How do I memorize each Psalm in order with the Scripture Memory Tool?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Pastor Grant van Boeschoten | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 21 2014 7:57 AM

Hello,

I am attempting to memorize various Psalms using the Scripture Memory Tool.  However, when I go to use the quiz feature, it randomizes the order of the verses in the psalm.  (Ex.  Ps 1:1, 1:2. 1:3, 1:4, 1:6, 1:5).

It would be much better to memorize these verse straight through, as they are written.  Is there a way to do this?

I find that I have the same experience when memorizing other passages of scripture as well.  Even though I insert the reference in the passage list as James 1:2-4, I still have to memorize them out of order with this tool.

Please help.

Posts 27269
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 9:38 AM

Welcome to the forums! Smile

Pastor Grant van Boeschoten:
It would be much better to memorize these verse straight through, as they are written.  Is there a way to do this?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The tool is more designed to memorize single verses. The reason for randomizing? It aids in the memorization process. There were some things in school, for example, that I had to memorize. I could start slow like a freight train and plod my way through it. I could NOT pick up in the middle without starting back at the beginning. Most "memory" programs utilize a randomizer for part of the process, and Logos has followed suit.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 9:45 AM

The quiz feature is definitely a limitation in the memorization tool in my opinion. I think there should be an option to do it in verse order and not just random. When I use this tool I tend to just use the Practice tab and treat it like a quiz.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 9:47 AM

No, there's not a way ... there's another old discussion on the same topic.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/61186.aspx

Posts 9964
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 10:02 AM

The Logos tool was designed with memorization contests in mind (google memorization and random). They all use randomizing as the ultimate test.  Kind of like the height of the ski jump.

I know at our church, the memorizing contests are all random.  A lot of people want to repeat the verses in order (as if they were written that way).  But that'd be too easy.  One Christmas, at the Christmas play, our pastor repeated the whole Christmas story.  It was the random part the mixed everybody up.  (OK, this paragraph was poking a bit at Logos' logic.)

Memory 'chunking' is interesting. It's easier to remember a group than single random pieces. Kind of like Bible passages.

http://psychology.about.com/library/Psychology_Experiments/bl-memory-experiment.htm 

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 11:28 PM

Pastor Grant van Boeschoten:

Pray the Liturgy of the Hours for 40 years? Although if I  recall correctly, novices were expected to learn them all in a year when all 150 repeated weekly. One more reason for Logos to have more support for liturgical church features.

Note: I have chapters and verses and any memorization based on these artificial divisions.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS