Theology Stream: Molinist

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 17 2014 2:41 PM

Because its been coming up a lot at seminary, I thought it might be a good idea to create a collection of those in my library who (whether they self identify as such or not) are Molinists.

Other than William Lane Craig and my prof, I can't think of anyone else who fits that description. Anyone have any names, or lists that might help?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 2:45 PM

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/33464.aspx

Keathley has a compelling book on the subject now in Vyrso...

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 2:46 PM

I once set up a Reading list (you find it in the RL tool of L5 or under http://topics.logos.com/Molinism ) - maybe it helps and some of the resources in it point you further.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 2:46 PM

Keathley is the prof I was speaking of... Didn't know he had a book on the subject however. I've now purchased it. His Bibliography should help.

NB.Mick:

I once set up a Reading list (you find it in the RL tool of L5 or under http://topics.logos.com/Molinism ) - maybe it helps and some of the resources in it point you further.

Thanks Mick! That will help a good bit.

I still have precious few names of adherents though, anyone have any names they can contribute?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 3:01 PM

Paul Newsome:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/33464.aspx

Keathley has a compelling book on the subject now in Vyrso...

Thanks for pointing - I just updated the RL!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 60
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 4:18 PM

Alvin Plantinga is a molinist, but I don't know off hand the name of specific resources/articles where he addresses it. 

Searches for "middle knowledge" often bring up results related to Molinism.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 5:10 PM

abondservant:
Anyone have any names, or lists that might help?

In Logos we have Four Views of Divine Providence with a chapter by Craig on Molinism. That's all I can find.

EDIT: I see NB got that one in his reading list.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 5:43 PM

Alan:
Alvin Plantinga is a molinist, but I don't know off hand the name of specific resources/articles where he addresses it. 

I only know about this what I read, but It seems that he espoused the theory in God, Freedom, and Evil (available in a Kindle Edition).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 6:56 PM

I think these arguments are rather bizarre. If YHWH was able to be interviewed and was asked, "So, YHWH, are you a Molinist or something else?", I think His response would be, "Seriously?"

I think He would give the same response if asked which denomination He was.

I say this even though Molinism (a term I had not heard until I read this post) appears to be pretty close to what I have posited for years. I say "pretty close" because I only read enough to get a rough outline of what it is described to be. Trying to exhaustively study the idea "to determine if I am indeed a Molinist" strikes me as one of the stupidest and most idiotic things I could do...quite like claiming to be a "fill in a random denomination here".

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:19 PM

David - its not an argument for me, its an academic consideration... Taking a theology class from a molinist? Maybe I should know more about it ;).

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:30 PM

David Paul:

I think these arguments are rather bizarre. If YHWH was able to be interviewed and was asked, "So, YHWH, are you a Molinist or something else?", I think His response would be, "Seriously?"

Not at all bizarre! These are books " for thinking Christians who would like to understand better the divine attribute of omniscience or who may be troubled over how to reconcile God's foreknowledge with human freedom." Not to put a label on God or man.

quote from "Only Wise God" by WL Craig

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:38 PM

Discussing these things is one thing...boxing them and slapping trademarked (read "denominationalized") labels on them that inevitably become self-identification markers & descriptors is something else entirely. Soon to be released...The Molinist Base Package!!

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:50 PM

David Paul:

Soon to be released...The Molinist Base Package!!

I like it!!  Party!!!     Molinist is not trademarked, btw.

Posts 26498
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:52 PM

wikipedia provides the following reading list:

References/Further reading

• Thomas Flint, Divine Providence, The Molinist Account. London, Cornell University Press; 1998.
  • William Lane Craig, Divine Foreknowledge and Human Freedom. New York, E.J. Brill; 1991.
  • Craig, WIlliam Lane (1999). The Only Wise God. Eugene, Wipf and Stock.
  • Alvin Plantinga, God, Freedom, and Evil. Grand Rapids, Eerdmans; 1974.
  • Plantinga, Alvin (1986). "On Ockham's Way Out". In l. Peterson, Michael. Faith and Philosophy 3 (3): 235–69. doi:10.5840/faithphil19863322.
  • William Hasker, God, Time, and Knowledge. London, Cornell University Press; 1989.
  • Hasker, William (2002). "The Antinomies of Divine Providence". Philosophia Christi 4 (2).
  • James Beilby and Paul Eddy. Divine Foreknowledge: 4 Views Illinois, InterVarsity; 2001.
  • Kenneth Keathly. Salvation and Sovereignty A Molinist Approach. Nashville TN, B&H Publishing Group; 2010.
  • Tiessen, Terrance. Providence & Prayer : How Does God Work in the World? Illinois, InterVarsity; 2000.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:01 PM

MJ. Smith:
Tiessen, Terrance. Providence & Prayer : How Does God Work in the World? Illinois, InterVarsity; 2000.

I have this one in print and would like to see it in Logos.

Posts 1
Chen Boon Tai | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 30 2019 3:09 AM

This may be dated: it's now May 2019 while your post was dated March 2014! (I read your post only today: 30 May 2019)

Nonetheless, for whatever it is worth, here is a list, and by no means exhaustive, of its adherents/proponents:

William Lane Craig

Alvin Plantinga

Thomas Flint

Kenneth D. Keathley

Tim Stratton

Kirk R. MacGregor

John D Laing

Ken Perszyk

JW Wartick

Randy Everist

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS