The Complete Classic Commentaries Bundle (1,537 vols.) Question for Catholics

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 29 2013 1:54 PM

Hi,

How many Catholics own this bundle here? What made you decide to purchase this product bundle? I see there is a lot of good material here, but some Protestant specific titles as well. It seems this would make a good resource to have when doing an historical or chronologically oriented research.

I have most of the cutting edge biblical commentaries already, and if not Catholic, they are Ecumenical in nature. I appreciate ecumenical research. What are your thoughts on this? Pros and cons or your general opinions are much appreciated.

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 1:56 PM

I think I also heard somewhere that this Complete Classic Commentaries Bundle (1,537 vols.) has an enormous amount of illustrations and/or images. Is this true?

Posts 32546
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 2:03 PM

I did not purchase the complete bundle but rather picked up particular subsets - I got a few gems but mostly material that is of use to me only when going very deeply into the interpretation of a passage that presents particular problems in interpretation.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 32546
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 2:03 PM

Matthew Langlois:
enormous amount of illustrations and/or images. Is this true?

Not in the portions I own.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 2:19 PM

HI MJ:

About 70% of my library has been handpicked for historical, language and academic sources, apart from the Verbum Capstone+ package. Perhaps I would be better off to handpick from the selections here...

Curious, what selections have you chosen MJ? No need for a commentary on why you chose what you did as it was for reasons particular to your specific interests.

Posts 41
Ron M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 2:41 PM

I'd definitely rent it for a month or so before shelling out that kind of money for it. In my opinion it may even just be better to stick with renting it and forgoing the purchase.

The Complete Classic Commentaries Bundle (1,537 vols.) Rental

Posts 32546
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 7:51 PM

Matthew Langlois:
what selections have you chosen MJ?

Deuterocanonical, Kings, Ecclesiastes, Proverbs, Isaiah, Genesis

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2013 8:31 PM

MJ. Smith:

Matthew Langlois:
what selections have you chosen MJ?

Deuterocanonical, Kings, Ecclesiastes, Proverbs, Isaiah, Genesis

Interesting. I am definitely interested in the Deuterocanonical and Apocrypha classic commentaries. I also have a strong interest in Old Testament studies as well. To me, if not Catholic, then ecumenical when it comes to bible commentaries. I don't like it when it goes too far off the deep end conservative or liberal. Looks like the best bet for me will be to pick individual subsets within the bundles, versus getting the entire bundle.

Cheers!

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 31 2013 5:44 PM

Looks like with me cherry picking will end up costing a LOT more than if I bought the bundle outright. For those of you who have bought the bundle out right (it doesn't matter what denomination you are), how have you liked your purchase? How has it helped/shaped your research? Do you recommend it for an academic library? I already have a very well fleshed out library for recent scholarship.

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS