quick start

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Denise Parrello | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 2 2013 6:29 AM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us a quick start for Logos.  I have been waiting for an hour for my library to be indexed when all I want is to look up a bible passage.  Sad that I have all this wonderful software and have to go to the internet for what I need.  Help!

Posts 25349
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 7:05 AM

Hi Denise - and welcome to the forums

Does your system index every time you start Logos or just when you have purchased new resources?

And is there any particular reason why you haven't upgraded to Logos 5?

Graham

Posts 4
Denise Parrello | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 7:59 AM

Graham,

My system (at home) is running on an older computer.  I have not upgraded because when I went to LOGOS 4 my system started crawling and could barely keep up.  I have a computer at church that I use to keep current on all my resources.  This one I just need to do basic bible searches and studies.  I do not want to upgrade this one but cannot choose to upgrade one and not the other.  So I have not upgraded at all.

Consequently, this LOGOS is not "fully loaded" and indexes every time I start up.  It's very frustrating - now it is to the point where I cannot use it at home at all.  I start it offline so that it won't download resources, but it still insists on indexing. ARGH!

Denise

Posts 25349
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 8:16 AM

Hi Denise, thanks for clarifying.

is there any way you can leave your home system running so that Logos is fully indexed?

Otherwise, you should have the option of pausing indexing for four hours which should allow you to use the app more effectively.

What version of OS is your home computer running? If "early enough" you should be able to upgrade your church computer without affecting your home  one.

Graham

Posts 27251
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2013 3:01 PM

Denise Parrello:
I start it offline so that it won't download resources, but it still insists on indexing.

It would be best to go to Tools >> Program Settings and set Automatically Download Updates to NO. You will be notified about updates but you can choose to download now or leave it until later. Let the current indexing finish and you shouldn't be bothered until you are ready to process the next download.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2013 3:05 PM

Denise, you may also need to use a registry cleaner (I prefer Advanced System Care). The free version is pretty good.

I have found that cleaning up windows once a month of more speeds things up.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 4
Denise Parrello | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2013 7:12 AM

Great, if I could get there.  But the indexing never finishes.  It runs for an hour and then crashes: Event Type: clr20r3  P1:logos4indexer.exe P2:4.52.0.2208 P3:4fc53c55 P4:mscorlib P5: 2.0.0.0 P6: 5174dd4c P7: 3455 P8: 26d P9: system.io.ioexception

So, I wait an hour for LOGOS to start EVERY time I use it.  the indexer crashes and then I can look up my bible verse.  Nice software, if you can use it.

Posts 4
Denise Parrello | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2013 7:13 AM

"there" is the TOOLS recommendation

Posts 25349
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2013 7:30 AM

Hi Denise

I wasn't aware that the indexer was crashing.

What version of Logos 4 software are you running? 

Are you able to enable diagnostic logging and upload logs after an indexer crash as per http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging?

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS