Need Help for the 5 Best Books In Each of the Different Categories

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 87
Pinoy Preacher | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 13 2013 9:11 AM

Hello everyone...

Just would like to ask for suggestions as to what would be the 3 to 5 best books in each of the book categories in the Logos store... I'm doing this as I am planning to build my Logos Library by finding reviews, for the major suggestions, I will receive.

The categories I am specifically interested are:

Bibles, Bible Dictionaries, Bible Commentary Series, Single Commentaries, Bible Encyclopedias, Biblical History, Church History, Biblical Theology, Word Studies and Language and Interpretation, Leadership and Ministry Resources, Preaching Resources, Pastoral Care and Counseling, Family and Practical Life, Devotionals, Handbooks, Systematic Theology, and Study Guides.

I only own the Minimal Crossgrade for both Logos 4 and 5, the Preachers' Commentary Series, TDNTA, The Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology, The Essential Bible Dictionary, Dictionary of Theological Terms, An Etymological Glossary of Nearly 2,500 English Words in Common Use Derived from the Greek, Visual Survey of the Bible, And the Jeremiah Lifeworks Library which includes:

• New Strong's Dictionary of Hebrew and Greek Words
  • New Strong's Guide to Bible Words
  • Strong's Enhanced Lexicon
  • Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of OT/NT Words
  • Believer's Bible Commentary
  • Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Commentary
  • Nelson's Study Bible
  • I Never Knew That Was in the Bible
  • New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
  • Nelson's Topical Bible Index
  • Where to Find it in the Bible
  • Nelson's Complete Book of Bible Maps and Charts
  • Nelson's Teaching Outlines of the Bible
  • Nelson's Complete Book of Stories, Illustrations & Quotes
  • Speaker's Sourcebook of New Illustrations
  • Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary
  • Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Manners and Customs
  • Smith Bible Dictionary

I do want to carefully select the resources that i will buy. I am a pastor from the Philippines and budget is the very first concern I have in slowly building a small library. I wouldn't want to waste any penny on something that's not going to fit my need for a preaching and teaching ministry.

Thanks for any help that I'll receive from your replies.

Posts 2874
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 9:43 AM

Pinoy Preacher:

I wouldn't want to waste any penny on something that's not going to fit my need for a preaching and teaching ministry.

Will your choice of resources depend on the Church / Denomination that you are in?

[I have resources in my Library that totally contradict each other.  I want and use both but you might not want either]

Posts 1868
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 10:37 AM

It is quite difficult to recommend resources, especially when we know so little about you.  But I will offer the following limited advice.

Bibles:  You want original language bibles.  This means some form of BHS for the Old Testament and Nestle-Aland for the New.  Over time these have been released with various morphological tagging (to show some basic grammer as well as root forms of words). All these different taggings have their advantages and disadvantages.

The UBS and SBL would also be acceptable New Testament resources.

If you are talking ENGLISH bibles, that is a whole different can of worms.  My current "favorites" in Logos are ESV (which is used by my congregation in worship), NRSV (to which I have a love/hate relationship), NIV84 (which many around me still use), New Jerusalem for different slant, and sometimes New Living and/or The Message.  Of course, there are many fine translations out there - and you can nit-pick all of them.

Bible Dictionaries:  For the Original Languages, HALOT and BDAG are generally considered the best overall for quickly giving accurate and condensed information.  More information is also available in some other dictionaries like TDNT, but the articles ARE longer.

For English Bible Dictionaries, the ones I use the most are the New Bible Dictionary, and the Harper.  Both have their strong and weak points.

Bible Encyclopedias:  I use the Anchor-Yale and the IVP "Black" dictionaries the most.

Single Commentaries:  I have yet to find one I really like.  Oxford is my current favorite, but have also used the New Bible Commentary, the Harper, and the NET Bible Notes as well as the Knowles "Bible Guide", and the Faithlife study Bible.  Single volume commentaries are almost by definition too short.

Extended Commentaries?  All series vary considerably from volume to volume - and there are extensive reviews of many of them available elsewhere -  including multiple theological schools that have commentary recommendation lists available.  Consult these.

The rest of the categories?  I will not even hazard to say anything.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:44 PM

Have you looked at the free books at https://www.logos.com/products/search?start=&sort=pricelo&pageSize=60 and http://vyrso.com/products/search?q=&start=0&sort=pricelo&pageSize=60? The latter can change daily, the former at least monthly.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1868
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 2:09 PM

I use http://vyrso.com/products/search?q=&start=&sort=pricelo&pageSize=24&unlocked=no and http://www.logos.com/products/search?q=&start=&sort=pricelo&pageSize=24&unlocked=no myself.  If logged in, this only shows me stuff I don't have already.

SDG

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 87
Pinoy Preacher | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 4:39 PM

@David Arnes - Nope, any book from any author will be alright... I have around 50 pdf books from authors in our denomination which I am planning to use as PBs on Logos. Variety would be a plus for any library I think... The only requirement that I think I should mention is that the references I am looking for should somehow be more inclined towards the conservative side.  

@Ken and fgh - Thanks for the suggestions. I did take a quick look at the webpages you gave and quickly got 3 books by John Piper and the SBL... Again, thanks a lot!

Will take into consideration the IVP "Black" Dictionaries. Thinking as to which of NLT, The Message Bible, and the GOD'S WORD Translation will I add to my Library...

Posts 408
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:51 PM

My bibles: ESV, Nasb, niv84, nkjv, and the NLT. 

Commentaries: word, hermaneia, college press, expositor's, new American, niv application, wright's everyone series, and tyndale. 

Bible dictionaries: isbe, anchor. 

Lexicons: halot, bdag

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 8:19 PM

The natural complement for TDNTa is TWOT, but unfortunately moody books have been pulled, I do see you have been recommended the BDAG/HALOT (I do not have them so these may be less than a useful selection) but these are worth considering:

Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament (3 vols.)

Theological Lexicon of the New Testament (3 vols.)

You might wish to look at these commentaries too:

New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.) being worked on but not yet released for Logos highly valued by many.

Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching (INT) (43 vols.) 

Westminster Bible Companion Series (33 vols.) I have found this very nice.

Also commentary related but specifically focusing on the Revised Common Lectionary:

Feasting on the Word (12 vols.)

-Dan

Posts 87
Pinoy Preacher | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2013 11:23 PM

@ James C and Dan Francis - Thanks for all the recommendations... Will definitely look at each dictionaries and commentaries...

I was looking for the TWOT when I purchased the TDNTA but could not find it. Never knew that Moody has pulled out their books from Logos.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS