Get the Best Latin Dictionary for Historical and Theological Study

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 11832
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 18 2013 12:00 PM

- which is it? Of course the "Lewis and Short"

- how do I know? Everybody knows, even the Amazon reviewers and the Logos Blog

- won't I have to sell my preferred iGadget to buy this? (After all, somebody called Logos "the Mercedes of bible software lately!) No, it's on CP for only $24!!!

- You're kidding me, don't you? Used paper versions of this retail three-digit prices! Look for yourself, $24 - this is a steal

- Then it will take ages to go through 100%, won't it? That's in your own hand - but Mike Grigoni says, "you need to bid quickly—it won’t be on Community Pricing forever"

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 6:32 PM

Peace, Mick!         *smile*                         Of course I've bid!                       Also, want to thank you for your post!               A truly excellent example of droll humour, eh???!!!

Here's another classic example of droll humour (according to the web!)

Droll Humour

A young man was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from college.  While he was walking through the bush, he came across a young bull  elephant standing with one leg raised in the air.
      The elephant seemed distressed so the man approached it very  carefully. He got down on one knee and inspected the elephant's foot.  There was a large thorn deeply embedded in the bottom of the foot.
      As carefully and as gently as he could he worked the thorn out  with his hunting knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its  foot. The elephant turned to face the man and with a rather stern look  on its face, stared at him. For a good ten minutes the man stood frozen  -- thinking of nothing else but being trampled.
      Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned and walked away.
      The man never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.    Twenty years later the man was walking through the zoo with his teenaged  son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures  turned and walked over to where they were standing at the rail. The large  bull elephant stared at him and lifted it's front foot off the ground,  then put it down. The elephant did that several times, all the while  staring at the man.  The man couldn't help wondering if this was the  same elephant.
      After a while it trumpeted loudly; then it continued to stare at  him.
      The man summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made  his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and  stared back in wonder.
      Suddenly the elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around  one of the man's legs and swung him wildly back and forth along the  railing, killing him.
      Probably wasn't the same elephant.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 6:43 PM

NB.Mick:
"you need to bid quickly—it won’t be on Community Pricing forever"

Hmm, it feels like it already has been on CP forever.

Maybe everyone needs to up their bids by a couple of dollars. I'm in at $30, but looking at the slope of the curve, I bet if everyone went up to $26 or $28 it would go over the top soon, and that would still be a good price for this essential Latin reference work. And the price would probably come back down again and might even settle at $24 anyway, as the extra momentum tends to come at the end when people realize they might miss out. There are people who regularly scour the almost-closing CP's for interesting ones to bid on but don't always notice them when they're just gathering interest.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 6:54 PM

Peace, Rosie!                      Hate to tell you, but I think you're wrong .......

raising bids won't make a difference the way it's now set up ............         We need MORE bids, eh???

*smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9576
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 8:20 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace, Rosie!                      Hate to tell you, but I think you're wrong .......

raising bids won't make a difference the way it's now set up ............         We need MORE bids, eh???

*smile*

I agree. Perhaps we need to convince more people who don't know Latin well or at all to join in.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 19251
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 18 2013 9:00 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace, Milford. You're probably right. With the precipitous drop in the curve from $24 to $26, it's probably more likely that more bids at $24 would be easier to drum up than getting everyone who's in at $24 to up their bid to $26. But either one would accomplish the same goal.

You see, it looks like the cost of producing it is about 20% more than "number of bidders at 24" x $24. So if all those people raised their bid 20% to $28, then we'd be over the top at $28.

Of course the likelihood of getting ALL of those bidders to raise their bid 20% is probably lower than the likelihood of getting enough more bidders to push the peak at $24 over the time. But you never know. With some resources, everyone who is ever going to bid on it has already done so, and upping the bid is absolutely necessary, as is the case with The Catholic Encyclopedia, for example. It's already the #3 bestseller in CP. Lewis & Short is the 14th most popular title in CP right now, so it probably has some room to get more bids.

So, in short, you're probably more right than I am. Cheers! Smile

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 6:06 AM

Six of one -- half dozen of the other, eh?!

*smile*

Posts 2245
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 6:25 AM
I just placed a bid for it. I don't read Latin, but I might some day!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 6:32 AM

Thanks, Joseph!              *smile*                     Great!

Posts 11832
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 11:15 AM

Rosie Perera:

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace, Milford. You're probably right. With the precipitous drop in the curve from $24 to $26, it's probably more likely that more bids at $24 would be easier to drum up than getting everyone who's in at $24 to up their bid to $26.

Rosie, while I, too, think Milford is right, I see some bumps in the curve leading to the current $24 peak - folks in at $20 or $16 may perhaps reconsider their bid. This resource may become available at $20, but unless Logos reevaluates the cost, it looks like it will cross at $24 or not at all.

I personally am in at $38 (the current maximum bid) one reviewer - not me! - said it would still be "a steal" at $38. I agree, but we need to have some more bidders at $24.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 11:59 AM

Good Points -- Rosie AND Mick!

I just went back in and bid the Maximum - which for me is $39.00 Canadian!

I'd love to see this valuable work go through!                             *smile*

Posts 9481
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 5:25 PM

O.K. I bid $24, but I have to tell you I do have some unpleasant memories of my first year of Latin Study in High School. Perhaps all of that may be purged with the help of this fine dictionary.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9576
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 19 2013 5:36 PM

Mark Smith:
O.K. I bid $24, but I have to tell you I do have some unpleasant memories of my first year of Latin Study in High School.

Was it that bad? I wish I had the experience of learning Latin in High School.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 21 2013 6:50 AM

Sorry, the only Latin that I know is "Semper Fidelis". Embarrassed

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS