Logos Icon appearing blank on Win 8 taskbar

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 391
Geo Philips | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 27 2013 3:40 AM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have an issue where if you pin Logos to the Win 8 taskbar (by right-clicking the icon when the program is running and then selecting Pin), the icon disappears and just shows a blank file icon? If i click on the blank file icon, it still opens up Logos but it is kinda annoying.

Posts 21919
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 5:53 AM

Hi Geo

This is a problem which some people see some of the time - I saw it for the first time after the most recent beta update.

See http://community.logos.com/forums/t/75585.aspx for a discussion regarding this, including a comment from Logos saying they are working on it.

Graham 

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 6:40 AM
Unpinning from the taskbar then repinning usually sorts it out.
Posts 80
Daniel R Bartholomew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 5:08 PM
It happened to me, too...I merely right-clicked on the icon, chose "Properties", "Change Icon..." and navigated to the folder with Logos and chose the Logos Icon. Still, it should have automatically been correct.
Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 5:34 PM

I presume that the Logos installer creates a new shortcut in the Start Menu with each update; if there is a shortcut there already, it is replaced.

A taskbar icon is simply a pointer to an entry in the Start Menu. After the update, that pointer refers to the old Start Menu entry, which has now been replaced by the new (albeit identical) entry.

This sometimes confuses Windows and result in loss of the icon. I've had it happen with other programs after updates.

I'm not an expert, but that's my hypothesis.

[Re-reading the OP, it's not the identical scenario, but I've usually lost the icon after an update. I always pin items to the taskbar from the Start Menu rather than when the program is already running in the taskbar—otherwise I often end up with two taskbar entries for some programs when they are running.]

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 5:51 PM

Actually, it points to the icon registered with the installer.

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Installer\{95287F9F-4885-4C1A-9BC6-38B6DED34EE5}\Logos.exe.icon

This has only happened once for me. I think the GUID (that long string of hexadecimal digits) changed for the new install while the taskbar link continued to refer to the old GUID (invalid path). I replaced the path with the one shown in the properties of the link in the Start menu and it worked.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS