This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2002
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 4 2014 1:46 AM

for study/sermon?

thank you.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 4 2014 12:30 PM

DAL:
What do mothers have to do with the software...LOL...just kidding! Stick out tongue Angel
 Stick out tongueYes

Posts 35573
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 4 2014 2:50 PM

Have you run a topic guide on motherhood to see what you might already have in your library? I would suggest:

Macquarrie, John. Mary for All Christians. Edinburgh, Scotland: T&T Clark, 2001. available in Logos

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 270
KJ Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 4 2014 5:04 PM

I found this to be useful to flesh out some of my points for my mothers day sermon.

https://vyrso.com/products/search?q=Everson%2C+Eva+Marie.+Oasis%3A+a+Spa+for+Body+and+Soul

I picked it up for free or in a very cheap bundle on vyrso at some stage.

I will be preaching on an "everyday spirituality" where I am encouraging my congregation to realize that God is with us in our daily lives. about 1/3 of my message is framed around a pamper day our Mothers group just held where they had massages, foot-spas and nail painting. The above mentioned book helped me a male, articulate a spirituality around connecting with and experiencing God when you are looking after (pampering) yourself.

There are some real nuggets that I stumble across in my bulging logos Library that I did not even know I owned.

Posts 2002
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 2:47 AM

Has anyone here had their church's food cooked/prepared by fathers instead of mothers on Mother's Day?

Did it create spirit of unity? Was it a laughing matter? Fun?

Posts 3752
True North | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 8 2014 2:11 PM

I had our deacons and other men do exactly that. It was a great success. The mom's didn't know exactly what was happening, but when it was all said and done, it was hugely successful. 

Had carnations on each table. Had classical music played by some members. The year before I had one of my deacons video record our mothers (with the full permission of their husbands) going about daily activities. Everything was above board. Our tech dept., spliced the video down to 15 minutes and we played it during the Mother's Day lunch. 

We laughed and cried. One of our members had died after the video taping. Tough but celebratory as well.

You ask, "Did it create (a) spirit of unity?" You bet it did.

Hope this helps.

mike:

Has anyone here had their church's food cooked/prepared by fathers instead of mothers on Mother's Day?

Did it create spirit of unity? Was it a laughing matter? Fun?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS