Logos 6 Best Feature: NO INDEXING !!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 14 (263 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 262 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1962
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 2 2013 4:51 PM

you heard it here first.

this constant indexing really cripple my computer and my life regardless whether I change the schedule of updates in setting or not.

Really, this past month the indexing is just waaaaaaaaaay too much.. I really couldn't use the computer & I always play the waiting game whenever I want to use Logos.

I love updates & I WANT THEM RIGHT AWAY (I'm sure everyone is on the same boat with me) .. but the indexing is just killing me.

What if I buy 1-2 books everyday & want to read those right away.. I HAVE to index all the time???

I'm sure those smart programmers guys at Logos will know how to fix this (I'm praying for a miracle)

PLEASE, fix this in Logos 6 .. STAT !

thank you Zip it!

Posts 8005
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 5:03 PM

mike:

What if I buy 1-2 books everyday & want to read those right away.. I HAVE to index all the time???

Indexing has nothing to do with reading a book.  Now, if you want to perform a search, then I'd say it can be a little annoying, but I purchased books before and I'm able to read them right away while they are indexing (since it's just reading).

DAL

Posts 9060
LogosEmployee

mike:

I'm sure those smart programmers guys at Logos will know how to fix this (I'm praying for a miracle)

One possibility is to move the index from your computer to our servers (similar to what is done for the mobile apps right now). Would it be an acceptable solution to require an Internet connection for searching to work?

Posts 1962
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:16 PM

well, maybe some people like you like to "just read" 1 book or so, but I couldn't ..

When I open Logos i do more than just to read 1 book .. I always perform a search or looking something up. How could someone not??

C'mon really .. if there's 1 feature I hate these past months it would probably INDEXING.

Nothing personal to you tho Dal... Cool

Posts 8005
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:22 PM

mike:

When I open Logos i do more than just to read 1 book .. I always perform a search or looking something up. How could someone not??

Nothing personal to you tho Dal... Cool

Well in your first post you mentioned "Reading a book right away" nothing about searches, but I also included in my reply that reading only is ok, but that it is indeed annoying when you want to do a search.

Don't worry, I've learned to not take things personal in the forums - helps avoid unnecessary arguments ;-)

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:23 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
Would it be an acceptable solution to require an Internet connection for searching to work?

Absolutely NOT

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 6710
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:23 PM

One possibility is to move the index from your computer to our servers (similar to what is done for the mobile apps right now). Would it be an acceptable solution to require an Internet connection for searching to work?

Bradley, you can move the index to the clouds, just allow the user an option. How about a copy is stored in the clouds, and one on the machine (for those of us who do not always have internet on the road), then we can sync the changes.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1248
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:24 PM

No, not everyone has internet access all the time (or, good internet access all the time) and that's not likely to change in the next few years at least.

Indexing can be a bit wearying but a) search is much better than it was on Libronix (hit search, go do something else for 10 minutes) and b) there's always the option to pause it.

Posts 8005
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:27 PM

How would you do that in a desktop? I sure would like for my desktop to index as fast as my iPad.  When new books are added or even when I downloaded the Logos app for the first time, indexing was/is lighting fast.  I'd say it doesn't even take a minute to index and perform searches on my iPad.

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:27 PM

Another option:

would be to have pre-configured indexes for each book and on the server side stitch together custom indexes for each user. Then allow the user to download the stitched together index. Let Logos absorb the time consuming process. It would just cost the user some time before they are notified when the stitched together index is ready for download.

Posts 9556
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:31 PM

Would it be an acceptable solution to require an Internet connection for searching to work?

Personally I don't like this as a solution in light of the times that I don't have access to the internet.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1962
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:36 PM

mike:

That'd be GREAT!

so we could actually work functional 100% all the time we want & utilize the newest books purchased right instantaneously .

The best part the requirement system for Logos doesn't have to be mid or high, low spec could also run Logos because indexing is run outside (not simultaneously with power-to-search)

Is this something coming soon?

Posts 1500
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:44 PM

It might be good to have an option to do index locally, or just disable it so it would do through the server. If a computer (like desktop) always uses internet, then why not to use it from the server

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 2304
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:47 PM

steve clark:

Absolutely NOT

I agree with Steve! There are times when I take my Surface into church services where Wi-Fi is unavailable.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1518
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:48 PM

The issue isn't on Logos end. It's on our end. We need faster computers. Within the next ten years computers will be so fast that indexing will be almost instantaneous. Ten years ago most people had only 128mb of RAM, now most people have a least 4-8gb of RAM!

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:56 PM

Josh:
The issue isn't on Logos end. It's on our end.

i politely disagree.

Virtually every Logos user owns KJV, BKC, and many other common books. Each time a user needs to re-index, this task is duplicated on each user's computer. Such a waste of time. If the books were pre-indexed, then they would not need all this distributed time duplicated.

Posts 1500
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 7:56 PM

David Thomas:

steve clark:

Absolutely NOT

I agree with Steve! There are times when I take my Surface into church services where Wi-Fi is unavailable.

If we would have ability to use icloud indexing, or local indexing then this would not be an issue. You would use it locally, but I would use on one of my computers through iCloud and would not have to download all books. That would save my time and SSD space.

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 9:14 PM

It seems to me that one of the things users were begging for way back when they were knocking corners off the rocks to fashion wheels was that there be an index to speed up searches.  Now it appears that some want NO index—go figure.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 9:35 PM

George Somsel:
Now it appears that some want NO index—go figure.

i think my suggestion was to let Logos build the index once, and we download it. Since we search specific books, each book could have it's own index. With solid-state drives improving and looking to take their place in our future, then accessing individual indexes per searched book would be fast. Plus the indexing crashing problem would go away since Logos builds and tests them for each book, all we have to do is download an index along with each book we get. As it is now, i have had to do a complete re-index in excess of 36 times since '09, which means i have rebuilt the KJV, BKC etc. indexes 36 times and repeatedly wait for repeating such process (you get the idea).

Page 1 of 14 (263 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS