Strategies for taking advantage of the March Madness Sale

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 775
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 12 2014 9:37 AM

I have started this thread to encourage folks to discuss strategies for making sure that they make the most out of this sale. Many of us are lay folks and don't live in an academic environment.  We can use all the help we can get. 

Please do not use this thread to promote individual authors.  Here we want to discuss strategies for (1) locating the best or "must have" buys and (2) voting strategies.

Links to web resources giving general evaluations of books and commentaries would be great!

I'll prime the pump with at least one post of each type.

Posts 775
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 9:44 AM

As an example of a strategy for locating best buys:

Last year I waited until the end to make purchases and immediately purchased Carson's "NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARY SURVEY" (2007).  This relatively inexpensive book, especially when Carson won and was selling at 75% off, had a Bible book by book review of what D. A. Carson found to be the best of the commentaries.  He even had a separate chapter with a condensed list of "Best Buys".

I took the list of authors in the brackets and searched Carson's book looking for hidden gems.

Since Carson is included in the brackets this book may be available again this year.

Since I already have it in hand it will influence my voting.

Posts 775
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 9:52 AM

As an example of voting strategies:

I really like to read books from my tablets and I like highlighting and taking notes on Logos and Vyrso.  I even bought a second iPad with lots of memory so that it could hold my entire library.  However, I personally think the best books for my library are those (1) with heavy cross referencing, otherwise I might as well be reading on a Kindle, or (2) books which I expect to provide good search results.

Therefore, I lean towards commentaries as good purchases.  For example, I would like to read G.K. Chesterton, but I voted for Schaff to beef up my Church history library.

Posts 9498
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 11:20 AM

David, I like the fact that you are talking strategy. From my observation I think many people just vote on who their favorite author is. Personally, my strategy is to think through my library to determine which authors would compliment what I am missing and place my vote accordingly.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 900
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:33 PM

David A Egolf:
This relatively inexpensive book, especially when Carson won and was selling at 75% off, had a Bible book by book review of what D. A. Carson found to be the best of the commentaries.  He even had a separate chapter with a condensed list of "Best Buys".

I'm using the same Carson book to help me determine which authors to vote for.  So, quite naturally, I think this is a brilliant strategy!  Yes

"I read dead people..."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS