Loosing program control

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:30 PM

This is a new problem I have with my computer and it didn't begin happening until Logos  4.  I have one program running and ribbon at the top which indicates I am in that program brightens indicating the program is running and fades meaning control goes somewhere else and after 2 to 4 seconds control come back. 

For example I am typing and it stops even though I continue to type.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:51 PM

Joe,

It sounds like you are describing a problem where Logos temporarily Locks up. 

This generally will happen if the hardware you're running on is struggling with the demands L4 is placing on it.

Can you give me some specs on your system?  How much RAM, Video card and video memory?  CPU?  Hard drive capacity remaining? Operating system?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 8:16 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back and thanks for asking about this.  I have a Dell D620  Laptop- 3 GB of Ram, 150 BG Harddrive with 50 GB free.  I am running XP 2002 Service Pack 3.  Video is standard nothing special - It has a 14 inch screen and running a Nividia Quadro NVS 110M (whatever that means). 

Would I be impacted by how many programs I have running - I have Outlook, Explorer, boths Logos 3 and 4, One note and usually one or two other programs running.

Appreciate the help and Merry Christmas.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 12:55 AM

Joe,

I'm not sure what processor is in that system but the general feel I get is, yes running multiple programs would account for the behavior.  L4 is a particularly hungry beast.  Smile  It will eat as many computing resources as you throw at it. 

It's early so my brain is fuzzy, but I can't recall WinXP exibting the fading as you describe, though Win7 does so on my system as well.  I tend to tax mine with multiple programs and well over a hundred Firefox tabs as well and sometimes I swear I can hear my CPU begging for mercy.  (joke). 

I believe what you're seeing are moments when L4 somewhat ungracefully requires a bit more power than you can give it.  I see a similar phenomena from time to time, especially when I'm taxing my system.

As far as suggestions?  You might try turning off some other programs for a start, and see if perhaps the issue goes away.  If it does than it confirms what I've suggested. 

If it doesn't, it could be a bottleneck with your video card, CPU or perhaps some small incompatibility that is raising it's head. 

My computer is getting a bit old, but I've upgraded it as far as it can go.  Right now when I experience a lag here or there, I just chalk it up to the "hope for new hardware someday" list and take a sip of coffee.

Your mileage may vary. 

Merry Christmas Joe.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 4:16 AM

Thanks Thomas.  What you say makes sense.  The next time it happens I will close the other programs and see what happens.  I will let you know.

God Bless,

Joe

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS