CRASH: 5.1a: Out of memory exception after doing lots of tagging

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 14 2013 1:22 AM

[Sorry for the delay in posting this bug report, but my Internet access was out for a whole week when this happened. However I saved the log.]

Logos crashed after I had spent a long time running Logos, doing lots of tagging. I had just added a couple more tags to a single book.

2867.LogosCrash L5.1a 20130908.zip

Posts 27222
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 3:51 AM

Poor thing has been frantically rebuilding the library catalog index with just about every change and finally gave up the ghostBig Smile

Is Logos now working OK?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 5:22 AM

Rosie Perera:
Logos crashed after I had spent a long time running Logos, doing lots of tagging.

Doesn't surprise me. I have to restart Logos every 15 minutes or so if I tag (which is why I usually try to do it just before I'm closing it down anyway).

Does tagging really have to use such an obscene amount of RAM? And, more importantly, does it have to hold on to it until quitting?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 1:17 PM

Dave Hooton:
Is Logos now working OK?

Yeah, it's working fine now, because I've gotten through the bulk of my tagging backlog and have been busy with other things anyway.

But it shouldn't have to crash on someone who's merely doing a lot of tagging. Well, yes, I did have a bunch of other apps running at the same time, as I normally do. But unless there's some memory leak, doing lots of tagging shouldn't cause Logos to run out of memory. And anyway, even if it seriously does run out of memory I would appreciate it alerting me to that fact before the situation becomes fatal, and gracefully exit -- saving my layout on its way out. Maybe reserve an emergency chunk of memory at startup for the potential "out-of-memory-must-exit" scenario.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 11:56 PM

Between this and another issue earlier this year, it is hard work and hazardous. Yet it is so essential for leveraging a large library around your needs.  I know there are plans in the works to improve tagging, so I hope this comes sooner than later.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2013 12:01 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
I know there are plans in the works to improve tagging, so I hope this comes sooner than later.

I sure hope so. I don't recall seeing anything about that in the forums, and this highly-sought-after suggestion on UserVoice has had not a peep from Logos about whether they will consider it: Provide management of mytags. If you recall where you saw something to indicate that plans are in the works to improve tagging, I'd appreciate a link to it. Sometimes I get discouraged. I have a lot of time invested into tagging my library, but with such a large library and so many tags, it has inevitably developed inconsistencies which I'd like to fix up (merging tags that should have both been named the same thing, etc.). I can't do it without wrecking a lot of the work I've already done, or spending gobs more unnecessary time which could be avoided if I had a real tag management tool.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2013 2:38 AM

There was a comment a month or so ago that a design specification or something of the sort had been written up, but no timescale.

I too find it amazing that there has not been even the slightest word on this in Uservoice. I would not have thought it was a trade secret or something, so I am not sure what is going on.

Meanwhile, I cannot even get Logos to start up this morning. So I have problems bigger than tags right now. It seems that Logos is having it's yearly tantrum. Sad

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2013 2:51 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
. It seems that Logos is having it's yearly tantrum. Sad

Yearly? I thought it had them about once every 3 or 4 months.

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 15 2013 10:06 AM

Rosie Perera:
Yearly? I thought it had them about once every 3 or 4 months.

Well, yes... I guess it usually really has a big hissy fit about once a year. I did eventually get it to start up. Don't know why. Did a complete reboot and that did not help it. Was about to try loading without a layout and it all of a sudden decided to come out and play.

I have to say that Logos is the only piece of software that reserves this right on occasion. It's a lot better than it used to be, but sometimes it can be real antisocial for no apparent reason. Must be the weather.

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 9 2013 2:16 PM

We have an active case for this issue, and I have linked it to this thread. 

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS