook HD+  (9" display) with 16GB $149

Nook HD+  (9" display) with 32GB $179

Keep in mind that the Logos Android app will not be able to store your resources on an SD-CARD. So the amount of Internal Memory may be an issue if you have a Large number of Resources. Logos on Android reads books directly from WIFI from their servers ... but frequently used resources you will probably want to download and store on the device. Or if you are like me, you may even want to download and store your entire Library and turn WIFI off to save battery use. My Library has about 460 resources and takes up 2GB of space. If your library is a lot smaller than that you might be able to get away with an 8GB tablet. If you are planning on doing anything else other than Logos with this tablet, I would get at least 16GB just to be safe ... especially if you will need to store audio or video files etc. I got the 32GB version but I use my tablet for more than just Logos, have a lot of apps installed.

Also, these prices are a huge discount. Nobody knows for sure how long these prices will continue. The HD+ is $120 off.

The Google Nexus 10 is probably the only Android Tablet you will find with a better display than the HD+, but it is a $500 tablet.

I honestly do not think you can do much better for under $200, but others on the forum might have alternative ideas for you.

Posts 29792
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:32 PM

John:

Nobody knows for sure how long these prices will continue. The HD+ is $120 off.

John - thanks for your post. It's always best to hear from those using the devices... I've seen the Nook+ and was impressed... But not tempted. I'll stick with my iPad. Smile

FYI — B&N did announce that they are leaving the hardware business. The current prices reflect a "fire sale" as they liquidate stock. 

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:40 PM

alabama24:

FYI — B&N did announce that they are leaving the hardware business. The current prices reflect a "fire sale" as they liquidate stock. 

Yep, they are getting out of the hardware business. So once current inventory is gone, the sale is over.

I was at my local B&N store last week and talked with the manager a little bit. He said they will still be selling Nooks in the stores, but the devices themselves will probably be made by other companies in the future. I asked him if he knew any details about that, and he mentioned Microsoft. I don't think he really knows which direction they are heading, but I was already aware that Microsoft has a large investment in B&N.

Maybe we will see B&N Nook running Windows RT in the near future? The rumor mill on the internet is probably not reliable at this point, so nobody knows for sure.

What is for sure is that the display on the HD+ is better than my wifes iPad 4 with the Retina Display, and it costs less than half the money Cool

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 2:56 AM

Dan

Please help me understand why a reverse interlinear would require a WiFi connection.

Thanks

Posts 159
Dennis Audet | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 3:05 AM

Lynden,

You've lost me on # 4 - Ice Cream Sandwich?

# 5 - What is Google Play?

Thanks

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 4:03 AM

Dennis Audet:

You've lost me on # 4 - Ice Cream Sandwich?

# 5 - What is Google Play?

Hi Dennis,

I am not Lynden Smile, but maybe able to clarify.

The various iterations of the Android operating system (OS) are designated by (to my mind) flamboyant monickers (Honeycomb, Jelly Bean, etc.). I understand that Lynden is recommending that you look at devices which run, at a minimum, OS 4.0 (which goes by the name of Ice Cream Sandwich). There is a Wikipedia article here which details the Android version history,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Ice_Cream_Sandwich#Android_4.0.E2.80.934.0.2_Ice_Cream_Sandwich_.28API_level_14.29

Google Play is, in effect, the Android store and, as I understand it, the means by which you would most easily access the Logos app on Android devices.

Again, there is a relevant article on Wikipedia, here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_play

Blessings,

Big Smile 

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS