Who uses Logos 5.0 at Bible Study or while your Pastor is preaching on Sunday mornings?

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 1 2014 3:00 PM

Who here uses Logos 5.0 for (ahem) quick searches and lookups at a Bible Study?

Are you finding its easy to use and fast as the night goes on or are you lagging behind and finding answers around the same time the questions or the topics have changed?

(Ok, yes this is yet another veiled hardware post but I really am interested on how or even if you use Logos during Bible Study with others and/or Sunday mornings as the sermon is going on)

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 3:06 PM

I do - at midweek Bible Study.  Pastor uses iPad w/o LOGOS.  I use a couple of translations and a couple of commentaries on my Nook HD+.  I use the Nook on Sunday as I preach as well.  

Since I am a tactile learner, my biggest complaint is the lack of adequate note taking tools on the Android platform..

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 3:08 PM

Thanks Mr. Johnson.  I long for a day for cross device underlining that is simple to do without several menu dropdowns and selections - but its got to be a programming challenge for sure.  On my android phone by the time I figure how to do a search or attempt one, we have gone to another topic or scripture.

grrrrrr

Posts 8974
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 3:36 PM

I use Logos in Bible studies and during church but I'm careful to really listen and fully engage with what is going on and resist the temptation to do my own study of any sort at that time.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 887
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 3:37 PM

I use it all the time for following scripture readings, taking notes and quick searches during worship services, Bible studies, etc.  I do this on a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (so the mobile version vs. L5), and I'm completely happy with (or acclimated to?) this arrangement.

--Bro. Mark

"I read dead people..."

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 4:07 PM

I think it depends on what tradition is involved, as well as the pastor.  Our english-only church is very comfortable with healthy back-and-forth (which seems also to have been the case in the NT churches vs the super-quiet synogogues).

Our pastor tends to get exegetical on Sunday mornings and life-application on the subsequent Bible study (same sermon but study during the week). So I tend to zoom through L5 during the sermons posting lots of followup questions, while leaving the computer closed during the more devotional discussions.

I found the UBS Handbook series along with the IVP Background series to allow quick checking, while keeping up.  A keyboard/mouse is critical to move around my standard layout.

Posts 6485
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 5:38 PM

It depends on how you use it during sermons or classes.  

1) During sermons I try to keep it simple with my iPad so I won't get too distracted: My preferred Bible and Treasury of Scripture Knowledge for cross references.  I may insert a note containing the outline being presented under the verse being used for the sermon.

2) During classes I prefer to use my laptop as I'm able to work off line and have access to all the functionalities/features.

DAL

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 7:14 PM

DAL - I hope I haven't goofed up passing on the deeply discounted Surfaced Pro tonight then.  It was going to replace my Toshiba Pentium but I am going to pass for now.

Trying to imagine using a Surface pro in the pew...and the looks I might have gotten.
Wondering if my Pastor/Mentor in the pulpit would have minded,

Josh

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2014 8:00 PM

During a bible study session at church - I use Logos (Bible) App. As we are studying, I can do a quick word study if necessary and pull up a commentary if needed. I also highlight passages. For note taking, I use an app such as Evernote or just paper and notepad.

During church service - I use Logos (Bible) App to read the Scripture. I'll jot down the notes on the service with the note taking app on my Galaxy Note 2. No time to do any extensive study or cross references as I listen and participate in the service. I will often study the topic and Scriptures throughout the week.

During my daily travels - I use Logos (Bible) App, Vyrso, and Faithlife to read while on the bus or otherwise out and about.

During an online bible study session - I use Logos 5 and it's full complement of tools (including the note function).

During a Precept For Life inductive bible study - I use Logos 5 with a custom layout that includes the highlighting pallet, and the full compliment of Logos 5 tools.

During personal bible study - I use Logos 5 and it's full compliment of tools.

During my Facebook inspirational post that I do from time to time - I use Logos 5 and it's full compliment of tools to research the topic and do word studies.

During Facebook Scripture post - I use Logos 5 and share the post using a customized "Copy Bible Verses".

Reading plans - I use Logos 5 and Logos (Bible) App.

In a nutshell, I use Logos 5 for anything I do while at home and use the mobile apps for anything on the road or away from my home.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 2:02 AM

JoshInRI:
I long for a day for cross device underlining that is simple to do without several menu dropdowns and selections

You shouldn't have to wait too long for this...

Posts 146
David Medina | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 8:57 AM

I use it all the time. I use it just as I use my regular Bible, to follow the message and take notes. but don't do any research on it during bible studies or pastor's message. I am not there to research but to listen the message.

if I try to do searches, lookups, open commentaries during the message it will undoubtedly take away my attention away from the message to my own personal Bible study when I should be concentrating on the teaching.

because I take notes, I then go home and go over the notes and I will dig deeper using the many tools Logos has. But never during church service. Honestly, think that is disrespectful

Posts 1852
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:23 AM

Just about the time you were posting this (5 PM Sat, Feb 1) I was using my original Surface Pro in church to verify/double check what the pastor was saying about rasach (murder) in the 10 commandments. Using L5 I was able to quickly look up in the Bible Sense Lexicon, NIDOTTE, and HALOT. The pastor said "God passed over 8 words for "to kill" to choose this one" I quickly found there were 7 Hebrew lemmas and 1 Aramaic. But that the general point he was making about "to do murder" is different than our common English understanding of "to kill" was a valid point.

To all FORUM users: Please do NOT use my statements as an invitation to debate pacifism or capital punishment! I just wanted to illustrate how I was able to use the language tools in Logos to spot check a claim from the pulpit.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 538
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:38 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I use Logos in Bible studies and during church but I'm careful to really listen and fully engage with what is going on and resist the temptation to do my own study of any sort at that time. 

YES :-) 

Only... switching between Bible books/chapters is somewhat slow with android (or does someone knows how to do it faster? appreciating help ;-) 

The good old paper versions of the Bible yet seem to be faster than digital Bibles. :-)) Only the switching between versions (to get the preacher's version) is much lighter... I like Logos.

Posts 296
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 12:15 PM

I use it for both sermons and bible studies. I have the ipad app. I don't jump around much in the app between the bible and other resources. I use a note app like Noteability that let's me do handwriting. It's faster and more natural than typing on the ipad keyboard. 

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 12:21 PM

I notice so far 'listening to the speaker' is a key attribute.  But I suspect this is the significant minority.  Throughout my many decades of church attending (and humorous exploration), the ability of a church member (mainly protestant) to identify what the pastor spoke on is not good, just minutes later. And this, after a typical full-day of sermon preparation.

Normally, a good point or a humorous comment is dependably remembered.  An hour later, the situation deteriorates considerably. Lunchtime merits icey stares, if one goes beyond 'My, the sermon seems especially appropriate today?'.  That's with the ladies.  With the guys, it better have something to do with football or politics.

Posts 27771
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 1:41 PM

Denise:
Throughout my many decades of church attending (and humorous exploration), the ability of a church member (mainly protestant) to identify what the pastor spoke on is not good, just minutes later.

+1 Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6485
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 3:36 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

During a bible study session at church - I use Logos (Bible) App. As we are studying, I can do a quick word study if necessary and pull up a commentary if needed. I also highlight passages. For note taking, I use an app such as Evernote or just paper and notepad.

During church service - I use Logos (Bible) App to read the Scripture. I'll jot down the notes on the service with the note taking app on my Galaxy Note 2. No time to do any extensive study or cross references as I listen and participate in the service. I will often study the topic and Scriptures throughout the week.

During my daily travels - I use Logos (Bible) App, Vyrso, and Faithlife to read while on the bus or otherwise out and about.

During an online bible study session - I use Logos 5 and it's full complement of tools (including the note function).

During a Precept For Life inductive bible study - I use Logos 5 with a custom layout that includes the highlighting pallet, and the full compliment of Logos 5 tools.

During personal bible study - I use Logos 5 and it's full compliment of tools.

During my Facebook inspirational post that I do from time to time - I use Logos 5 and it's full compliment of tools to research the topic and do word studies.

During Facebook Scripture post - I use Logos 5 and share the post using a customized "Copy Bible Verses".

Reading plans - I use Logos 5 and Logos (Bible) App.

In a nutshell, I use Logos 5 for anything I do while at home and use the mobile apps for anything on the road or away from my home.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the definition of a Logos Fanatic...LOL...I think if you really wanted to do an "in a nutshell" thing, your last sentence would've been enough. Wink

I think it was in these forums that I read that someone was so amazed at Logos that at times he just found himself staring at the interface screen or just browsing the library for the sake of looking at it...LOL

By the way, does using Logos for "anything" you do while at home include cooking?  Since Morris Proctor once suggested that you could build a personal book containing your favorite recipes LOL I would post the link to the video, but that was during the Libronix days, so I think they removed the video from the site.

Anyway, just messing with you.  Don't take it personal.

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 3:50 PM

DAL;

LOL. My fingers got tired, so I just paraphrased the "In a nutshell" and concluded. Lol

I have a sense of humor also. It's always good to see that someone else has one as well. Big Smile

Posts 8974
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 3:53 PM

Denise:

I notice so far 'listening to the speaker' is a key attribute.  But I suspect this is the significant minority.  Throughout my many decades of church attending (and humorous exploration), the ability of a church member (mainly protestant) to identify what the pastor spoke on is not good, just minutes later. And this, after a typical full-day of sermon preparation.

This is sad but I think mostly true. What does this say about preachers and about people?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3086
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 2 2014 4:41 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Denise:

This is sad but I think mostly true. What does this say about preachers and about people?

Among other things, it suggests that preachers often aren't (anywhere near) as good as they think they are.

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS