Visual Filters for dummies

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 156
Jesús Polaino | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 9 2013 11:51 PM

Hello everybody,

Until now i was using Libronix more than L4/L5 because of my outdated hardware (altough I bought L4 when it was available for first time). After updating the RAM to 4Gb and Windows 7 64 bits, I cannot use Libronix because of its dependance on Internet Explorer (there are many threads about it in the forum). This situation forced me to use L5 more and more and I'm quite happy with it, but I still have some "adaptative" problems.

I want to use visual filters more often. I was checking the wiki, an excellent tool, but I'm not always able to reproduce what I want. For example, I want to create the visual filter to show the Pentateuch sources according to the AFAT (which I have), but I'm completely lost when trying to reproduce it. Please, can somebody explain it step by step for dummies like me? Thanks in advance.

Another thing I would like to get is to apply morphological visual filters in versions without reverse interlineals. For example, I have a visual filter underlying the imperatives in the NT (I was able to do it alone Big Smile) in the RVR60 which has interlineal, but I would like to get the same results on the RVA version, which does not have interlineal. It is this possible? Again, can you explain it step by step? I'm not sure if sympathetic highlight is involve in this or not... Embarrassed

Thanks very much for your helfulp posts.

Blessings,

PD. I'm sorry for my bad English, it is easier to read than to write... I hope you can understand what I would like to achieve.

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 12:13 AM

Hello Jesús 

Jesús Polaino:
For example, I want to create the visual filter to show the Pentateuch sources according to the AFAT (which I have), but I'm completely lost when trying to reproduce it. Please, can somebody explain it step by step for dummies like me? Thanks in advance.

The problem with reproducing this specific filter is that it uses AFAT morphology which worked well in Logos 4. However, in Logos 5, English Bibles with reverse interlinear capability now use Logos Hebrew morphology so the Visual Filter based on AFAT no longer works. (And the tagging to build this particular filter is not present in the Logos morphology)

Does this help explain why you are having problems.

Jesús Polaino:
Another thing I would like to get is to apply morphological visual filters in versions without reverse interlineals.

Sorry you can't do this as the morph tagging is part of the interlinear capability.

Jesús Polaino:
PD. I'm sorry for my bad English, it is easier to read than to write... I hope you can understand what I would like to achieve.

No problem at all. I think it was clear what you were asking but if I have misunderstood or you don't understand anything I have written please post back

Graham 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2013 7:55 AM

Graham Criddle:

Jesús Polaino:
For example, I want to create the visual filter to show the Pentateuch sources according to the AFAT (which I have), but I'm completely lost when trying to reproduce it. Please, can somebody explain it step by step for dummies like me? Thanks in advance.

The problem with reproducing this specific filter is that it uses AFAT morphology which worked well in Logos 4. However, in Logos 5, English Bibles with reverse interlinear capability now use Logos Hebrew morphology so the Visual Filter based on AFAT no longer works. (And the tagging to build this particular filter is not present in the Logos morphology)

Looks to me like the coding is still there in AFAT, so he should be able to do it there, shouldn't he?

Graham Criddle:

Jesús Polaino:
Another thing I would like to get is to apply morphological visual filters in versions without reverse interlineals.

Sorry you can't do this as the morph tagging is part of the interlinear capability.

A resource can be morph tagged without having an RI. Most aren't, though.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2013 8:17 AM

fgh:
Looks to me like the coding is still there in AFAT, so he should be able to do it there, shouldn't he?

Yes, but not to produce visual filters which will work with English Bibles.

fgh:
A resource can be morph tagged without having an RI. Most aren't, though.

True and trueSmile

Posts 156
Jesús Polaino | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2013 11:32 PM

Thanks for you replies and sorry to reply so late, but I was quite busy the last days.

I got this particular visual filter from faithlife group and it is working. But my questions is still the same because I'm not able to create it for myself. Of course I can modify this one to adapt it to my needs, but i would like to learn how to create this kind of visual filters for myself. Can somebody provide the instructions step by step, please? Thanks in advance.

As I said before, I created a search to find the J sources in the Pentateuch and I was able to add a Spanish version to be displayed beside the AFAT:

But as you can see, It displays only one verse at time and several times. Is it possible to modify this search somehow to display more verses and not only one by one?

Another related question: is it possible to automatically highlight these verses after creating a verse list?

Thanks again for your help.

Blessings.

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 12:52 AM

Hi Jesús

Jesús Polaino:
i would like to learn how to create this kind of visual filters for myself. Can somebody provide the instructions step by step, please?

So I believe what you are trying to do is to create a visual filter to show the different Pentateuch sources

Hopefully the following will help:

Open AFAT to somewhere in the Pentateuch, and right-click on a word

As you can see there is, in this case, a "Priestly" tag associated with this passage. Ensure that this tag is selected in the right-hand menu and then select "search this resource" from the left-hand menu. This will find all passages in AFAT with this tag

(If you just want to restrict this to the Penateuch then change the search range from "All Passages" to "Genesis-Deuteronomy")

You can then create a Visual Filter with this search team by clicking the "Make Filter" button. Once in the VF screen, select the formatting you want to clicking on the "Formatting" box. I am using "Blue Foreground"

Then close the search window (otherwise the search highlighting will still be displayed), go back to AFAT and you will see the Blue Foreground displayed

Now, all you need to do is to duplicate the terms in the Visual Filter to include the other sources.

You could determine the codes by looking at unhighlighted passages and right-clicking them - but a list is given at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9562/76397.aspx#76397

I've added them into my filter and selected some formatting

and you now get displays such as

Hope this helps - but please post back if anything doesn't make sense

Graham 

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 12:53 AM

Jesús Polaino:

But as you can see, It displays only one verse at time and several times. Is it possible to modify this search somehow to display more verses and not only one by one?

Another related question: is it possible to automatically highlight these verses after creating a verse list?

If the visual filter steps I provided above don't address these issues please post back

Graham 

Posts 156
Jesús Polaino | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 2:36 AM

Hi Graham,

THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!! Finally I found (well, you did it not me) a workaround. My problem was to know how to built it more than use it.Thanks again!!

Blessings,

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 3:45 AM

Hi Jesús

You are very welcome - pleased to help

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS