does upgrade price take my purchase history into consideration?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 25 2009 6:11 AM

I wounder if that is true, because if I look at the upgrade discounter from Scholar's Silver 4 to Scholar's Platinum 4, it tells me, that one of the new books I get is: "Semeia: An Experimental Journal for Biblical Criticism (91 Vols.)" - but I already own that one?

So what do I have to think then? It is not a criticism, but I do wonder?

Gods speed

Jack Nørdam, Denmark

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 6:52 AM

Jack,

the chart on the Logos upgrade page is wrong...it's not complete and only shows package purchases.

The actual price you pay is correct...if you're unsure; call a sales rep...that's what i did...and that's what he explained to me.

bob

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 7:53 AM

JackNørdamPedersen:
I wounder if that is true, because if I look at the upgrade discounter from Scholar's Silver 4 to Scholar's Platinum 4, it tells me, that one of the new books I get is: "Semeia: An Experimental Journal for Biblical Criticism (91 Vols.)" - but I already own that one?

I didn't find it that accurate for my collection either. I suggest calling sales to discuss it with them.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 2:21 PM

JackNørdamPedersen:
I wonder if that is true, because if I look at the upgrade discounter from Scholar's Silver 4 to Scholar's Platinum 4, it tells me, that one of the new books I get is: "Semeia: An Experimental Journal for Biblical Criticism (91 Vols.)" - but I already own that one?

The other thing you might want to take into consideration is - what ARE you getting new.  Usually 2 or 3 of the major collections you get in an upgrade more than make up for the cost, as well as all the other resources.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 3743
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 2:26 PM

Hi Jack,

If the deal on internet is a good value to you, buy it. To get the best deal always involves a phone call...

Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2009 3:14 PM

Just to make sure that your clear;

the CHART is wrong

BUT

The QUOTED PRICE that results is correct...

But give Dave Kaplan a call anyway and tell him I sent ya! Big Smile

Robert Pavich

Posts 112
BS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 2:46 AM

In my case, at least, the upgrade price calculator did not take my previous purchase of BDAG into consideration for my upgrade to Platinum.  I confirmed this with a Logos rep via email.  I had to purchase BDAG twice (full price the first time and heavily discounted the second time since it was part of the package) and you're probably having to purchase Semeia twice as well.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 2:52 AM

Bryan Smith:
I had to purchase BDAG twice (full price the first time and heavily discounted the second time since it was part of the package)

Bryan,

I specifically asked Dave Kaplan this question and he assured me that the purchase history (even of non-package resources) was taken into consideration....somebody at Logos has their wires crossed! Big Smile

Robert Pavich

Posts 103
Tim Hogan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 2:56 AM

Over 1/2 dozen were wrong on mine, but all I had to do was then add up the prices on what I was getting new, then even discount all those as if they would be given to me at a reduce price just for the sake of it, and it still came out as a deal. Frustrating when you look at it staring you in the face when it's on the list, but then use my math equation, and make the proper decision for you.

Posts 112
BS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 6:55 AM

Robert Pavich:

Bryan Smith:
I had to purchase BDAG twice (full price the first time and heavily discounted the second time since it was part of the package)

Bryan,

I specifically asked Dave Kaplan this question and he assured me that the purchase history (even of non-package resources) was taken into consideration....somebody at Logos has their wires crossed! Big Smile

The fact is that we're not told how the upgrade price is determined.  You can interpret "taken into consideration" any way you like.  Whenever the subject has come up Logos employees and Bob have only given vague answers.  Go back and read through their answers if you don't believe me.  Considering the fact that they refer to the way the upgrade price is determined as "secret sauce" on the blog I would say this silence on their part is deliberate.

There was a bit of an outcry after the "New Interactive Upgrade Discounter" was launched.  This new upgrade page was taken down very quickly and replaced with the old upgrade page.  The outcry centered around the fact that people were seeing resources they had purchased individually listed on the upgrade page as resources they would GET by upgrading.  I'm guessing this upgrade page was pulled and replaced with the old one because it revealed the truth that we really aren't given credit for the individual resources (or at least some of the individual resources) we have purchased.

Until I hear from someone in Logos who has looked at my account who tells me that I was given an $xx.xx discount for the previous resources I purchased individually I'll believe the previous employee who told me I had to buy BDAG twice and the old upgrade page before it was pulled.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I am a Logos fan and I enjoy using the software.  There are enough good things about the company and their products that I can overlook this issue and the poor customer service and just take the hit in the pocketbook and deal with it.  Besides, I've gotten enough use out of BDAG that having to buy it twice isn't really that bad.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 7:39 AM

Bryan Smith:
I'm guessing this upgrade page was pulled and replaced with the old one because it revealed the truth that we really aren't given credit for the individual resources (or at least some of the individual resources) we have purchased.

Bryan,

I specifically asked Dave this particular question:

"Why does the chart say that I haven't purchased X resources when I really have?"

Daves answer: "It's very hard to code the CHART for individual purchases; it's a coding nightmare"

My next question:

"So have my prior purchases been credited to me?"

His answer:

"yes they have; even though on the chart they don't show it, your "calculate cost" is accurate and is up to date with your account."

My next question:

"could you just check for example: x resource, and x resource?"

His answer:

"yes...I'm looking at your account; they are all credited to you in the upgrade price."

I'm guessing that rather than some nefarious plot by Logos to steal money from us, that Dave was being honest and the chart was a coding nightmare.

Robert Pavich

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 7:43 AM

This post is aimed at no one person in particular. I have been reading the posts in this thread from the beginning, and I am frankly disturbed by the mindset many of these posts have revealed. The deals offered in these upgrade packages are phenomenal no matter what is taken in consideration. The whining that is repeated over and over in this thread has become irritating. If you don't believe the resources offered are worth the price, don't purchase.

Before I ordered the Platinum upgrade, I did not consult any upgrade calculator. I looked at the resources offered and saw that I could never hope to purchase these resources anywhere else at such a savings, and I placed my order. I don't care how Logos arrived at the price. I just want to know that the price is a good deal. BTW, I already owned many of the resources offered in the upgrade. Just look at what you will receive and decide if that is worth the price.

I have been a nice person for weeks now, but I can't take this griping anymore! It reminds me too much of the Navy when I had to hear, "My Recruiter didn't tell me I would have to work for a Chief like you". Geeked

Posts 112
BS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 7:54 AM

I don't think there is anything nefarious going on.  I never implied they were stealing.

I chose to upgrade because it's still a good deal even with having to buy previously purchased individual resources again. 

That doesn't mean I think it's okay to charge customers again for resources they already own, it's just a case of the good outweighing the bad.

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 11:36 AM

Robert Pavich:

I specifically asked Dave this particular question:

"Why does the chart say that I haven't purchased X resources when I really have?"

Daves answer: "It's very hard to code the CHART for individual purchases; it's a coding nightmare"

My next question:

"So have my prior purchases been credited to me?"

His answer:

"yes they have; even though on the chart they don't show it, your "calculate cost" is accurate and is up to date with your account."

My question would be, if it's such a coding nightmare to get the chart right, how do they code the calculate cost correctly.  Both would have to pull from the same resource data to work correctly.  That doesn't exactly sit right with me.

As far as whining, I think this is a legitimate question.  If someone has a problem with it, they should skip this thread and read something else.  That's what I do when I come across threads that irritate me.

Posts 3743
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 11:59 AM

Hi Douglas,

I recommend you accept the chart as a best AUTOMATED estimate / offer. If it represents a good enough value to you that you're satisfied with it, go ahead & purchase. But if any of the following categorize you better, then call the sales folks:

1. There appears to be an error in the calculation
  2. You just have a question whether some specific resource you have was included in the calculation
  3. You'd like an even better deal if they're having an unadvertized Saturday Madness sale, an end of year contest, or if you can catch them in the right mood or phase of the moon. (I fall into this category, too often.)

You'll never know if you got the absolute best deal unless you call.

In any case, it is a legitimate question. But on the forum you aren't in conversation with anyone who can resolve it to your satisfaction.

Blessings on your decision.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 12:06 PM

Bill Stonebraker:

Hi Douglas,

I recommend you accept the chart as a best AUTOMATED estimate / offer. If it represents a good enough value to you that you're satisfied with it, go ahead & purchase. But if any of the following categorize you better, then call the sales folks:

1. There appears to be an error in the calculation
  2. You just have a question whether some specific resource you have was included in the calculation
  3. You'd like an even better deal if they're having an unadvertized Saturday Madness sale, an end of year contest, or if you can catch them in the right mood or phase of the moon. (I fall into this category, too often.)

You'll never know if you got the absolute best deal unless you call.

In any case, it is a legitimate question. But on the forum you aren't in conversation with anyone who can resolve it to your satisfaction.

Blessings on your decision.

Bill,

You summed it up nicely. Big Smile

Robert Pavich

Posts 3743
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 12:07 PM

Left Hug

LOL

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 95
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:06 AM

Thanks for the answers. I can see that some of you disagree about this, but I do in fact trust Logos, so if they have said, that my purchase history is taken into consideration, but it is not shown visually, I trust that, so thanks again! I'm not naive, but I think that this company is build on Christian values, and therefore trustworthy.

Gods speed

Jack Nørdam, Denmark

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS