Upgrade from Logos 4 to Logos 5 - Download File size

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 32
Martin Groves | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 16 2013 4:51 AM

Hello!

I have Logos 4 Gold running on my old Pentium 4 Windows XP system. 

I have paid for the Logos 5 Crossgrade to receive all of the Logos 5 features.  I have also recently

paid for the upgrade to Logos 5 Bronze.  I have donloaded all of the resources on to Logos 4 plus a

large number of other resources.

I have just purchased a Dell i5 notebook computer.  I am running Microsoft Windows 8.1.

I would like to install Logos 5 on the new computer.

Please could you let me know how many gigabytes or megabytes it would take to upgrade to Logos 5 online.  This is if I do not download any further resources in the meantime.

I would back up and restore all my resources to save on the download.  Are the resources stored

on the Logos server identical for both Logos 4 and Logos 5?

Thank you.

Martin Groves

Posts 25128
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 5:45 AM

Hi Martin

Martin Groves:
Please could you let me know how many gigabytes or megabytes it would take to upgrade to Logos 5 online.  This is if I do not download any further resources in the meantime.

You could get a fairly accurate idea of how much space is required if you looked at the current space utilised on your existing machine.

The article at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers shows where the files are stored.

But this article also describes ways to install on a second computer without incurring the download which I think is what you are wanting. So, hopefully this article will give you the guidance you need.

Martin Groves:

Are the resources stored on the Logos server identical for both Logos 4 and Logos 5?

In general, yes, but some resources have been updated to only work in a Logos 5 context.

Hope this helps, Graham 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 6:54 AM

Martin Groves:

I have paid for the Logos 5 Crossgrade to receive all of the Logos 5 features.  I have also recently paid for the upgrade to Logos 5 Bronze.

If you bought the MC before Bronze, you paid more than you had too. It's cheaper to buy Bronze first. If you bought the MC long ago, there's nothing much to do about it now, but if you bought it recently, the best would have been to return it before buying Bronze, and then repurchasing it after. I would suggest contacting a sales rep to see if anything can be still done. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 32
Martin Groves | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 1:55 PM

Thank you for your advice.  The reason why I asked how big the download would be to upgrade to Logos 5, is that I used 3.5 gigabytes

to upgrade from Microsoft Windows 8 to 8.1.  Therefore, I went over my cap for bandwidth.  I am looking into the best way to

install Logos on the new machine with the new software, and at the same time to save on bandwidth.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Posts 32
Martin Groves | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 2:05 PM

Thank you for your advice.  I will look into this.  The reason why I did the crossgrade first is so that I can get all of the Logos 5 features.

The Gold package has all of the features.  I can't afford the Logos 5 Gold at the moment.  I have Logos 4 Gold.  Due to limited bandwidth,

I am upgrading bit by bit.  I might be able to afford to upgrade to Silver this month, depending on this month's expenses etc.

It might be an idea to get an additional discount on Logos 5 Silver, to make up for the extra cost of the crossgrade.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Posts 100
N/A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 2:39 PM

A not that cheap idea would be for You to contact Sales and order a base-package DVD. That will save You a lot of bandwidth.

I have the same problem myself and the shipping overseas seems slow, so I think I'm going to use an old L4 DVD for one of the installations meanwhile.

Regarding what fgh told You, it would be possible for You to do if it was less than 30 days since You bought the Minimal Crossgrade, but it sounds like it was not. Contacting Customer Service (they handle returns) about it would not cause additional download as long as You are not using Logos the very minute while You are speaking with CS.

L2 Catholic new; Used: ODCC L5 Reformed Silver L6 Full Crossgrade; L6 Chinese Bronze new; L6 Ancient Literature Feature Expansion Collection (25 vols.) new, no dynamic pricing. Before packs had 100 books incl. AYBRL new

Posts 26961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2013 9:00 PM

NÖ:
so I think I'm going to use an old L4 DVD for one of the installations meanwhile

Not a good idea,

•  most resources would need to be updated via download!  
  • an old version of L4 will cause a crash, and you'll be back to square one.

Use your existing resource folder and Method 3 for a new installation to avoid downloads.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 32
Martin Groves | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 18 2013 9:21 AM

Thank you.  I will most likely use method 3 to avoid downloads.  I am worried about the difference in size between Logos 4 and Logos 5

regarding system/program files and if Logos 5 has any larger resources.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 7:01 PM

Dave, wouldn't it be possible to first just install the latest L4 free engine, and then insert the DVD? Would the books that are on the DVD be installed from it (before some of them are updated that is - which I'm aware of)? Need to do 2 complete installs this month of which one Verbum+ (but Customer Service just emailed that the Verbum+ DVD:s are delayed and won't be shipping until sometime in January 2014) - still far from the cap have only been doing normal surfing, no videos, books or software this month.

Dave Hooton:
Not a good idea,

• an old version of L4 will cause a crash, and you'll be back to square one:
    so I think I'm going to use an old L4 DVD for one of the installations meanwhile

Martin, how is it going? Were You able to start Method 3? I haven't got it working myself. On Mac it's easy if You have a DVD, the command is scan optimal media. What is the Windows command? scan {D:}, scan [D:]? (Assuming the D is the letter designation for the DVD drive that contains the Logos base-package disc.)

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 26961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 9:12 PM

Martin Groves:

I am worried about the difference in size between Logos 4 and Logos 5

regarding system/program files and if Logos 5 has any larger resources.

Apologies for the late response.

The download of the L5 software is about 80 MB. If you have all the L5 Bronze resources in Logos 4, the extra download for Logos 5 will be about 500 - 900 MB for databases. The one thing to be sure about is that you have the interlinear databases (*.lbsrvi) in L4 as they could cost an extra 1.1 GB. Look for those files in  C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\random_name\ResourceManager\Resources.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 9:34 PM

Unix:
Would the books that are on the DVD be installed from it (before some of them are updated that is - which I'm aware of)?

An old L4 DVD has old resources which should work OK but it won't have ALL the resources you own! Why don't you use Method 3, which uses the resources from your current installation?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 21 2013 9:38 PM

Unix:
On Mac it's easy if You have a DVD, the command is scan optimal media.

scan optical media

Unix:
What is the Windows command?

scan DVD

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 32
Martin Groves | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 9:05 AM

Dear Dave, Graham and others

Thank you for your reply.  This answers my question.  Therefore, I must budget on 1 GB at most for the transfer.  I have not yet transferred to the new machine and Logos 5.  I will do so next week when I am on leave.  I also want to avoid using Logos DVD's, as I have used several in the past.  I will transfer the data either with a memory stick or burn my own DVD.

I have a couple of other questions relating to this issue:

1)  If I use method 3, will my favourites, notes, passage lists, guides etc. be transferred automatically?  I have recently done a lot of changes to my      favourites, and I don't want to loose them.

2)  Some of my resources are marked as not purchased on the Logos website i.e. they are not highlighted in gray.  I purchased them offline.  This might work in favour for the download/transfer, but Logos must sort it out to make future discounts more accurate.  Please let me know if I could risk loosing these resources after the transfer, as something might be out of sync.  Logos 4 synchronises perfectly on my old machine.

Please could you try and answer the two above mentioned questions for me before Christmas.

Thank you.

Posts 26961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 22 2013 9:50 PM

Martin Groves:
1)  If I use method 3, will my favourites, notes, passage lists, guides etc. be transferred automatically?  I have recently done a lot of changes to my      favourites, and I don't want to loose them

Yes. The wiki states "you must allow time for documents to sync"!

Martin Groves:
2)  Some of my resources are marked as not purchased on the Logos website i.e. they are not highlighted in gray.  I purchased them offline.  This might work in favour for the download/transfer, but Logos must sort it out to make future discounts more accurate.  Please let me know if I could risk loosing these resources after the transfer, as something might be out of sync.  Logos 4 synchronises perfectly on my old machine.

Resources are downloaded whilst your documents (as above) sync across. 

I hope I've understood your concern, but..  If you purchased resources offline then you must have got them on an old DVD/CD, and if they are being used in your L4 Library then Logos will have your licence details and they will not get "lost". If they are not highlighted in gray on logos.com you should contact Logos ASAP to sort this out.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 32
Martin Groves | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 3 2014 12:16 PM

Dear Graham, Dave and others

Thank you for your help.  I managed to install Logos 5 on my notebook using method 3.  I saved a lot of bandwidth.  If I had done it only by downloading it would have cost me over 12 GB.

There are a couple of other questions:

1)  The sound does not work on some of my older resources.  This applies to both Logos 4 and Logos 5.  I did not complain at the time when Logos 4   came out because there were several missing features.  The sound worked on Libronix and the previous Logos2 (LLS).  How can I get the sound back on these resources?  These resources were never part of any base package.

2)  The videos and audio bible work on Logos 5 when I am connected to the internet.  Is there any way to download them so that I do not need to connect to the internet every time I want to play them?

3)  My favourites transferred successfully.  What happens if I sync between the two machines, and these favourites are shortcuts for the same files, but they are stored under different directory names on each machine?  e.g.  I could have sermon sound files under C:\Sermons on one machine, and C:\Users\Sermons on the other machine.

Please could you come back to me with answers so that I can finish setting things up.

Thank you.

Martin Groves

Posts 26961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 3:49 AM

Martin Groves:
1) The sound does not work on some of my older resources. 

Which ones?

Martin Groves:
2)  The videos and audio bible work on Logos 5 when I am connected to the internet.  Is there any way to download them so that I do not need to connect to the internet every time I want to play them?

Martin Groves:
3)  My favourites transferred successfully.  What happens if I sync between the two machines, and these favourites are shortcuts for the same files, but they are stored under different directory names on each machine?  e.g.  I could have sermon sound files under C:\Sermons on one machine, and C:\Users\Sermons on the other machine.

Pass on sound and video, but are 'favorites' related to Tools >> Favorites or your shortcuts, next to the Command Bar?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9147
LogosEmployee

Martin Groves:

For video resources, open the panel menu (the book cover icon) and select "Download all media".

ESV Audio (if that's the audio Bible you're referring to) is streaming only. From https://www.logos.com/product/34146/esv-hear-the-word-audio-bible: "This product is available for streaming only and cannot be stored on your device. A reliable internet connection is required for use."

Posts 32
Martin Groves | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 1:17 PM

Dear Dave and others

Thank you for your reply.

The sound does not work on the following resources:

Collins Cobuild Pronunciations - This resource came with a group of resources that also included the Collins English Dictionary.

Thomas Nelson Collections on authors including Jack Hayford, Charles Stanley, John Mac Arthur, and John Maxwell.

Please could you help me to get these sound files to work.

The favourites are from Tools Favourites as well as from the shortcuts next to the command bar.  I am more concerned about the favourites from both groups that are linked to external programs, because the file directory names will be different on each machine.

Please let me know what will happen if I sync between the two machines.

Thank you

Martin Groves

Posts 32
Martin Groves | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 4 2014 1:27 PM

Dear Bradley

Thank you for your reply.

I have looked at the panel menu for the videos and I can't find the option "Download all media".  This is perhaps because I have turned off the internet setting.  I will look again next time I do updates from the internet.

Thank you.

Martin Groves

Posts 26961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 6:16 PM

Martin Groves:

The sound does not work on the following resources:

Collins Cobuild Pronunciations - This resource came with a group of resources that also included the Collins English Dictionary.

Thomas Nelson Collections on authors including Jack Hayford, Charles Stanley, John Mac Arthur, and John Maxwell.

The separate audio files that are on a CD (eg The Jeremiah Lifeworks Library) are not included as Logos resources. I can't find Collins Cobuild Pronunciations on the Logos website, but the web doesn't hint that audio is possible with Collins English Dictionary. So which specific titles have audio and where (Logos 2, Libronix/Logos 3) did it work?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS