Old version

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 6
David Schaaf | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 29 2009 7:46 AM

It looks like I can simply remove the old (vesion 3) program. Is that correct? BTW - if that is the case, I recommend adding it somewhere in the installation instructions for 4.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 7:49 AM

You can remove it, but:

• Not all the features from L3 are available in L4.
  • Installing new 3rd party resources still requires L3.

So, unless disk space is at a premium, most L4 users keep L3 on their system, 'just in case'.

Posts 6
David Schaaf | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:03 AM

Thanks, Mark.

By 3rd party resources do you mean resources purchased from someone other than Logos/libronix?

Do you know if that limitation is permanent or is the ability to install new 3rd party resources one of the updates which will come with version 4?

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 8:16 AM

I mean resources that you have to buy on CD and can't download from logos.com

Once you've installed them once in L3, and synchronised your licences, they'll work fine in L4 forever after. This limitation will be removed at some point, but there's no indication yet as to when this will be.

Posts 3
Lou Pascazi | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 9:55 AM

I just installed version 4 yesterday. I've purchased and downloaded some things from Logos that are no longer for sale. For example, the Jerome Biblical Commentary. It transferred nicely over from version 3. But, I notice it doesn't show up in Biblia or in my Android Logos app. Thinking ahead to new computers and future upgrades, I have some questions. Does the old file need to be kept on the disk? If so, does it have to live in a particular directory? Thanx.

+ Lou+

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 10:25 AM

Lou ... where oh where did you find Jerome?

I've been searching for 2 years!!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 10:42 AM

Lou, for certain older works Logos does not have the rights to distribute via download. However, they do still host many resources on ftp.logos.com that they no longer sell. What you can do is go to the information panel, find the resource's file name and then look at the ftp server to see if the files are there.

Another way to check this out would be to make a copy of the Jerome file (Logos res folder: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\ResourceManager\Resources [Vista/Win7] C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Logos4\Data\<random>\ResourceManager\Resources [XP] -- the AppData folder is hidden btw) and place it in a folder like c:\test. Then in Logos hide the resource (program settings) restart Logos so the resource is deleted, unhide it and restart again to see if it downloads. If not run the command scan c:\test to bring the book back into Logos.

If Logos does not have this resource for download be certain to keep cds of some other backup, you will be able to use the scan command to get it into Logos on future computers.

Posts 9519
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:12 AM

jbc.lbxlls is not on the ftp server, however I have it on my new computer so I think it must have been downloaded from one of the Logos servers. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to backup that specific file.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3
Lou Pascazi | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 2:39 AM

Logos used to sell it. The file date on JBC.LIX and JBC.LSF is 1996. The "93% off catholic collection" is,t worth much to me since it's missing the JBC, the Catechism, the documents of Vatican II, and many more I'm sure you want to blurt out right now. If I remember, there's some sort of licensing controversy. So, the one I have is the original version, not the current one. God bless!

+ Lou+

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 4:57 AM

Thank you Lou. It sounds like Jerome must forever remain on my bookshelf silently hinting 'Oh sure, just because I'm a 'book'!'.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 12:11 PM

Lou Pascazi:
The "93% off catholic collection" is,t worth much to me since it's missing ... the documents of Vatican II

It's missing a lot one would wish for, but not that.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3
Lou Pascazi | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 28 2011 12:21 PM

Oops, sorry. Thanx for the V-II docs correction.

+ Lou+

Posts 592
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2011 6:05 PM

an example of this (until recently!!) is Luther's Works: http://www.logos.com/product/15485/luthers-works.

Posts 33245
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2011 6:37 PM

I believe that there was a change in publisher between the 2nd and 3rd editions. As ebooks are a larger part of the book market, I'd think there is a growing possibility of getting it in some e-book format.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS