Will the new Dell Venue 8.1 Windows Tablets run Logos?

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 23
Michael Weber | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 25 2013 7:56 AM
Here's an interesting dock idea for it. Read the comments to see how to charge and use USB hub. Pluggable Dock For The Dell Venue 8 Pro - posted in Dell: Interesting demo; http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F876-pluggable-dock-for-the-dell-venue-8-pro%2F
Posts 2
Te-Li Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2013 1:01 PM

Is it possible to download only a select list of books/resources on your Dell Tablet (e.g. just the various Bible, lexicons) or any laptop without downloading your entire library? It hopefully consume less space and also allow the indexer to run faster?

Posts 31
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 5:44 AM

Thanks for your description of Logos and the Dell Venue 8.1.  Might you share a bit more regarding how one stores the Resource files on a microSDHC card?  Can that happen in the actual install process?  Or only post-install?  With the 32GB Dell and the limited available memory, and a resource folder larger than the limited available memory, I've wondered whether any install of Logos would short-circuited . . . i.e. I'd never get the resources to a point where I could transfer them to an SDHC card.

Also, can the index file be moved to an SDHC card? 

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 6:14 AM

Michael, your posts have been such a blessing here and so informative.  Thanks.

Why would anyone want the less robust Dell Venue 8 with even fewer GB please?

Posts 23
Michael Weber | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 6:31 AM

32GB is fine if you get a 64GB SD card as I indicated.

You will have to move the resource folders using mklink.  I can't recall the exact command but I think you'll find if it you search for it on the forums.  It creates a "symbolic" link - a pointer - to your SD.

General steps:

1. Shutdown logos.

2. Go to resource folder and copy specific folders to SD.

3.  Make symbolic links in resource folder to point to new location.

Also remember to increase your desktop resolution to 125% at a minimum.

The stylus is subpar.  See if you can get along without it.

I love my Dell Venue 8 usage with Logos.  But unlike with people, I'm longsuffering with technology.  (Work in progress!)

Posts 23
Michael Weber | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 6:33 AM

I moved my BibleIndex, LibraryIndex and ResourceManager to the SD. 

Works fine for me.

Posts 23
Michael Weber | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 6:36 AM

Make sure it's the microSDHC.  Or avoid headaches by getting the 64GB Dell Venue 8.  You'll pay $40+ for the SD anyways.

Posts 31
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 6:54 AM

This is perfect.  Thank you very much for your time.  One follow-up question . . . given that a successful initial install is critical to make possible a later move of files, I'm assuming you had enough space in the 32GB version to do that initial install?  [My resource folder is 13GB, and my total Logos folder in the Users locations is 21GB]  

I was envisioning a possible workaround there--http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers (Method 3)--where I could install only the system (absent resources) on the Dell, and then I'd copy resources from my laptop onto the SDHC card, and then I'd "scan <path to your resources> in the Command box, designating the SDHC card as the path.  If I'm understanding the "scan" function correctly, I'd be left with my system and index files on the Dell, and the resources on the SDHC card.  If needed, does that workaround make sense?

Again, thanks for your time. And for the reminder that the 64GB version would avoid some of these challenges :)  A $229 Microsoft deal today on the 32GB version was the conversation catalyst.

Blessings.

Posts 23
Michael Weber | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 8:46 AM

I'm not sure in your case.  I have about the same size.

I did not wait for the indexes to complete but I did let them start.  I then stopped Logos and got everything moved over.

Indexing will be much slower on the SD so if you have the space, you may want to let them finish.

Logos will run faster on the main drive then SD.  It's not much of a difference but you will notice it.

Posts 31
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 9:09 AM

Again, thank you for the time you took to respond.  Much appreciated!  God bless.

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 9:13 AM

Michael and others, anyone have a good link for the 64 GB version?

My wife would be thrilled if I spent under $400 for such an item?  What other cons are there?

Can it be hooked up to a larger monitor?  Charged at the same time its being used?  Do you need a magnifiying glass and a needle to use the menus?  Is it ok that my heart is pumping faster thinking this might be a good cheap possibility at long last?

I wonder what Lisa at www.mobiletechreview.com thinks.  Will have to check.

Blessings,

Joshua

Posts 31
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 9:49 AM

Microsoft is running a sale today.  The 64GB Dell is on sale for $299.  http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/list/Tablets/categoryID.67092800  I don't believe there is an easy way to connect it to a large monitor, unfortunately.  The Toshiba Encore does have an HDMI out.  The Lenovo ThinkPad 8, offered for sale as of today, is starting at $429, but it has a much better display than either the Dell or Toshiba and possesses impressive porting ability.  It has HDMI as well as USB 3.

The Dell can be charged while being used, but there is no way to use the mini-USB for anything else if you are charging it.

The Asus VivoTab Note 8 is not available yet, but that uses the reliable WACOM active digitizer, storing the pen in the case.  It has similar specs to the Dell, but with a superior digitizer (Dell has had lots of problems with their active digitizer; they are currently not selling it--is an add-on--but a Dell rep told me today that it will be available mid-February for $40 . . . the VivoTab's pen will be included in their base unit price).

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 9:52 AM

Thanks.  Steve. The Toshiba has a lot of cons and I've read its quite bulky.

I had looked forward to this one but its got a lot of problems too.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-Venue-11-Pro-Tablet/productID.289455100

Can a person really use Logos 5.0 with 2.0 GB/64 GB SSD?

Is this one any better?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Lenovo-Miix-2-8-Touchscreen-Tablet-64GB/productID.288728600

Hate to be stuck with an turkey I have to ebay.

Found this at besbuy site as advice after buying this one.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Miix-2-8-Freezing/td-p/1314125 Right click or long press on the start button and choose computer management, then on the left hand side of the mmc window choose device manager. tap on network adapters in this list and right click/long press the broadcom wireless SDIO adapter and go to properties. Under advanced go through the property list and set them as follows: Property =Value 20/40 coexistance = Auto 40 Mhz intolerant = Disabled 802.11n preamble = Auto Afterburner = Enabled Antenna Diversity =main Assoc listen Interval = 1 Bandwidth capability =11a/b/g 20/40mhz Bluetooth Collaboration = auto BSS PLCP Header = auto short.long BT Amp = enabled D2 listen interval = 5 Disable upon wired connect =disabled enable disable ltr = enabled fragmentation threshold =2346 IBSS 54gm protection mode =auto IBSS mode = 802.11 only locally administered mac address = not present LTR value in microseconds = 60 Minimum power consumption = disabled packet coalescing = enabled power output = 100% priority & vlan= disabled rate = best rate roam tendency =Agressive roaming decision = auto RTS threshold = 2347 Wake on pattern match = enabled wake on RSN rekey = enabled wake up mode = all WFD channel number = 11 WMM = auto WZC IBSS Channel Number = 11 (20mhz) Xpress technology = enabled  

Posts 3859
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 10:06 AM

JoshInRI:

I think Jesus will come back before we get a useable affordable Logos 5 machine that is more than a reader.

Here is a nicely configured Windows 8 machine - not a tablet, but a nice desktop for less than $500:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOGGTJ2/tag=fhj-20 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 10:14 AM

Floyd, I will have some trouble using that one in bed, Sir.

As for the Venue 11 pro I just found this among many negative early reviews.

Dell's Venue Pro 11 offers a Surface Pro 2 alternative at a lower price point, but disappoints with sub-par battery life

Posts 3859
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 10:29 AM

JoshInRI:
Floyd, I will have some trouble using that one in bed, Sir.

You did not ask for a bed sized one.  You asked for a "useable affordable Logos 5 machine" - this fits that bill.  I understand that most of this discussion focused on tablets - but your comment left me enough room to post a link to a "useable affordable Logos 5 machine."

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 1:00 PM

The problem with the Dell and the other Windows 8 tablets is that they don't have a Wacom active digitizer. On such a small screen you need an active digitizer to manipulate the Logos controls.

I am waiting for the Asus Vivo-Tab Note, which is an 8-inch tablet with Wacom digitizer and pen. Reportedly, the 64 GB verison will be $349 when it is released sometime at the end of the first quarter, 2014.

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 1:44 PM

Bill, Sir, I just just found this.  "Even at 100%, we found the display was too dim to effectively use outside, with reflections and glare getting in our way" and this too "However, the screen isn’t as sharp as we’d like and it’s also too dim to comfortably use out of doors, while we noticed the occasional stutter during everyday use."

Rats!

Posts 2915
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 3:39 PM

Bill Anderson:

The problem with the Dell and the other Windows 8 tablets is that they don't have a Wacom active digitizer. On such a small screen you need an active digitizer to manipulate the Logos controls.

I am waiting for the Asus Vivo-Tab Note, which is an 8-inch tablet with Wacom digitizer and pen. Reportedly, the 64 GB verison will be $349 when it is released sometime at the end of the first quarter, 2014.

Bill, I am not a tech expert.  But I can speak from my experience on the Surface Pro.  I don't what kind of pen the Surface Pro uses, but I know it works very well.  It is really great for taking notes.  That thing even reads my sloppy handwriting and converts it to text.  Okay, it reads more of my handwriting than I can, and sometimes needs a little editing.  

(I am speaking about in OneNote there.  Logos, of course, does not convert handwriting to text.  And I know it is the program, not the pen reading the text.  But the pen does its work almost flawlessly for me.). 

And it has no problem with the Logos controls.  That is my experience about 6 weeks out with extensive use.

Now personally, I do prefer my wireless mouse and fingers combined over the pen in Logos.  It is just easier to touch, and I am used to using the mouse for small controls, where my fingers are too big.  But I have used the pen a good bit, and it worked well.

I don't know tech, but I know what works.  I have never had a device better designed than the Surface Pro 2 for using Logos.  Inside of two days I was addicted.  When I have to use Logos on another computer, I catch myself reaching up and tapping or scrolling the screen with my fingers, and wondering why nothing is happening,  And I am forever changed in how I take notes.

Nor have I had any problems with screen brightness,  I would say it is beautiful and bright screen.  Of course, I haven't tried it at the beach.  But on porch and patio, there is no problem.

By the way, neither I nor my family work for Microsoft, though I bet some of you are beginning to wonder.  Lord, help me.  I sound just like the Mac fan boys!!!  I will try to shut up about this, unless I have something worthwhile to add to the discussion.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 23
Michael Weber | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 29 2014 3:58 PM

Surface Pro has the best pen experience.

I still like the Venue 11 as a cheaper alternative.  Also, the Venue 11 has a softer tip which provides resistance.  The Pro's stylus is hardened and slides across the glass - not in a good way.

Although - I used the Surface Pro for year and it was magnificent except for battery.  I think the Surface 2 fixed that however.

Believe it or not, I still like the Venue 8 - glitches and all - over both.  It's just small and easier to get out.  I agree, fat fingers need not apply :).

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS