Prophets and Prophecy in the Ancient Near East

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:50 AM

For anyone that likes ANET, COS, Baal Cycle, Ugarit, Canaanite Inscriptions, Amarna, etc.  this resource is a 'sleeper':

https://www.logos.com/product/7338/prophets-and-prophecy-in-the-ancient-near-east 

It's actually two resources, original texts and translations. Although the author has collected those associated with 'prophets', there's quite a bit of overlap with other issues as well. 

I put 'prophets' in quotes because the concept of a prophet is far more variable outside Christian tradition (even jewish usage in 2nd Temple / DSS is quite variable).

Anyway, it's quite afffordable, includes the associated sources, and very readable even on an iPod.  Plus includes a Libronix version too!

Recommended.

(I'm sure David Paul will be along shortly.)

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 8:19 AM

It's a good price—the same as Books-A-Million.  You can view that TOC here:

http://books.google.com/books/p/8252592953561564?id=wOZOYl-T1poC&printsec=frontcover&dq=seow&ei=rThMUvnVBYiIlgTz74DACw&cd=5#v=onepage&q=seow&f=false

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1666
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 8:26 AM

I have read this and can recommend it

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 1:15 AM

Peace and Joy, Denise!                              Thanks so much for "bumping" this book!                        I have it; however, although I'm quite interested in the subject, I have never read the book.

So ...    thanks, indeed!               Just moved it up exponentially to a much higher priority of things I'd love to pursue when able ...   *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS