- better tag management

Yes

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 12 2013 1:57 PM

Sogol:

Donovan R. Palmer:

- better tag management

Yes

Actually, Bradley has already said that better tag management is planned for a release "in the near future": http://community.logos.com/forums/p/73610/514506.aspx#514506. If you keep wishing for it in L6, they might delay it.Stick out tongue

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1706
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:24 AM

I wish for a timeline/birth record lineage that we can choose something like Adam and then Jesus and see the full lineage.  It would be neat to plug in the persons name and then another name and have customizable timeline or lineage records, right?

Posts 1706
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:30 AM

I would also like Logos developers to step back and imagine a person sitting in a Bible study - perhaps with a MS Surface Pro with all their books on it (nobody laugh...I think its possible someday) and the Pastor says "Today we are going to examine the Doctrine of ......(fill in the blank)" and the user/church member is able to find useful information to join the conversation BEFORE THE PASTOR MOVES ON TO THE NEXT TOPIC.

Faster simpler searches that do not default to a find everything including sermons and illustrations I will not open in the next 2 minutes Smile

Posts 1706
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:31 AM

also, its been mirrored and repeated here ad infinitum, but better help functionality and some actual training built into the very expensive software.  Why should I have to spend hundreds on third party training?!!!!

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:37 AM

Joshua Lieder:
and the Pastor says "Today we are going to examine the Doctrine of ......(fill in the blank)" and the user/church member is able to find useful information to join the conversation

How much does the L5 Topic Guide go towards addressing this requirement?

It seems to be what it is designed to do

Posts 1706
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:39 AM

...and I think it bears repeating....how about a CLICK HERE FOR DAILY DEVOTIONAL - a simple default Home Page view that only shows devotionals and updates daily.  I would like my homepage to be useful on my huge second monitor screen not chock full of ads and tiny squibs of devotional materials I have to hunt for.

Thanks.

Posts 1706
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:41 AM

Graham...not everything is a topic though....still to be fair I will spend a little more time with it.

I just dont think developers imagine us everyday folk sitting at a Bible study when they develop these things.

If they did, they wouldn't bury the searches in hard to find menus in the android version - but thats a digression.

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:53 AM

Joshua Lieder:
...and I think it bears repeating....how about a CLICK HERE FOR DAILY DEVOTIONAL - a simple default Home Page view that only shows devotionals and updates daily.  I would like my homepage to be useful on my huge second monitor screen not chock full of ads and tiny squibs of devotional materials I have to hunt for.

Again - this can be changed using the current Homepage customisation options.

Not trying to be awkward but trying to understand what you are looking for which isn't currently available.

Do you - for example - want the options of different versions of the Home Page?

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:55 AM

Joshua Lieder:
Graham...not everything is a topic though....still to be fair I will spend a little more time with it.

True - but most "doctrines" are (I haven't checked "each doctrine" but seems like the sort of things you would expect to find in the Topic Guide)Smile

More generally, though, to address your question I think requires some pre-work in terms of setting up collections so that you can search an appropriate subset as required.

I'm not sure what the developers could do to make this easier.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 7:05 AM

Joshua Lieder:

I would also like Logos developers to step back and imagine a person sitting in a Bible study - perhaps with a MS Surface Pro with all their books on it (nobody laugh...I think its possible someday) and the Pastor says "Today we are going to examine the Doctrine of ......(fill in the blank)" and the user/church member is able to find useful information to join the conversation BEFORE THE PASTOR MOVES ON TO THE NEXT TOPIC.

Faster simpler searches that do not default to a find everything including sermons and illustrations I will not open in the next 2 minutes Smile

Why a doctrine?  Don't you preach scripture—or just doctrine.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1706
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 10:30 AM

George....we read and study The Bible....but we also are studying "Great Doctrines in The Bible".  I am talking about being able to find something easily and quickly really.Wink

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:17 PM

Graham Criddle:

Joshua Lieder:

True - but most "doctrines" are (I haven't checked "each doctrine" but seems like the sort of things you would expect to find in the Topic Guide)Smile

I wouldn't recommend you to try any specifically 'Catholic' topics. They're generally either non-existent, empty or just plain wrong.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 22639
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:34 PM

Hi fgh

fgh:
I wouldn't recommend you to try any specifically 'Catholic' topics. They're generally either non-existent, empty or just plain wrong.

Fair point - sorry about that.

I wonder whether this will change in the Logos product or whether this will be addressed in Verbum. I would assume it would be generic but it will be interesting to see.

Graham

Posts 6585
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:45 PM

fgh:

So then the next version of the software, should have the topic guide, sermon starter guide,etc., tweaked to reflect the faith tradition of the various denominations. If I type in the command box and tell it to set Verbum to yes, the results on a topic like "Mass" or "Sacrament", should still pull from your library (the user has Platinum) + Verbum Capstone, but the hand edited summary that comes up should reflect that of the tradition of the adherents of the Faith which it appeals to. This requires a lot of coding, and close consultation with the scholars of that particular faith.

By the time Logos 6 is released, we will have an Adventist Base package. 

I ran a sermon starter guide on the word "Sabbath". The synopsis that it gave is that the Sabbath was eventually changed to Sunday. Not a good strong selling point among Sabbath Keepers.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:55 PM

Lynden Williams:
I ran a sermon starter guide on the word "Sabbath". The synopsis that it gave is that the Sabbath was eventually changed to Sunday. Not a good strong selling point among Sabbath Keepers.

Although there is a history of referring to Sunday as the Sabbath, that has never actually been true.  The Sabbath was and always will be Saturday.  Note what Ignatius had to say regarding the matter:

9. If, then, those who had lived in antiquated practices came to newness of hope, no longer keeping the Sabbath but living in accordance with the Lord’s day, on which our life also arose through him and his death (which some deny), the mystery through which we came to believe, and because of which we patiently endure, in order that we might be found to be disciples of Jesus Christ, our only teacher,

Epistle to the Magnesians 9

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 6585
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 2:02 PM

Logos is indexing, so I cannot give the exact quote, but like fgh said, the LCV needs to be tweaked, and as more Base packages are designed around various Faiths, some statements, will have to move from the general Evangelical perspective which has served Logos and the customer base well up to this point, and begin specializing based on what base package you set it to.

I can hear the programmers groaning now. Fortunately, in the cyber world that we live in, the info can be sent electronically, to Logos.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 3:06 PM

Lynden Williams:
So then the next version of the software, should have the topic guide, sermon starter guide,etc., tweaked to reflect the faith tradition of the various denominations. If I type in the command box and tell it to set Verbum to yes, the results on a topic like "Mass" or "Sacrament", should still pull from your library (the user has Platinum) + Verbum Capstone, but the hand edited summary that comes up should reflect that of the tradition of the adherents of the Faith which it appeals to. This requires a lot of coding, and close consultation with the scholars of that particular faith.

That is not at all what I said (or want). 

What comes up should be the same for all. The order it comes up in is already 'tweaked' by our prioritizations. No extra work needed in that respect.

What I'm talking about is that it is impossible to even run a Topic Guide for Papal Infallibility, or Transsubstantiation, or Dormition (or Theotokos or Consubstantiation, for that matter). Those topics simply don't exist. Perpetual Virginity exists, but comes up empty. And Immaculate Conception gives me something else (the birth of Jesus, instead of the conception of Mary). That's 'simply' a matter of adding a lot of new topics to the LCV, and then correctly tagging articles with those topics.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11
Vince Schmidt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2013 7:54 AM

Ditch reliance on Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) libraries, and recode the GUI to be truly cross-platform (GTk, Qt, others). This should further reduce the costs and risks associated with maintaining multiple code bases (i.e. MS Windows, Mac), and will be a significant step toward finally running Logos on Linux ...

(Even Netflix can be run on Linux now; not native code, it runs via Wine, but it _does_ run.)

Posts 6585
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2013 6:42 AM

Rss Blog reader in Logos 6.0 http://community.logos.com/forums/t/70768.aspx

Page 3 of 7 (122 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS