Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5251
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 3 2014 8:31 AM

From Maximum Joy...

This is from the preview of this resource...not sure if this is what is in the Logos version, though I suspect it is. Correcting this in Logos (indeed, all electronic versions) should not be a problem even if it never gets fixed in the hard text. I don't see why keeping this as a typo in electronic form serves any greater purpose or principle. Obviously, the choice is the publisher's to make, but it ought to be corrected.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:12 AM

David Paul:

From Maximun Joy...

This is from the preview of this resource...not sure if this is what is in the Logos version, though I suspect it is. Correcting this in Logos (indeed, all electronic versions) should not be a problem even if it never gets fixed in the hard text. I don't see why keeping this as a typo in electronic form serves any greater purpose or principle. Obviously, the choice is the publisher's to make, but it ought to be corrected.

Knowing what something SHOULD BE and quoting a work are two entirely different matters.  That is why some clever fellow came up with the convention of inserting (sic !) [thus !] after an error in the text.  If Logos were to correct these errors which are merely reproductions of what stands in the original text and you submitted a paper quoting the corrected Logos text, you might be called for incorrectly quoting your source.  I keep reporting these errors, but whether or not they are corrected depends upon whether the error is a result of miscopying the print version or not.  Frankly, I DON'T WANT THEM CORRECTED if that would be at variance with the print edition.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:20 AM

Because it fails to express what the author actually wrote. 

David Paul:
From Maximun Joy...
Which is why I did not correct your typo. Stick out tongue

George Somsel:
Knowing what something SHOULD BE and quoting a work are two entirely different matters.  That is why some clever fellow came up with the convention of inserting (sic !) [thus !] after an error in the text. 

I wonder, if when Logos does review their typos - if they could not find some way to tag these with a digital equivalent of sic. for instance hovering over area fraid would pop up with "in original".  That would stop an endless stream of bad/useless typo reports. Well, maybe.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:25 AM

George Somsel:
If (...) you submitted a paper quoting the corrected Logos text, you might be called for incorrectly quoting your source. 

Only if he claims to be quoting the printed text. Quoting a corrected Logos edition is no different from quoting a corrected 2nd print edition: in both cases you have to list which edition you quote. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5251
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:27 AM

fgh:

George Somsel:
If (...) you submitted a paper quoting the corrected Logos text, you might be called for incorrectly quoting your source. 

Only if he claims to be quoting the printed text. Quoting a corrected Logos edition is no different from quoting a corrected 2nd print edition: in both cases you have to list which edition you quote. 

Thank you...it just isn't that hard to join the 21st century.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:34 AM

David Paul:

fgh:

George Somsel:

Obviously you are very well acquainted with academic standards.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5251
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:44 AM

George Somsel:

David Paul:

fgh:

George Somsel:

Obviously you are very well acquainted with academic standards.

Yes, the western world will come apart at the seams if someone quotes Maximum Joy as "We are afraid..." rather than "We area fraid...". I can feel the first tremors in the fabric of reality even as I type this post.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:45 AM

fgh:

George Somsel:

I don't know about you, but I don't quote text as a Logos edition.  I quote it as the author's work published in the print edition.  That is why the citation section in the information regarding the resource cites the print edition—e.g.,

Arndt, William, Frederick W. Danker, and Walter Bauer. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:49 AM

David Paul:
Yes, the western world will come apart at the seams if someone quotes Maximum Joy as "We are afraid..." rather than "We area fraid...". I can feel the first tremors in the fabric of reality even as I type this post.

Actually I believe there is a convention in place already for dealing with this if you feel the need to correct it. "We [are afraid]...."  

To the topic though: Logos licenses to replicate a dead tree book, not to edit. They would have to modify their licensing and I can almost guarantee publishers would resist someone "tampering" with their work. At that point does it not become a derivative work, and somehow bypass the original publisher? (I don't know, I'm actually asking.)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:50 AM

David Paul:

I'm pleased to see that you are coming to realize the cosmic implications for such an error. Stick out tongue

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 9:40 AM

George Somsel:

I don't know about you, but I don't quote text as a Logos edition.  I quote it as the author's work published in the print edition.  That is why the citation section in the information regarding the resource cites the print edition—e.g.,

Arndt, William, Frederick W. Danker, and Walter Bauer. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000.

Some citation conventions actually forbid it, so that even if one is citing from an electronic edition with absolutely identical text, it needs to be marked as an electronic source, etc. etc.

Other more enlightened conventions cut some slack.

With the new waves of information technology (tweet? pastebin?) citation conventions probably won't be stable for at least another decade or so.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS