Organizing Favorites

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 5 2013 3:09 PM

Shortly after I started purchasing Logos products I set up a large number of favorites in various folders.  However, I haven't kept them up for some time now and have purchased a large number of books since then.  So I am thinking that maybe I should delete all of my favorites and start all over again. I searched through the forums but couldn't find a way to clear all of my favorites.  Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this?  Your suggestions regarding how you use favorites and bookmarks would be much appreciated. 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:12 PM

Peace, Michael!            *smile*                            You can "lump" them into one file folder and then clean and organise that in the next days and weeks and months as you have time ...........       Enjoy, eh???

Edit:               You can also rename one file, naming it "delete"           -- then as you have more files to delete, drag them into that file, then -- at the "right" time, delete them all!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:18 PM

You can't delete multiple Favorite folders at once, but if you do delete a folder, it will delete all the favorites in that folder.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:28 PM

I think I just did, Mark!             I'll try again and come back here and confess if I were wrong ....

Edit:           I think I can do that!       *smile*

will try once more ..!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:35 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
I think I can do that! 

Can do what?

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:35 PM

Thank-you for your help.  I have moved all of the favorites that were not in a folder into a folder and called it undesignated.  Then I deleted that folder.  Now I have to decide how to work with the other folders.  I think I might nest them all into one folder for now.  Having learned how to use the library more effectively, some of the folders I have no longer make sense to me.

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:37 PM

Mark I think he means that he deleted multiple folders.  If they are nested can you delete them all by deleted the top folder?

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:40 PM

Michael Kinch:
If they are nested can you delete them all by deleted the top folder?

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. Sorry if it wasn't clear. I was trying to say that if you folders/favorites weren't already inside a folder you couldn't delete them all at once.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:43 PM

Peace!        Yes!    That's what I did!             Put folders into folders and then deleted them all!          Glad I don't seem to be losing my mind, eh???

*smile*

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:56 PM

Thanks again for your help.  I now have them all into one folder "Old Folders" so it looks a lot cleaner.  I can now build the folders that I want and then delete the "Old Folders" later when I am done.  It will take a while no doubt. 

Posts 5503
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 5:37 PM

I have all 7000+ resources in my Library in sub-folders under these main folders.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 6:27 PM

Thanks David, wow that is a lot of work.  It would take some time to work through them.  The problem that I see with favorites is that you have to keep them updated every time you purchase new books, which can be several times a week.  It would be very helpful to have that kind of organization in your library.  Sometimes I don't feel like solid study, I just want a good read my favorites us usually where I go.  It is also helpful if a book or series comes on sale or is in prepub I will go to my favorites to see what I have that is similar.

Posts 9799
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 6:34 PM

I don't use favorites to organize my library but rather tag every book and use collections. This works very well for me but it intrigues me to organize this way. What do you think are the advantages as opposed to tagging and collections?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 7:52 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I don't use favorites to organize my library but rather tag every book and use collections. This works very well for me but it intrigues me to organize this way. What do you think are the advantages as opposed to tagging and collections?

Bruce, I have a lot to learn about Logos in many areas.  The value that I see in favorites is that you can quickly scan your favorites and see what resources you have in specific areas.  I am not so sure that I would want to put all of my resources in favorites, it would be a lot of work but in the end it would probably be worth it.  I don't think I would create favorites for every author but I might for a few that I refer to most often.  It is just a lot easier to open my library and search on the author author:michael horton for example.  One advantage is that if you have put all your books in favorites you can see what areas your library is lacking in and where it is strong.  You can organize your favorites alphabetically or you can list your favorite resources at the top of the list and the others below them in each folder.  You could also create a folder for books you want to or have read or studied.  Maybe call it My Reading List.  When you have completed it you could rename it.  If the title was Transforming Prayer and you read it in September 2013 you could rename it 2013-09 Transforming Prayer.  You would then have a list of the books you had studied and when you completed them.  I think there is a lot that we can do with favorites and most people don't use them much.  True there is a lot of power in tagging and collections but there is a lot of value in favorites as well.  I guess it comes down to how much time we want to put into managing our libraries.

Posts 5503
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 8:21 PM

I haven't made any collections. I feel much happier with my nested folders. I want to know what I have and where it is. Even if I forget what I have, if I am looking for a certain kind of information, I can go to that sub-folder and see what I've got there. When I do searches, I search my whole library. I figure I've got enough sense to skip what I don't want, but can't include what my search delimiters excluded. Do I get massive search returns? Sometimes...but so what? I don't see that as a problem...except for it being an embarrassment of riches. I got Logos precisely so I could find those unexpected nuggets in unexpected places that I never would have thought to look. It seems to me that most of what collections are about is reducing that possibility.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

Posts 1084
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:43 AM

Bruce Dunning:
What do you think are the advantages as opposed to tagging and collections?

I also use a combination of  tags and collections for my main library ... but use favourites for my iPad. For example, only using resource that I know to be on my Pad, I create a folder structure that makes it easier to find my resources. 

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 9799
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 4:54 AM

I still don't see the value of organizing your library by favorites as opposed to tagging. Actually I see it more restrictive. When I first organized my library I primarily did it by collections but it had obvious disadvantages because not every book fit well in a collection.

I researched what a lot of other Logos users were doing with tags and finally decided that it was worth it for me to tag everything. I carefully established a set of categories that I would use in order to have consistency.

I am very happy with the results. Since I have finished I tend to use collections less and tagging more. In particular I love to keep track of what I want to read, am currently reading or have read in the past and I can easily scan any topic to see what I have in a particular category.

One main advantage I see of tagging over favorites is that a resource can be identified with multiple tags. I'm not sure how you would handle that in favorites.

It's not perfect but here is a copy of my current tagging system. It is constantly a work in progress. 7774.My Tagging System for Logos.docx

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5503
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 5:51 AM

Bruce Dunning:

One main advantage I see of tagging over favorites is that a resource can be identified with multiple tags. I'm not sure how you would handle that in favorites.

You can put a book in as many folders as you want. I have many of my resources in 3 or more folders.

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 6:04 AM

Thanks Bruce, I greatly appreciate your info. You have put a lot of work into this. 

"One main advantage I see of tagging over favorites is that a resource can be identified with multiple tags. I'm not sure how you would handle that in favorites."  - Bruce you can create a favorite for a book in numerous folders.  You just can't have the same favorite twice in the same folder.  If for whatever reason you wanted to do that you would need to rename one of them.

" I tend to use collections less and tagging more. In particular I love to keep track of what I want to read, am currently reading or have read in the past and I can easily scan any topic to see what I have in a particular category." - You can do this with favorites as well. I think you can do it easier with favorites.  You don't have to remember what all your tags are, in favorites your folders are all listed for you in whatever order you choose to organize them.  I think though if I had tagged my entire library I probably wouldn't go through the process of organizing favorites as well.

Overall, I see value in favorites, tagging, collections and layouts in working with my library.  I will definitely go through my library and tag my resources using your system though I will probably simplify it somewhat.  Ultimately, I would like to have my entire library organized into these 4 areas (tags, collections, favorites and layouts).  I have sometimes conducted a search for something and the results I get back include books that are unrelated and missed books that I thought should have been listed.  Organizing my library would definitely give me better results.

My question for each of the areas of my library is - will this be most useful in favorites or tags.  If I want to use it in a collection then tags are the answer.  For things like books to read I think favorites for me is most useful.  In many cases though I think a combination of favorites and tags would be the most beneficial option.  I can quickly scan down the list of favorite folders and open which ever folders I choose.  Using tags I can search my library with more advanced search criteria.  I can specify my tags and any other of the seach criteria (author, title, publisher, etc.).  So I can easily find all books on prayer written by Dwight L. Moody for example.  Though I can probably do that using the tags that Logos provides without adding my own tags. 

What it comes down to is how do I use my library and how can I easiest find the resources that I typically look for.  I think for each of us the answer is different.  And that is the power of Logos.  We can organize our libraries and utilize our resources in multiple ways according to our individual study needs.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 6:44 AM

I'm glad "Favourites" is there, and we'll each be using it according to our own background and desires.               A couple of years ago, there were some fascinating threads about "floating windows"    OR "floating layout" -- very, very complicated affairs stored in favourites.

Finally it was a bit too much for me.   However, here's an interesting one, eh???

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/29255.aspx

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS