useful vids on wiki for exegetical IBS

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 65
Arthur Balis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 9 2013 12:42 PM

I need to use L4 the do detailed IBS work on Ephesians.  I can't seem to come up with the right search parameters.....to get to basic how to videos leveraging UBS 4 and BDAG.

For the record, no I am not interested in L5.  Kindly save the pithy comments.

Thanks,

Art

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 9:05 PM

Please elaborate about desired search.

Logos 4 Mac can also open these resources and Exegetical Guide has Word by Word section.

Apologies: screen shot is from Logos 5.1a that is running in full screen mode on OS X 10.8.4

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 65
Arthur Balis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 4:47 AM

I need a graphic showing the 15 most used words in Ephesians.

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 5:14 AM

KS4J's old post on how to do this using Morph Search (Analysis View) should help:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/47989/356088.aspx#356088

Posts 65
Arthur Balis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 5:30 AM

This is what I am after. The bigger words show up more frequently. I appreciate any help.

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 5:40 AM

Oh, I see now what you're talking about! Sorry for being so dense.

That's found under the "Interesting Words" section of the Passage Guide:

Unfortunately, there is no way to control how many words show up in the diagram, so you can't make one that has only the top 15 words in it. It will be more the longer your passage is. I'm not sure how it determines where the cutoff is for what words to include. Maybe it includes all words that appear a minimum of X times, but I don't know what "X" value it is.

Posts 65
Arthur Balis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 5:57 AM

Thank you, that will work! Smile

Now that I have actually run the morph search, how do I get it to sort by number of occurrences?

That should be pretty easy since all the heavy lifting is done.

Art

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 11 2013 6:26 AM

Drag the column header Lemma (Greek) up to the area where it says "Drag a column here to group by that column"

Then right-click on the triangle next to the first lemma in the list (which will have hundreds of entries under it) and choose "Collapse all" from the popup menu to collapse all the entries at once:

Result:

Obviously word frequency does not necessarily correspond to word importance as seen by the top few items in the list. So you could leave out articles, particles, conjunctions, and pronouns to limit the list to more significant parts of speech:

I'm not sure why καί is included there. I always thought "and" was a conjunction; it is in English at least. But in Greek it appears to be an adverb, unless this is an error. (I don't know Greek.)

Hope that helps!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2013 6:53 AM

Peace, Rosie!        *smile*               Earlier this morning I sent off a post praising God and Graham for such a great and helpful post to an enquirer ...    he also used a whole bunch of screen shots  ..........      now, that just hard work!          Am Glad I did!     He worked hard and deserved a good "pat on the back"............

Even so, Rosie, I think you deserve a "blessing" and a pat on the back for your great answer to an enquirer in this thread ...

Sometimes, also, I notice that enquirers fail to notice that the "helpers" are mostly volunteer ......

Well...     "It is what IT IS, eh???"         *smile*

May our Gracious God always be Glorified!    !!!!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 65
Arthur Balis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2013 9:38 AM

@ Milford, if that is true, then I thank you for pointing it out.  

And thanks to Rosie for helping with my assignment.

I will say that when I see a forum member with thousands of posts,.. I just assume they work for Logos.  I admit that may not always be the case. 

But since you're here, I'll ask nicely, do you know of any wiki videos on morph searches?, because I can't find any.

You take care,

Art

Posts 29802
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2013 11:10 AM

Arthur Balis:
I will say that when I see a forum member with thousands of posts,.. I just assume they work for Logos.  I admit that may not always be the case.

In most cases, it isn't the case. No one in this thread works for Logos. Logos employees are designated by a blue, Logos icon under their avatar (photo).

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2013 12:51 PM

Blessings, Arthur!                 Rosie used to be an MVP also.   However, she worked so hard that she became an MVP Emeritus (Emerita, I guess!); however, she still has an irresistible urge to help others.

Really a sharp Christian Woman, eh???    She's an American who lives in Vancouver ...   I'm a Canadian ...

Arthur, have you seen the listing of videos in the wiki???    http://wiki.logos.com/

Also, under logos.com            the support and training section

Also, under YouTube.com          under Logos Bible Software ..

These sites contain a plethora of training and videos...

The Mark Barnes videos (from another MVP who lives in Wales!) are quite excellent...

Right now I don't have one for you specifically on morph searches,

so -- please --anyone reading this post ...       would you "chip in" for Arthur!       *smile*

either with a morph search video or something else helpful.....

Edit:

I think "Keep Smiling" -- with a large number of posts who posted earlier in this thread -- lives in Colorado ...    am not sure, though ...

I have a sister in Colorado -   and the water has been harmful to her family ....

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 65
Arthur Balis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2013 1:21 PM

Using the search box came up empty which is why I posted, but i will look in the spots you mention.  

If I poke around a bit there,in the listings,  I should find what I need.

Thanks again,

Art

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2013 1:57 PM

Psalm 29:11            *smile*            Blessings, Arthur!                   I grant you that Logos 5 has quite a learning curve; however, I maintain that it's well worth it .........        to have that power to study the Power of God's Word ---------            to me it's worth the effort  ...           also, once learned, it need not be done again ...

This post is to point you to morph searches on the Logos Wiki .......    I'm quite sure you've been there already ...       but ...    just in case ...

(and then I'll stop bugging you!   *smile*   )

http://wiki.logos.com/Morphological_Search

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2013 2:00 PM

alabama24:

Arthur Balis:

In most cases, it isn't the case. No one in this thread works for Logos. Logos employees are designated by a blue, Logos icon under their avatar (photo).

The Logos employees usually don't have post counts as high as some of the rest of us. They have real work to do. Some of us have spent plenty of time goofing off on the forums and artificially raised our post counts. That sometimes (usually) correlates with people who also spend a lot of time helping others with their questions.

Milford Charles Murray:

Blessings, Arthur!                 Rosie used to be an MVP also.   However, she worked so hard that she became an MVP Emeritus (Emerita, I guess!); however, she still has an irresistible urge to help others.

Really a sharp Christian Woman, eh???    She's an American who lives in Vancouver ...   I'm a Canadian ...

Oh, thank you Milford. I'm blushing!  (I moved up to Vancouver to study theology at Regent College 17 years ago, got my master's in 2004, and have never left. I love Vancouver, and love being in the orbit of Regent -- the bookstore is outstanding, there are great free public evening lectures, ministries in the area started by Regent alums which I like to support, and smart, thoughtful Christians around here who have taken classes at Regent. My church, which has no paid pastor but gets guest speakers in for about half our sermons, has a steady stream of great people to preach for us due to Regent being nearby. And so I've become so attached to life in Vancouver that I decided to stay and become a permanent resident of Canada.)

Where Logos employees have the blue Logos icon, active MVPs are designated with an orange star icon under their avatars. I did indeed serve as an MVP for a couple of years, but I found myself so addicted to spending time on the forums that I had to pull away, for my own health and sanity. But I do still check in almost daily, and still answer a question or two here and there.

Posts 65
Arthur Balis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 20 2013 5:30 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

I grant you that Logos 5 has quite a learning curve; 

I just don't see L5 as an upgrade, on that we will likely disagree. 

Thanks for all your help.

Art

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 20 2013 6:49 AM

Blessings, Arthur!                     Enjoy Logos 5                           For sure, enjoy and be satisfied in God's Wonderful Holy Word!

I agree that L5 is NOT an upgrade ............      To me it is a "fruition"                 .... was it Hannibal who said that he loves it when a plan comes together *smile*

... finally -- my sign off -- if indeed you have been helped by others, please "pass it on"          :-)

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS