Which paper Study Bible?

Page 4 of 5 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 83 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1557
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 10:26 AM

Steve, I don't read theologians, and I don't do theology (and it's not appropriate for this board anyway). Smith is a Biblical scholar, and a prominent-Biblical-scholar, not a prominent-Catholic-interpreter. If you want his view on the topic, I suggest his book on Genesis 1. Those you cite are either theologians or (with the exception of Fitzmeyer) not Hebrew Bible scholars.

I only mentioned Smith's Catholic background as a way to show that reading Genesis 1:1 this way has strong supporters among a variety of religious backgrounds, and is not simply a "liberal" interpretation as derisively claimed. It is not a liberal/conservative view, nor a denominational view. It's a claim of Hebrew syntax. No claim of Magesterial or nihil obstat imprimatur was intended or suggested. 

And again, I only brought this up to counter the claim that the ESV Study Bible was so encompassing in presenting many views, when here is such a basic one in the first verse that receives a very narrow mention. 

It has been an illuminating thread. Perhaps more of us (including myself) need to read more outside our preference, whether conservative/liberal, scholar/theologian, or across denominational lines. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2353
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 6:36 PM

John:

David Bailey:

There is only one bible that fits the bill: The Thompson Chain Bible.  You can get it in the original NASB and NIV.

I think the original Thompson Chain was KJV Big Smile

By "original" I believe he is speaking of the 1977 NASB vs the 1995 update of the NASB. Yes Thompson was around in KJV before NASB, but the only NASB available in Thompson is the "original NASB"

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2353
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 6:42 PM

Unix:

I would never use the ESV translation just because it's not even thoroughly updated. The scholarship in it is dated,

The original text of the ESV was 2001 and the Logos text of the ESV is 2011 - how much more updated do you want?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 7:49 PM

David Thomas:

By "original" I believe he is speaking of the 1977 NASB vs the 1995 update of the NASB. Yes Thompson was around in KJV before NASB, but the only NASB available in Thompson is the "original NASB"

Yes I think you are correct.

The Thompson Chain brings back lots of good memories for me. I never used it, but I had several close friends who did (KJV version).

I did a little searching and found that the 1984 NIV in a Thompson Chain is still available and even with a nice discount.

I have a small collection of 1984 NIV Bibles now, but have decided to go with the HCSB. Either way seems to be a good choice.

Posts 2353
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 8:11 PM

John:

The Thompson Chain brings back lots of good memories for me. I never used it, but I had several close friends who did (KJV version).

When I graduated from High School (1983) my parents gave me a leather-bound Thompson to begin my studies at Moody Bible Institute. I carried that Bible with me when I receive my H.S. diploma (it was a secular school and I carried my Bible as one last testimony to my classmates). As soon as I got to Moody I found the profs all used NASB so I didn't get to use it much, but I did use it for preparing topical sermons.

Posts 2720
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:01 AM

I neglected to point out that as much as I love having a study Bible nearby, they are often heavy and large. The very best study Bible is often simply the Bible you have in front of you. I got a very good deal on a slightly blemished leather Pitt Minion Bible in ESV. It's small, slim, very readable and it goes with me everywhere. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:52 AM

Josh:

The first study Bible that I ever bought for myself was a NASB Ryrie Study Bible. I loved it.

Me too!

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 382
Sacrifice | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 7:24 AM

The new ESV Gospel Transformation Bible is good from what I have seen so far. It will be released next month:

http://www.crossway.org/bibles/esv-gospel-application-bible-hccase/

We just heard this week that the publisher for the Sprit of the Reformation Study Bible will re-release it in 2015 – probably in ESV or NASB. Presently there are only a few Chinese copies left:

http://store.thirdmill.org/home.php?cat=14

Yours In Christ

Posts 566
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:49 AM

I can highly recommend the Norton Critical Edition of the KJV published last year edited by Herbert Marks, Gerald Hammond, and Austin Busch as a prime example of the study Bible format. Trenchant annotations throughout are deeply helpful to the judicious reader hoping to read the text afresh. Historical and exegetical content in the appendices go far beyond the material found in any other study Bible I've seen, including comparative and literary texts as well as the more common reception histories. They are beautiful examples of what can be done with the study Bible format.

Old Testament: http://www.amazon.com/English-Bible-King-James-Version/dp/0393927458

New Testament: http://www.amazon.com/English-Bible-King-James-Version/dp/039397507X

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 12:55 PM

Also the combined http://www.amazon.com/English-Bible-King-James-Version/dp/0393347044/ref=sr_1_2/184-8867746-8525962?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377287311&sr=1-2 (to be released in Nov).

This one would be good on a Kindle

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 10:06 PM

How about the NIV Archaeological Study Bible?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 8:12 AM

Precept Ministries International published The NASB New Inductive Study Bible revision in 2013.

Thankful for leather bound Complete Jewish Bible and a number of other printed Bibles, including 1611 edition.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2353
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 8:18 AM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:

Hey guys... which paper study bible would you recommend? (yes I'm a Logos user, but I still want to know). The one caveat is no "Message" or paraphrase-type Bibles... I'm really picky about that, being an NASB user to begin with.

I'm certainly willing to look at other translations though... in fact that might be a good idea just to see different scholarly inputs... (by which I don't mean the New World Translation or anything!) Big Smile

Don't know if you ever made a decision, but here is an option - https://store.bible.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1 

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 10:05 AM

David Thomas:

Don't know if you ever made a decision, but here is an option - https://store.bible.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1 

NET Bible? isn't that the one that gets updated every couple weeks? Surprise

Posts 2353
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 10:11 AM

John:

NET Bible? isn't that the one that gets updated every couple weeks? Surprise

Semper Reformanda! Any dead tree document is only a snapshot of the best information available at a given time. Should any of the historical councils of the church not been held just because a previous or later council may refute/refine its conclusion?

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 12:50 PM

David Thomas:

Semper Reformanda! Any dead tree document is only a snapshot of the best information available at a given time. Should any of the historical councils of the church not been held just because a previous or later council may refute/refine its conclusion?

Yes, Semper Reformanda!       Yes!                             *smile*                                           Peace!

Does anyone remember how we got the NetBible in the days of Logos 3?  I remember it was free at the time.  Somebody from NetBible.org came onto the Newsgroups, I believe, and showed us how to get it????

Somehow I have both the "noted" edition and the "noteless" edition ....     

What I'm wondering    (having just looked at the NetBible online ...)   .........     how often do you think Logos should update our resource to match the NetBible.org version???         Actually, I'm pleased with Logos' many resource updates..     Just wondering. ....       

BTW, I'm going to be looking at the "noted" version a wee bit more ...      Thanks for mentioning it.

It's one of my many versions that I've just been taking for granted in my studies of God's Word!           ...   and it deserves a "peek"!        *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 2:10 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Somehow I have both the "noted" edition and the "noteless" edition ....     

Thanks for your comment Charles, it was very noteworthy Cool

In BW9 I have the translation and the study notes. The notes are pretty good. The translation has gone gender neutral to some extent, so I don't use it.

Of what importance is the human race, that you should notice them? Of what importance is mankind, that you should pay attention to them, and make them a little less than the heavenly beings? You grant mankind honor and majesty; (Psalm 8:4-5 NET)

Can you find the messianic prophecy in those verses? I can't.

But I do feel better that feminists will not be offended if they ever decide to read the Bible Big Smile

Interestingly, they did the quotation in Hebrews 2:6 correctly:

Instead someone testified somewhere: "What is man that you think of him or the son of man that you care for him? (Heb 2:6 NET)

There might be some feminists that are very offended if they read that one Big Smile

Posts 65
Dave M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 5:44 AM

Carmen, to learn more and apply more, create your own study Bible. Purchase a wide margin Bible in your favorite translation and go for it.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 6:47 AM

John ... I know you're trying really hard with the new forum manners guide; reading plan to follow.

But there's no offence. Most feminists DO read the Bible, noting (1) it's meant for men for rather obvious reasons  (visit a prison or see who thrives on raping / pillaging) and (2) the Pastorals are pretty blunt ... women are already saved (I'd assume also farmers), but optionally can try and nudge the men in the right direction using gender-specific Bibles to help them hopefully 'connect the dots'.

For extra credit reading: Who had to go to the Temple for repeated sin-atonement? Now, apply the good Apostle Paul's typology, as is taught in all seminaries. 

Party!!!

Back to the thread, the idea of create-you-own study Bible is excellent. I have 2 PBs, one for the OT and one for the NT. Incudes my notes, clippings, internet articles and so forth.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 8:24 AM

John:

Instead someone testified somewhere: "What is man that you think of him or the son of man that you care for him? (Heb 2:6 NET)

There might be some feminists that are very offended if they read that one Big Smile

Not all feminists would be offended. According to Richard Floyd http://richardlfloyd.com/category/inclusive-language/

"Deborah M. Belonick, in a discussion of the Christological and Trinitarian debates of the fourth century, concludes “In the theology of the early church, the traditional Trinitarian terms are precise theological terms. Therefore these terms are not exchangeable. Through them humanity encounters the persons of the Trinity, and through them relationships among members of the Godhead are defined.” She goes on to say, “There is no historical evidence that the terms ‘Father, Son, and Holy Spirit’ were products of a patriarchal culture, ‘male’ theology, or a hierarchical church” ' (Union Seminary Quarterly Review 40 (1985) pp 31–342)."

Jane 3:16    "For Goddess so loved Gaia that she gave one of her many Muses ....."    Dangerous stuff!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 4 of 5 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS