Two selections from morph table - how?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 24 2009 5:13 AM

If I want to do a morph search using the morph table, say to search for a particular verb type in a part of a bible, I use the @ sign, pick my verb type, and it appears in the "For" text box; I can then search - easy. Now in Logos 3, it used the concept of "Add to search", so I could configure my Verb type with the morph table, click add to search, then say pick a noun type, add to Search, then Search.

What I am having trouble with, is if I want to use the morph table to first select a verb type, THEN select a noun type, then search, how do I ADD the noun type to my search?  I select @, configure the verb, then everything I try causes the verb type to be wiped out in the "for" command box, instead of adding it as an additional search criteria. I have tried clicking in the "for" command box like ver. 3, adding a + sign, adding a ], etc., with no luck.

So I have the verb type configured in the morph table - now I want to add a noun type - what do I do?

hope that was clear - thanks!

Posts 27037
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 5:28 AM

Type @ and configure the Verb type, then click outside the Morph box to close it, type a space, type @ and configure the noun type. Finally type an operator between the terms eg. @V OR @N

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 5:32 AM

I figured it out - two add two terms, say a verb and a noun, click @ to bring up the morph table, click Verb, and select your options, then press enter - cursor is back in the "For" command box.  then type a space followed by and followed by another @ sign, the morph table comes up again, then you can select noun and your options, and both verb and noun choices will be used in the search!

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 5:42 AM

Hmm thanks Dave, I think I thought I had the answer but I didn't.

What does the @V or @N do?

Here is my example, when I try it in 4 I get no results.

In ver 3: using BHS/WHM 4.2 with Westminster Morph 4.2, searching Gen-Deu, first search term is Verb-piel-Perfect-Third Person-Masculine-Singular. When I run that in ver 4, I get the right results.

then if I add a second search term, Noun,Proper Name, Masculine, in ver 3 I get a list of results  Gen 5:29, 6:22, 7:5, etc.).  I add that as a second term in ver 4 morph table, hit enter, I get no results - my search term is @vpp3ms @npm.  I try your suggestion, I add a @V in so I get @vpp3ms @V  @npm - still nor results. Then I try @vpp3ms @N @npm - no results.

What am I doing wrong?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 6:06 AM

Dom,

I notice that your "or" is in lower case....is this the way you searched?

If so, that might be the problem...OR or WITHIN or BEFORE or NEAR have to be in UPPER CASE for them to be recognized.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 6:09 AM

Dom,

This did get results; I took your search and just added a "OR" in the middle

@vpp3ms OR @npm

Robert Pavich

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 6:15 AM

Ah figured it out again - I inadvertently put a different noun search in ver. 4. The correct one is @n[^g]m.

Dave, I just used AND between the two terms and it worked, so my only remaining questions is what is @V and @N used for?

thanks!

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 7:06 AM

Actually I have two questions from this example:

1. Dave said insert @V or @N between the search terms, what is @V and @N used for?

2. When the result comes up, I don't seem to be able to get both the nouns and verbs highlighted like in v. 3. Is there a way to do that?

thanks!

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 9:42 AM

@V all verbs

@N all nouns

Are you using a visual filter?

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:03 AM

Dom,

If you don't use an UPPER CASE OR then you will get inaccurate results....

Are you using upper case but just not pasting it here?

When i use your search with UPPER CASE, then I get both nouns and verbs...

Robert Pavich

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:19 AM

Hi Robert,

I was using AND and I do have it capitalized.  When I typed or before I was being sloppy, sorry.

I have attached a screen shot of my partial results where you can see the query and how only one of the two terms is highlighted. Are you saying you get both term types highlighted?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:35 AM

Dominick Sela:
Are you saying you get both term types highlighted?

I did when i did the "@V OR @N" search...

my cutting and pasting of your search terms is not working....can you just type a sentence of what you're looking for?That way I could do the picks myself.

PS: I have a different Hebrew Morph than you do...I don't have the 4.2

Robert Pavich

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:59 AM

In Gen-Deu, Morph search, first term is Verb-Piel-Perfect-Third Person-Masculine-Singular.  SHould be vpp3ms.

Then I did AND

Next term is Noun, Common and Proper Name under Noun Type, Masculine. SHould be n[^g]m.

You see the graphic output of that above. I assume you'll add a V or N?

Thanks!

Posts 27037
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2009 2:52 PM

Dominick Sela:

In Gen-Deu, Morph search, first term is Verb-Piel-Perfect-Third Person-Masculine-Singular.  SHould be vpp3ms.

Then I did AND

Next term is Noun, Common and Proper Name under Noun Type, Masculine. SHould be n[^g]m.

You see the graphic output of that above. I assume you'll add a V or N?

Thanks!

Dominick, my @V @N were my examples of how to get two morph terms into the search box!

If you want to find occurrences of your Verb AND noun terms in BHS 4.2 then

@vpp3ms AND @n[^g]m

is correct. Because a space is interpreted as AND you could also use

@vpp3ms @n[^g]m

For more on searches see http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 6:13 AM

Thanks!  And Merry Christmas!

But why are only the verbs highlighted in my example (see image above a few posts), and not the nouns?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 6:50 AM

Dom,

Have you tried the noun search on it's own?

It should work.

It seems like it's only picking up the first verb search...

Robert Pavich

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 8:06 AM

Yes I have, and the nouns are highlighted there. It seems highlighting of more than one term does not work yet in 4.0a, I guess it's on the list. I noted some highlighting discrepancies in Syntax searches too, compared to ver. 3.  Thanks!

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 8:31 AM

Dominick Sela:
It seems highlighting of more than one term does not work yet in 4.0a,

But it does!

I just did a simple @V AND @N search...and it found both nouns and verbs....here are the  results....

Robert Pavich

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 2:48 PM

Robert Pavich:

Dominick Sela:
It seems highlighting of more than one term does not work yet in 4.0a,

But it does!

I just did a simple @V AND @N search...and it found both nouns and verbs....here are the  results....

I see the difference now.@V @N compared to @vpp3ms @n[^g]m give similar results (given that there are modifers on the second query.)

In ver. 4 both nouns and verbs are color coded the same color, in ver. 3 nouns and verbs are a different color. I don't know why I didn't see that before.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 2:58 PM

Dom,

good point...it would be great if each section of the query was colored differently.

You CAN do a "visual filter" with the same criteria and it will show up whatever kind of color or highlighting you want....

Robert Pavich

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS