Speed Issue

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 5 2014 7:20 AM

I have a i-7 3.3 GHZ processor with 8GB of Ram and am wondering if anyone can explain to me why it takes 30-35 seconds for the program to open (I am loading to a blank screen) and when I open my work space, and when I click on one of the tabs in my work space that there is a hestitation of a couple of seconds before the tab opens. Now, just the initial time after I click on the tab the first time it shows instantly the rest of the time. Just curious on the speed of opening and hesitation of showing the information when I click on the tab.

Thanks.

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 24673
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 8:01 AM

Is this on Windows or Mac?

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 9:11 AM

Graham Criddle:

Is this on Windows or Mac?

WINDOWS 8

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 3296
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 1:00 PM

Pastor Michael Huffman:

I have a i-7 3.3 GHZ processor with 8GB of Ram and am wondering if anyone can explain to me why it takes 30-35 seconds for the program to open (I am loading to a blank screen) and when I open my work space, and when I click on one of the tabs in my work space that there is a hestitation of a couple of seconds before the tab opens. Now, just the initial time after I click on the tab the first time it shows instantly the rest of the time. Just curious on the speed of opening and hesitation of showing the information when I click on the tab.

Thanks.

I find this to be the case in Windows 7 as well.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 386
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 1:25 PM

I have a 24G memory laptop and it takes nearly as much time to open as well. It may have to do with some indexing issue.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 1:44 PM

Pastor Michael Huffman:

Thanks.

A large number of factors come into play here. It generally takes my system over 90 seconds to start up Logos and let it be usable. This is because of my slow hard drive and the large number of tabs I have open, and probably some other factors I'm not aware of (background tasks in Windows, anti-virus, etc.).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 26622
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 5 2014 3:37 PM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
I have a i-7 3.3 GHZ processor with 8GB of Ram and am wondering if anyone can explain to me why it takes 30-35 seconds...

I've noticed that most super-computers tend to take longer to open and have more latency than an i5 2.53 GHz with 4 GB RAMBig Smile. Seriously, it is down to the quality of the motherboard and RAM, together with their timings and the mix of other components, including the hard drive. Any computer will have better load/response times after the initial attempt because information has been stored in RAM. An SSD is the most effective way to improve the initial speed.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 7:00 AM

A very interesting thread.

I use the Surface Pro 2 which has the i5 processor, 8 gig ram, and 256 SSD (plus 64 gig micro SD card).  I started Logos 5 (with 5,649 resources) from Windows 8 desktop  with nothing else open.  The first start was 23.3 seconds before usable.  Closed it.  Second start it did that "preparing you library, this may take a while" thing, and it was 36.7 seconds before usable. Closed it.  The third time it was 17.4 seconds before it was usable.

By usable I mean I could scroll the text, search, etc., without noticeable hesitation.  One thing I did not realize while running this test, I was opening my previous workspace, and one commentary was opening in a separate floating window each time.  I am not sure that had any impact on the speed, but it certainly would not have helped it.

I suppose it may be that the bigger super machine has more stuff to get started, but then more power after it starts.  Pure speculation.  One thing I do feel strongly about is David's statement that the best way to improve speed is an SSD hard drive.  I agree.  However, I had an SSD in my previous laptop along with an i7 processor, and it was still slower running Logos 5 than my Surface Pro 2.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 7:24 AM

One final thing that really, really hurts load up time is having an active search or guide window open, as the results will be populated before the system will be released for use. Closing any search windows or guides, or putting them behind another tab helps immensely with this issue.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 8:24 AM

Speed reduction occurs due to de-emphasizing software efficiency in favor of other concerns like developer productivity, or possibly through the introduction of new layers of abstraction like a virtual machine or other scripting engine for the purposes of convenience when developer constraints are reduced. The perception of improved developer productivity, in the case of practicing development within virtual machine environments, comes from the developers no longer taking resource constraints and usage into consideration during design and development; this allows the product to be completed faster but it results in increases to the end user's hardware requirements to compensate, assuming that satisfactory compensation is even possible.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 26622
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 11:26 AM

Michael Childs:
However, I had an SSD in my previous laptop along with an i7 processor, and it was still slower running Logos 5 than my Surface Pro 2.

Which makes my point about hardware architecture (design/quality/mix of motherboard and components)! But the SSD was still the best way to improve the i7 with hard drive.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 6:26 PM

Dave Hooton:

Michael Childs:
However, I had an SSD in my previous laptop along with an i7 processor, and it was still slower running Logos 5 than my Surface Pro 2.

Which makes my point about hardware architecture (design/quality/mix of motherboard and components)! But the SSD was still the best way to improve the i7 with hard drive.

Yes

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS