Blackwell Bible Commentaries (Wiley-Blackwell)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 4 2014 10:29 PM

A friend is reviewing the most recently published of these volumes, so this series just came to my attention. It seems quite unique, and would be a good thing to have in Logos.

"The Blackwell Bible Commentaries offer a genuinely new approach in their emphasis on the way the Bible has been used and interpreted through the ages, from the church fathers through to current popular culture, and in spheres as diverse as art and politics, hymns, and official church statements. These are the first commentaries to place an emphasis on the Bible in literature, music, and art; the Bible in history and politics; and the Bible in theology and religion.

The volumes explore the fascinating reception history of the Bible, since what people believe a sacred text like the Bible means is often as interesting and historically important - theologically, politically, morally, and aesthetically - as what it originally meant.

This outstanding series will be appreciated by students, their teachers, and by anyone who wishes to understand how the Bible has been interpreted down the ages, and is still used in contemporary culture. Further information about the series is available from the Blackwell Bible Commentaries website at www.bbibcomm.net."

The series is ongoing...

Most of those that have been published already are available in Kindle.

Posts 30147
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2014 1:09 AM

This looks very interesting ... perhaps too interesting to wait for Logos

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 1:14 AM

MJ. Smith:
This looks very interesting

It does.

MJ. Smith:
perhaps too interesting to wait for Logos

Please come back with a review if you decide to buy a volume.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 23596
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2014 1:55 AM

I've just had a quick look "inside" the volume on John at Amazon and it does look very interesting indeed.Yes

Posts 30147
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 12:43 AM

I purchased John and find it very interesting - but I need my Logos links to track from the brief summary of a patristic comment to its actual statement and contextCrying

Okay, Coleridge, Swedenborg, Hutcheson, Lindars are not patristic. The book really shows the need for the Classic Commentaries that Logos sells - but may also show that they are not quite broadly "classic" enough. But if you think of a exegetical summary that reads well and goes far beyond any theological boundary you'll get a sense of the series, it's value and why it should be in Logos.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 30147
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 1:01 AM

Okay - concrete facts on the Logos classics and those used in Blackwell

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 1:07 AM

Thanks, MJ. How's the distribution between patristic, medieval, reformation and more modern?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 30147
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 1:13 AM

for fgh I am not updating posts: typical list of commentators referred to in Blackwell ... from John 8:56-59 Pope Gregory, Chrysostom, Luther, Hoskyns, Ignatius, Lancelot Andrewes, Grelot, Calvin, Irenaeus, Kokkinos, Schnackenburg, Brown, Erasmus, Hutcheson, Theophylact, Bammel, Bultmann, Ball, Aquinas, Bengel, Natalis Alexander, Grotius, Daube, Noyes

This is a series that would sell related works quite effectively.

Posts 30147
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 1:17 AM

fgh the sample above is typical although it varies by passage. The Medieval is a bit weaker than I would like but in terms of research for the book I can see why. When there are more reception history resources to build off, I would expect this to be corrected in the field not in this resource.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 1:25 AM

Thanks again!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 562
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 13 2018 3:54 PM

These commentaries would still be valuable.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS