CRASH: 5.2 SR-3 (Win): While building a couple of PB's simultaneously

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 10 2013 2:12 AM

I had been rebuilding lots of PBs that hadn't yet been built since I recovered my computer from a hard disk crash a while back. I was going through them all one-by-one, reattaching the .docx file and/or cover image if those were missing, and then clicking Build Book. I had at least two of them building at the time I clicked Build Book one more time, and Logos crashed.

Log files attached.

The crash is "System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file '...\LibraryCatalog\catalog.met' because it is being used by another process."

Posts 22961
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 2:40 AM

Hi Rosie

Looks very similar to the problem reported at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/78465.aspx

(And Dave's comments there would seem to apply here but in this case with reference to LogosIndexer)

Graham

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:14 AM

I will create a case for this crash. 

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 9:44 AM

Rosie Perera:

I had been rebuilding lots of PBs that hadn't yet been built since I recovered my computer from a hard disk crash a while back. I was going through them all one-by-one, reattaching the .docx file and/or cover image if those were missing, and then clicking Build Book. I had at least two of them building at the time I clicked Build Book one more time, and Logos crashed.

Log files attached.

The crash is "System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file '...\LibraryCatalog\catalog.met' because it is being used by another process."

Just curious, why did you have to rebuild them? The metadata (doc file name, image file, field information) should have been preserved in the cloud under your account, and automatically re-sync'd when you re-installed Logos. If you had your resource folder, which included the compiled personal books, a scan of it to build your library would have negated the need to recompile. Even if you did not have a copy of your resource folder, simply moving your source files to their original folder location and recompiling would be all that is needed, no need to recreate the metadata.

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2013 5:01 PM

Don Awalt:
Just curious, why did you have to rebuild them? The metadata (doc file name, image file, field information) should have been preserved in the cloud under your account, and automatically re-sync'd when you re-installed Logos.

The metadata (title, author and other field info) was all preserved, but alas some of the doc filename and image file associations were lost. I still had the source files in my restored folder, but had to go back in and manually reassociate them with the PBs.

In my old installation, I had a number of books that were in progress, either never having been built or built but with errors. I preferred to rebuild all from scratch rather than doing a scan, so that I could know which were good to go. I've been using the "Last built" date as a reminder of which ones I still need to work through. It's very annoying that there is no way to sort the PB Tool tab by "Last built" date. That's a feature I'd like to request. For those of us with lots of PB projects on the go simultaneously (admittedly probably only a handful of us) it would be quite useful. I doubt they'd ever implement it though, because it would probably be a lot of work to benefit so few users.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS