1000 Bible Images and comments misleading

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 9 2014 9:13 AM

On the home page today it pictures captives and states that they were tied with ropes to prevent their escape.  The picture does not really depict such.  What it does depict is the captives with a yoke [q.v. in the OT] about their neck reminiscent of Jer 2.20, 5.5, 27.2 and many other passages.  The yoke about the neck was the symbol of servitude.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 25223
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 9:50 AM

George Somsel:
On the home page today it pictures captives and states that they were tied with ropes to prevent their escape.

I don't see this on my homepage - just mentioning this as the way this is generated can be different for different people.

George Somsel:
The picture does not really depict such.  What it does depict is the captives with a yoke [q.v. in the OT] about their neck reminiscent of Jer 2.20, 5.5, 27.2 and many other passages

Assuming this is the "Prisoners" image from the book you reference I agree with your commentsSmile

Posts 12109
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:13 AM

George,

since (IIRC) those pictures are generated dynamically, everybody sees a different one. I think you mean logosres:1000bblimg;art=image.258 . From my reasoning, this doesn't show ropes around the neck, but some kind of wooden Y structure. However, it does show naked "prisoners" or more likely "captives" with their hands tied at the back. Look also at logosres:1000bblimg;art=image.149 depicting captives - they also have their hands tied back (presumably with rope) and it even could be said that they have some cord or rope around their necks.    

Regarding the "wooden Y structure" I think I have seen the same in pictures of black african slaves. Binding these structures together will prevent the captives from running away. I think, this may perhaps be called a yoke as well, but I'm not sure, since typically a yoke connects two animals/people. It is clear that

George Somsel:
The yoke about the neck was the symbol of servitude.

(we get words like "subjugate", in German "unterjochen" from it). The first two references you gave from Jeremiah are metaphorical speaking, but I imagined the physical yoke Jeremiah wore like a bar over the neck that is used to cary two full buckets.

What I'm saying is that the description may not be wrong in what it says, but obviously it doesn't explain the wooden Y which clearly isn't a rope. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:26 AM

NB.Mick:
The first two references you gave from Jeremiah are metaphorical speaking, but I imagined the physical yoke Jeremiah wore like a bar over the neck that is used to cary two full buckets.

But the metaphor only works if there is some reality behind it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 12109
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:27 AM

Update: just found a picture that shows ropes and wooden Y used on slaves (not from the ancient near East, though): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slaves_ruvuma.jpg  

Posts 12109
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:30 AM

George Somsel:

NB.Mick:
The first two references you gave from Jeremiah are metaphorical speaking, but I imagined the physical yoke Jeremiah wore like a bar over the neck that is used to cary two full buckets.

But the metaphor only works if there is some reality behind it.

I don't doubt the reality, I'm just not 100% sure the real yoke of Jeremiah looked like that.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 10:32 AM

Significance for the NT

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Mt 11.29-30

george
gfsomsel

Posts 29810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 11:07 AM

George Somsel:
On the home page today

As the others mentioned, the homepage is randomly generated from items within YOUR library... It would be helpful, therefore, to post a screen shot of what you are seeing. Stick out tongue

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 11:57 AM

alabama24:

George Somsel:
On the home page today

As the others mentioned, the homepage is randomly generated from items within YOUR library... It would be helpful, therefore, to post a screen shot of what you are seeing. Stick out tongue

Overview

Detail

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9629
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 9 2014 12:33 PM

George Somsel:

On the home page today it pictures captives and states that they were tied with ropes to prevent their escape.  The picture does not really depict such.  What it does depict is the captives with a yoke [q.v. in the OT] about their neck reminiscent of Jer 2.20, 5.5, 27.2 and many other passages.  The yoke about the neck was the symbol of servitude.

Yes the yokes are prominent but ropes are obviously used to tie their hands. In addition they were probably tied between each other, hence the single file.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS