Word Biblical Commentary

Page 3 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 53 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 9:10 PM

Denise:
Kindle books have issues

One thing happened to me having to have me redownload everything to my mac… no matter what i did 6 of my books would not download. I called up Amazon after a week of frustration and was told.. those five books have corrections done by the publisher so in effective are a new book and are not automatically downloadable… but she was happy to update my ufo so i could redownload them. All i could do is shake my head and be very thankful that Logos and other software companies do not force you to phone in to manually update every book that has a correction.

-Dan

Posts 2883
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 9:49 PM

alabama24:

Monroe R Miller:
The response, like a broken record (you younger guys can get your grandparents to explain "broken record. ") was "they are under contract."

Let me give you an educated guess, which won't be the same "broken record" response...

Logos has a finite number of man-hours to accomplish all the various projects they need to accomplish. If I were to own the company, I would put my man-hours on the projects with the greatest ROI. That may or may not always be the ones with the biggest "profit margins." I have no inside information on these projects, but I would guess that one or more of the following may be true:

1. The resources aren't as "in demand" as some others, and are on the "slow track."
  2. The resources are more "labor intensive"
  3. The resources have thinner "profit margins"
  4. The resources are more prone to mistakes and must be checked and rechecked to meet quality standards

I can understand your frustration… I don't understand your response. One thing I would suggest to Logos… It might be better to hold off on announcing that resources are "under contract" if the project will take an extended amount of time. 

This is not the time of year to take issue with real "Roll Tide" Bama Boy.  (Good luck on another national title for the SEC.)  However, I must say none of those guesses seems to apply or make sense to explain the length of delay on publishing these Word Biblical Commentary volumes.  They are certainly in demand.  While these commentaries may be more labor intensive, they are NOT two years more labor intensive than others that have gone into production much faster.  I seriously question that these have a thinner profit margin.  And it would be programmers and code writers that might be prone to mistakes not the commentaries themselves. 

Come on, we are talking almost two years.

I think a more reasonable guess is publisher issues of some kind.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 4:36 AM

Bob Pritchett:
We have decided to invest more time in our pre-pub system to allow it to show more fine-grained status messages.

Thank you, Bob. Good move.

Posts 29473
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 4:49 AM

Michael Childs:

The answer was given shortly after my incorrect guess... The books haven't been written yet!

Clifford Kvidahl:

From what I know, Steve Walton has been working on these two volumes for of Acts quite some time now. They are both not available currently. There is a tentative date for Acts 1-14 as later this year. .

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2883
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 8:21 AM

alabama24:

Michael Childs:

The answer was given shortly after my incorrect guess... The books haven't been written yet!

Clifford Kvidahl:

From what I know, Steve Walton has been working on these two volumes for of Acts quite some time now. They are both not available currently. There is a tentative date for Acts 1-14 as later this year. .

Well, that would certainly explain it, wouldn't it?  Thanks, I had missed that info. Logos would have been wise to have let people know that a year or so before.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 10:17 AM

Monroe R Miller:
I have cancelled my orders. I will have to limp through the last two years of my active, parish ministry with just the resources I already have. Even Logos should be concerned when something has been under contract for two years and find out why.

Since you are saving quite a bit of money maybe you could support a fund to help pastors overseas obtain books. There is surely some group in your denomination that has such a project. There are many pastors across the world who have no or very few books. It would be a superb way to finish out your final two years of ministry.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 10:35 AM

I'm limping along, after the Logos CEO refused to support the good guys at Libronix Inc (and yes, the best software development team ever assembled). Forced to switch to Kindle Inc, my cc is outrageously lightened of its monthly Libronix entries. 

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2976
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:38 PM

Jack Caviness:

Bob Pritchett:
We have decided to invest more time in our pre-pub system to allow it to show more fine-grained status messages.

Yes

And Denise you're one of my favorite posters!

Peace

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 11:15 PM

Bob Pritchett:

We have decided to invest more time in our pre-pub system to allow it to show more fine-grained status messages. This will be part of a scheduled update to our product pages; it's still a few months out before being complete, but when it is you'll see some new statuses beyond "Under Contract" that provide more detail if we are waiting for the publisher.

YesYesBig Smile

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 3:13 AM

Jack Caviness:

Bob Pritchett:

Yes, thank you Bob for the move. I appreciate your attitude even more than your solution Yes. That is what makes Logos for me a great company I like and want to invest with. God bless you. Keep up the good work.

Bohuslav

Posts 9579
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 6:12 AM

Wayne:

Monroe R Miller:
I have cancelled my orders. I will have to limp through the last two years of my active, parish ministry with just the resources I already have. Even Logos should be concerned when something has been under contract for two years and find out why.

Since you are saving quite a bit of money maybe you could support a fund to help pastors overseas obtain books. There is surely some group in your denomination that has such a project. There are many pastors across the world who have no or very few books. It would be a superb way to finish out your final two years of ministry.

To me one of the exciting things about moving to a digital library like Logos is that I was able to give away almost 2,000 paper books. Some went to my children, some went to our church, some went to a local leadership school but a large amount is currently sitting in my garage waiting to be shipped to Bible schools and pastors around the world who are in the situation you just described - having no, or very few books. Thanks for reminding us all of this Wayne.

I have been greatly blessed by Logos and, in turn, I can bless others.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2976
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 12:37 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I have been greatly blessed by Logos and, in turn, I can bless others.

Very thoughtful and inspiring post Bruce.

Thank you

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.4

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 6:34 PM

From a micro perspective, that's one aspect of how this world should work. I also have given away more books than I can count. It can be a great blessing. For some people, books can be such a treasure. Smile

Posts 579
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2013 10:50 AM

Zondervan has announced that it is taking over production of the Word Biblical Commentary series, hopefully this will move things along.

Page 3 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS