Which paper Study Bible?

Page 5 of 5 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 83 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 9:41 AM

Denise:

John ... I know you're trying really hard with the new forum manners guide; reading plan to follow.

Huh? what new forum manners guide? Huh?

Posts 2348
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 9:48 AM

John:

Denise:

John ... I know you're trying really hard with the new forum manners guide; reading plan to follow.

Huh? what new forum manners guide? Huh?

I wonder if she is referring to this other thread on the Forum? http://community.logos.com/forums/t/74380.aspx 

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 1:07 PM

John:

Milford Charles Murray:

Somehow I have both the "noted" edition and the "noteless" edition ....     

Thanks for your comment Charles, it was very noteworthy Cool

In BW9 I have the translation and the study notes. The notes are pretty good. The translation has gone gender neutral to some extent, so I don't use it.

Of what importance is the human race, that you should notice them? Of what importance is mankind, that you should pay attention to them, and make them a little less than the heavenly beings? You grant mankind honor and majesty; (Psalm 8:4-5 NET)

Can you find the messianic prophecy in those verses? I can't.

But I do feel better that feminists will not be offended if they ever decide to read the Bible Big Smile

Interestingly, they did the quotation in Hebrews 2:6 correctly:

Instead someone testified somewhere: "What is man that you think of him or the son of man that you care for him? (Heb 2:6 NET)

There might be some feminists that are very offended if they read that one Big Smile

Peace, John!            *smile*

Thanks for your post!                       I have a large list of projects that I want to tackle using Logos 5 and all of its powers and blessings kept as a reminder to me in one of my many note files.         Because of your post for which I am grateful I am adding a study of Psalm 8 and will be again examining it as a Messianic Psalm (which I have always believed it was!) over against New Testament quotes of this Psalm.  Hope to tackle that new Project within a couple of weeks as I finish a few other of my projects.             *smile*              I appreciate the Hebrews quote also and need to study it ....   the writer to the Hebrews certainly knew -- I would think -- where the quote came from yet said  ....    "someone, somewhere!"                                                                                                                                                            

6 διεμαρτύρατο δέ πού τις λέγων·   (I see "martyr" in there!   *smile*)

In regard to Psalm 8 being Messianic ...    firstly, I believed that because my Professors told me that in the 1950's!    *smile*    At that time I couldn't quite "see it"; however, they said it ...   so I believed.      When I get to heaven I'm sure they will be glad I "believed" because of their testimony, eh???     (back to the word "martyr," eh?)       Meanwhile, for all these years as I've been meditating and studying God's Word, I still believe Psalm 8 to be Messianic, now -- I surmise(!) and hope and trust -- because of the Holy Spirit!   (... who "outranks" my "sainted" professors any day of the week, eh??? )

So, thank you, John!

BTW, I don't understand your comment about the offended feminists ...        I just did a text comparison of the total of the 47 English Versions that I have as Logos resources, and I find the Net Bible pretty much the same as the vast majority of the others, including the old, old, old KJV.  Only The Message which is a "paraphrase" by Peterson was quite different.

Even when I look just at the old KJV, I feel that the Messianic comes from the New Testament quote AND the historic Witness of the Church regarding this interpretation.  In other words, I think one must have faith to believe it to be Messianic....

What is man, that thou art mindful of him?

And the son of man, that thou visitest him?

5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels,

And hast crowned him with glory and honour. [1]

logosres:kjv1900;ref=BibleKJV.Ps8.4-5;off=0;ctx=ou_hast_ordained$3B_$0A_~4$C2$A0_$EF$BB$BFf$EF$BB$BFWhat_is_man,_t

[1] The Holy Bible: King James Version. (2009) (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version.). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 8:31 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

BTW, I don't understand your comment about the offended feminists ... ?

Sometimes my sarcastic sense of humor is difficult for others to understand, I apologize. On the topic of Gender Neutral Bible translation, the key motivation is to reduce "offensive" masculine language from the Bible. Generally speaking, it is the feminist movement which has been behind this trend. They have already made tremendous inroads into academia. You will find their influence in all the school textbooks.

And the .NET Bible is really moderate in this sense. The worst offenders are of course the NRSV, in which perhaps the best English translation ever produced was about to be published after more than 10 years of work by the worlds leading scholars from all denominations and backgrounds. And then it was "Gender Neutralized" by a "style" committee before going to print. Many of its translators were horrified, but the political agenda prevailed, and hence what would have been the best English translation ever produced is basically a flop as far as the free market is concerned.

Then came the TNIV. After the NRSV came out, somebody over at what is now called "Biblica" was chomping at the bit to gender neutralize the Bible too. With the TNIV they found out that it wouldn't sell in a free market. So they took away the freedom, utilized their monopoly position, and replace the 1984 NIV which had over 40% of the market, and slipped in the TNIV in Trojan horse fashion ... while at the same time leveraging copyright laws to prevent the printing or distribution of the 1984 NIV text.

I was told by a manager at a Zondervan Family bookstore that they were not allowed to close out their remaining stock of 1984 NIV's. They were forced to ship them back to the publisher, where they were destroyed. Can you imagine that? A publisher of Bibles destroying Bibles in order to push the feminist agenda? I found it truly amazing.

So essentially the two best English translations of the Bible ever produced have been destroyed by the feminist movement. I know many will argue that these were not the two best ... everyone has their favorites ... but the 1984 NIV definitely won in the marketplace. And the NRSV is still considered the best by academia even with its de-genderized corruption. More scholarship and work went into the NRSV than any other that I am aware of.

So today we have the ESV and the CSB as the leading alternatives. Unless you want to stick with the ultra-literal and venerable NASB95, with English about as smooth as a jigsaw ... and then there is always the old KJV, which doesn't seem to me to even be in English at all ... more like a second language in itself. But I know some people love that second language. I just figure if I have to learn a new language, it should be Greek, not Shakespearean prose.

Hope this clarifies what I was getting at a bit. Trying to avoid controversy a bit now, so I'm not going to mention to Denise that this whole big mess all "humankind" is in was Eve's fault Big Smile

Page 5 of 5 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS