Looking for the Temple

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3713
Rangers | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 22 2014 1:06 PM

I'm looking for some suggestions on the study of the Temple concept in both the First and Second Testaments.

My preliminary search found these three. I'm not sure where Barker is coming from but the Gathercole book looks promising:

If you have any further suggestions that come from the same angle as these mentioned above it would be much appreciated.

Posts 9708
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 1:47 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but here are some works I have:

An old but classic - https://www.logos.com/product/1998/the-temple-its-ministry-and-services-as-they-were-at-the-time-of-jesus-christ

Here is a collection that may help too - https://www.logos.com/product/4743/judaism-and-christianity-collection

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 690
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 2:41 PM

Try this one

From the introduction:

Concerned with the Jewish roots of Christianity, this book begins earlier and with more emphasis on Jewish matters than is usual in church histories. For the same reason the approach chosen does not break off around A.D. 150, but is followed through the pre-Constantinian period...

What stands out here is the significance of the fact that Christianity originated within a Judaism that still had a temple. During the first forty years of the Jesus community, the temple in Jerusalem was still up and running. On the other hand, most of Christian literature and all of rabbinic literature come from a time when there was no temple, a time when the Christian and Jewish communities had learned to do without it, and do well without it. We often tend to project the picture given us in these sources back into the pre-70 situation. But then we miss the significance of the temple

In the Shadow of the Temple: Jewish Influences on Early Christianity (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002), 14-15.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 3:21 PM

You don't say which 'direction' you're wanting to explore.  This volume below isn't in Logos; new to Amazon too.  I'm about 2/3's of the way thru. As the title suggests, it's oriented to physical presence and how you as a jewish visitor would approach it (series of writers) ... baths, what you're wearing, money (which points out the Tyrolean was idolotrous), etc. Then it also goes into how well thinking jews could worship without it, with it standing there with a Holy of Holies, etc.  Mainly concentrates on the Herodian but points out the signficance of the pre-Herodian in the wall prohibiting gentiles.  And gets tight with the NT text on how it was regarded by Jesus, the early disciples, and thense Paul.

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Temple-Textual-Archaeological-Explorations-ebook/dp/B00J5TOUX0 

There was one little detail in the 2nd chapter which caught my eagle eye; made the reading worth it (and of course doesn't belong on the forum ... ha).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3713
Rangers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 4:00 PM

Denise, certainly looks inviting and a very good candidate for a Kindle acquisition. I'll have to leave the reading of the sample pages to later tonight as the Canadians (that's hockey for the un-Canadian) are getting ready to advance to the next round.

Posts 3713
Rangers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:01 PM

@ Denise -

Ok in between periods. Habs 2 Tampa Bay zip!!

The 'direction' I'm heading is to track a theology of the temple from the Garden of Eden being the first sanctuary/temple, Adam and Eve being priests who serve and guard the Garden until they forfeited that privilage for letting in the 'bad guy' all the way through Exodus....Ezekiel and finally to Revelation 21-22 where we have the new heaven and earth is seen as a city but described as a garden-like park. The presence of YHWH with His people throughout the wandering, the tabernace and the significance of said furnishings, to Christ to the Church...

That's what I'm thinking so far. Hope that gives you a better handle.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:13 PM

Hmmm ... that's a toughie.  I wouldn't recommend the volume I mentioned.  I hope this doesn't sound bad, but the authors in both the 'Shadow' and Charlesworth are pretty down-to-earth jewish-y.  Both of course do try to link in Ezekiel but without much success.  And of  course Enoch complicates the picture even further.

Wow.  Good searching!!

'Habs' sounds like a team that plays for Habakkuk.  We lived in Tampa, so they're good.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5434
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:59 PM

Milkman:

The 'direction' I'm heading is to track a theology of the temple from the Garden of Eden being the first sanctuary/temple, Adam and Eve being priests who serve and guard the Garden until they forfeited that privilage for letting in the 'bad guy' all the way through Exodus....Ezekiel and finally to Revelation 21-22 where we have the new heaven and earth is seen as a city but described as a garden-like park. The presence of YHWH with His people throughout the wandering, the tabernace and the significance of said furnishings, to Christ to the Church...

I am familiar with some of the thought behind what you are describing...relating the Temple/Tabernacle to Eden and whatnot. I don't know of anything in Logos that gets into that, though some commentaries on Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, and 1 Kings, etc. may touch on it. Some other things to consider are

You may want to consider "tabernacle" as a search term also.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 3713
Rangers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 6:00 PM

Funny. I don't think the Habs go that far back. My understanding, being of German descent, is that they at least go back to the Reformation era:

Or as Luther once said about iron nails;

Mit jhener metzen … Ich habs fur siben jaren gewist, das hüffnegel eysen sind

“I have known for seven years that horseshoe-nails are iron.”

Luther, M. (1999). Luther’s works, vol. 35: Word and Sacrament I. (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald, & H. T. Lehmann, Eds.). Philadelphia: Fortress Press.

Posts 3713
Rangers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 6:04 PM

David,

Thanks for the three suggestions. Of the three, I have the cheapest volume. The third book is a days earnings for me, and the first one will take up a couple of hours wages. But thanks for the suggestion. I'll do the tabernacle search. I'd like to get a Logos book(s) though.

Posts 3713
Rangers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 6:54 PM

Habs in four. Advance to the next round. Pacioretti scores the game winner. First playoff goal ever and gets the first star to boot.

Posts 468
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 8:43 PM

Milkman:
If you have any further suggestions that come from the same angle as these mentioned above it would be much appreciated.

This isn't in Logos as yet, but you can check Amazon, etc. for Greg Beale's work: The Temple and the Church's Mission: A Biblical Theology of the Dwelling Place of God

Posts 10
Paul Erickson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 22 2014 10:30 PM

@Milkman

I've been going through a similar study over this past year.

The "Heaven on Earth" book (which is a collection of essays really) and the book Anon mentioned by Beale ("The Temple and the Church's Mission") are the best two I've found in terms of giving a broad view of the topic across the testaments. James B. Jordan's, "Through New Eyes" has been somewhat helpful also in this regard, but it's a bit different is all I'll say. An alternative to "Through New Eyes" would be Leithart's book, "A House for My Name."

Of these, Jordan's work tries to draw the most cohesive (and schematic) theology across the canon. Beale's work sees the Bible cohesively, but it is somewhat narrowly focused to a theme of expansion. It doesn't deal with a number of other themes attached to the temple. "Heaven on Earth" is chapter by chapter in its approach, so I wouldn't say it tries to draw up a unified theology.

Otherwise I've had to pick up individual works here or there. If you can find them on sale, the NIVAC books for Genesis (Walton), Chronicles (Hill), Ezekiel (Duguid), and Haggai, Zechariah (Boda) have all been helpful for me. Walton might spell out more on the temple theme in Genesis 1 in his book on cosmology in Gen 1, but I haven't read that one. T. Desmond Alexander's book, "From Paradise to Promise Land" is helpful for tracing the theme in the Pentateuch. For 1-2 Samuel, Leithart's "A Son to Me" was very helpful (if often exegetically more bold than me). Unfortunately I don't have a good recommendation for Psalms or Isaiah, both of which are obviously important and vast works. It was definitely the most difficult to find anything theological for Ezra. I tried the Brazos commentary but it was a miss (at least for my purposes).

For the gospels, I really liked Timothy Gray's "The Temple in the Gospel of Mark", and also Kostenberger gives a fair bit of thought on the theme in John in his volume in the Biblical Theology in the New Testament series. I just was studying the theme in Luke/Acts this past week, but unfortunately I can't recommend a definitive work. I haven't yet started in on any of the epistles yet. Beale's book is essentially aimed at Revelation and so covers a fair bit of material there, but if you want more, Beale's NIGTC commentary is good.

I hope you find something in there that helps.

Posts 2331
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 23 2014 4:39 AM

In Genesis One as Ancient Cosmology, Walton takes the view that the creation narrative is set up as a temple inauguration text.  His view his cited by Tremper Longman and N.T. Wright.  This could be helpful to your study, but it is only in the three volume set.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 23 2014 11:42 AM

Milkman:

The person that comes to mind when I read this is Scott Hahn. He brings up thoughts like this constantly. I'm just having a bit of a hard time thinking of one book where he spells it all out as one story. Perhaps A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God’s Covenant Love in Scripture, but even there his main themes are Covenant and Fatherhood, rather than Temple. And it may be too old for his 'temple theology' to be fully developed.

The one that definitely is centered on the Temple is The Kingdom of God as Liturgical Empire: A Theological Commentary on 1–2 Chronicles, but as you can see that is formally just a commentary on Chronicles. Unfortunately I haven't had time to read it, so I can't really say how much he brings in everything from Genesis to Revelation, but I would imagine that he does it quite a bit, and that the book would be very relevant to your study. (If you want to buy it, you should do so through The Select Works of Scott Hahn (2 vols.), which will add a second book for only 1.36 more.)

Letter & Spirit may also have some relevant articles. They can be bought from Logos, but can also often be found online, with a little searching. And you could also search for audio and video files.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 570
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 23 2014 12:15 PM

Anon:

Milkman:

This isn't in Logos as yet, but you can check Amazon, etc. for Greg Beale's work: The Temple and the Church's Mission: A Biblical Theology of the Dwelling Place of God

Also check his Biblical Theology, which is in Logos.

MacOS Sierra / Logos 7 Collector's Edition & All Base Packages / Logos Now

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS