Senior Discount

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 12 2013 7:10 AM

Senior Discount

Many of the long time loyal Logos supporters are getting up in age and as they have now retired from the active work force they may no longer have the free funds to continue as freely purchasing Logos Resources.

There is an Academic program that helps students purchase Logos products at a time when they have little free funds. As I understand that program the items purchased cannot be transferred.

Why not start a Senior Discount for long time supporters. Same discount as the Academic program. Set it up so that anyone participating locks their entire library as not transferable until death and that the heirs cannot do transfers for five years. Make the discount available for Pre Pub items but perhaps not for CP until they pass into the Pre Pub category [They could buy CP items but at the CP price]. Perhaps require that they have spent a minimum amount on Logos products of say the price of Portfolio [currently $4979.95] but do not require them to have Portfolio [it does not fit the needs / wants of many].

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 7:20 AM

David ... I was kind of on board thru paragraph 1, though my observation is that the older you get, the more you just read the Bible.

Since we're discussing how Logos can give us money, I prefer just the opposite ... suspend the transfer fee for gifts to younger readers. But that'd be a Logos decision I suppose.

EDIT: Since this is on Logos' dime:

Free transfer if: 

- source is 62 or older (ok ... 39 if George) and

- recipient is enrolled in Logos academic program (to include limits on subsequent transfers)

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 8:42 AM

I would think that the people who most need Logos resources are people in active ministry, and that people who would need it least would be those who have retired. Shouldn't we discount it for the people who need it the most?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:01 AM

elnwood:
I would think that the people who most need Logos resources are people in active ministry, and that people who would need it least would be those who have retired.

Hopefully those in active ministry should be willing and able to purchase the tools they ply their trade with.  Hopefully the congregations they serve will compensate them enough to get those tools. Attaining "Senior" status does not always mean one quits using Logos but it frequently means a cut in disposable income.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:12 AM

Super Tramp:

elnwood:
I would think that the people who most need Logos resources are people in active ministry, and that people who would need it least would be those who have retired.

Hopefully those in active ministry should be willing and able to purchase the tools they ply their trade with.  Hopefully the congregations they serve will compensate them enough to get those tools. Attaining "Senior" status does not always mean one quits using Logos but it frequently means a cut in disposable income.

Correct !  Now that I am approaching 39 I am more able than previously to purchase resources.  Mechanics purchase their own tools, do they not?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 8:15 PM

Denise:

David ... I was kind of on board thru paragraph 1, though my observation is that the older you get, the more you just read the Bible.

Thanks to Denise and the others that have replied.  The more input we get the better our collective ideas will be.

I am using Logos more now that I have "time" then I did before but I don't do weekly sermons. [I just research searches requiring me to wade though 1000 resources - fun - they take months]

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:57 PM

David Ames:
I am using Logos more now that I have "time" then I did before but I don't do weekly sermons. [I just research searches requiring me to wade though 1000 resources - fun - they take months]

Sounds like you need to create more collections, and search the relevant ones. Smile

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2013 6:28 AM

Lynden Williams:

Sounds like you need to create more collections, and search the relevant ones. Smile

I am 'assured' that the church I am in is the correct one for me to be in. And I have collections for use when I want a quick answer using the teachings of that church. For example when I need something for a church lesson.

But what about when I want to know what EVERYONE says on a subject?

What I really like is when I find where someone not only says what the 'truth' is but gives a good Bible study on that 'truth'.  Then I take several of these explanations of the 'truth' - none that point to the same 'truth'  and compare them one to another. Sometimes I can follow all of the paths to 'truth' and see where they diverge. Sometimes I can see where one or more of the paths are in 'error'. [Most of the time all the paths make sense] Most of the time all I find is a statement that this is the 'truth' with no explanation of why or how to reason it out. 

So I end up with the 'shipping container' Logos package on my wish list.  And that is why I have supported many different viewpoints on this forum.[Orthodox, KJV only, Catholic / Verbum, SDA, even the Mormon collection that some were worried about that is going nowhere, JW, and others - Lets allow them all to have a voice here where we have the tools to examine them side by side [But only when they give us the Bible studies to 'prove' their 'truth'] ]     [Until you 'know' and can explain the 'truth' from the others point of view you do not know the others 'truth'.  IMHO then and only then can you attempt to show the other the way to the true 'truth'.  Until then all we are doing is saying I have the 'truth' and the others say oh no you don't - and we get no where]

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2013 11:08 AM

Super Tramp:
elnwood:

Unfortunately, "hopefully" does not equal "reality." I'd much rather that those in active ministry have a discount so that congregations that compensate them can be better served. For those in ministry, good Bible software is a need. For those not in active ministry, retired or otherwise, good Bible software is more of a want than a need.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2013 11:17 AM

Since I'm now a "Senior", aka OAP, who is still in full-time ministry, I think I would qualify for either or both of those discounts. That would be a real two-point conversion for me!

Big Smile

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 1951
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2013 11:30 AM

Denise:
62 or older

What if I just feel old?

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2013 11:36 AM

Denise:
62 or older

Robert M. Warren:

What if I just feel old?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxhwM06lLUs

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3845
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2013 12:05 PM

I like the idea - should also include those are disabled (i.e. on Medicare or SSD).  Income for this group is limited as it is for seniors - maybe more so as they have not had as much time to build a retirement account.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 13 2013 8:52 PM

George Somsel:

Denise:
62 or older

Robert M. Warren:

What if I just feel old?

George Somsel:

Denise:
62 or older

Robert M. Warren:

What if I just feel old?

Peace, George!         Pleasant video!        thanks!              *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 1:25 AM

David Ames:

There is an Academic program that helps students purchase Logos products at a time when they have little free funds. As I understand that program the items purchased cannot be transferred.

Why not start a Senior Discount for long time supporters. Same discount as the Academic program.

I believe Logos has a strong motive to give a discount to students, but not seniors. I see it as a marketing strategy. If you get these students hooked on Logos in seminary, they will most likely use Logos throughout their entire ministry careers after seminary. This means the sell of many, many books at non-discounted prices - probably more then the student bought in college. So while Logos isn't making much of a profit now from these students, they most likely will see tons of profit later from them.

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 5:06 AM

Josh:

David Ames:

Why not start a Senior Discount for long time supporters. Same discount as the Academic program.

I believe Logos has a strong motive to give a discount to students, but not seniors. I see it as a marketing strategy. If you get these students hooked on Logos in seminary, they will most likely use Logos throughout their entire ministry careers after seminary. This means the sell of many, many books at non-discounted prices - probably more then the student bought in college. So while Logos isn't making much of a profit now from these students, they most likely will see tons of profit later from them.

You maybe correct.  And assuming that the Seniors would transfer a 'very complete' library they might not want to fill it with 'cheep' discounted resources. But on the other hand - what a deal if a new seminary student could get a 'very complete' library half the normal student discount?  [[so now we need seminary sets to fill out our libraries so the students will want them?]] 

Posts 3845
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 1:03 PM

Josh:

Sounds like a drug dealer trying to get a new user hooked.  Probably because it is like ...

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 1:31 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Sounds like a drug dealer trying to get a new user hooked.  Probably because it is like ...

So instead of a discount should we get counseling?     Angry

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 2:53 PM

David Ames:

Floyd Johnson:

Some of us probably should.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 5:15 PM

David Ames:

Floyd Johnson:

Nah. Whenever you start to feel the withdrawal symptoms creeping up, just settle them back down with another Logos fix. Repeat as needed. All the cool kids are doing it.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS