Looks like Zondervan bought themselves some Bible software...

Page 1 of 5 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 85 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 6 2014 6:34 PM

HarperCollins Christian Acquires Olive Tree Bible Software and E-Commerce Company

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 6:46 PM

Ha, ha!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 270
KJ Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 6:48 PM

Let's hope that we don't lose the publishers who come under the Harper Collins umbrella.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 6:53 PM

Sad part is the founder as advisor. Maybe it was his vision.

I'd hate to be in those kids position (OT).  Business is business; founders become advisors.

EDIT: I still don't think it was fair that MJ prohibited me from quoting that really neato thread a few years back.  Started with a 'Z' and ended with bad behavior.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1987
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 6:56 PM

very good news.. this is a good competition, any competitions is good for consumers, it'll drive the price down.

People need to have more choices to choose, let the creativity. innovations and evolutions drive the market.

who knows, they can gather awesome team and create better cutting edge bible software.

I'm for it.

Posts 5423
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 7:03 PM

It will only create competition IF they actually compete, which I'm not certain will happen, especially if Zondervan pulls its stable from Logos. Then you end up with Balkanization, not competition, and you have to buy and own and keep and maintain two programs to keep abreast of what's in the discourse domain...and you have to do double searches and other unpleasant irritation. I hope it doesn't go that direction...but it's ZONDERVAN...so the chances it doesn't are next to nil.

Logos irritates me because they don't want my money, and they have ditched me with a deprecated program they no longer support, and they refuse to get the notes right...but Logos will always be the thing that literally changed my life. I am invested in Logos both financially and emotionally.

But if Zondervan gets the notes right, I'm a gone pecawn! 

Hee hee...just kidding...I'm kidding! Stick out tongue

Indifferent

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 7:08 PM

David Paul:
especially if Zondervan pulls its stable from Logos

Which seems likely given the way OT has been undercutting Logos on Z resources over the last while. 

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 7:12 PM

Paul Golder:

David Paul:
especially if Zondervan pulls its stable from Logos

Which seems likely given the way OT has been undercutting Logos on Z resources over the last while. 

"if Zondervan pulls its stable from Logos"  count on their prices going up on Olive Tree.

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 8:28 PM

It might be prudent to buy up those Zondervan/Nelson titles that are on your wish list, while they are available.

Remember how suddenly Moody titles were gone?

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 8:40 PM

Edwin Bowden:
It might be prudent to buy up those Zondervan/Nelson titles that are on your wish list, while they are available.

In fact, you might even want to peruse the whole catalog for Zondervan/Nelson titles in case there's something you overlooked for your wishlist that you would want to buy while you can.

Here's a link for Zondervan (set to show only the titles you don't own yet):

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Status=Live&Publisher=Zondervan&unlocked=no&start=0&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60

And here's Nelson:

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Status=Live&Publisher=Thomas+Nelson&unlocked=no&start=0&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60 

Then again, there's no guarantee that these titles will be going away. So don't go hog wild.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 8:50 PM

Edwin Bowden:

Remember how suddenly Moody titles were gone?

I agree. 

Posts 688
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 9:06 PM

One might recall that before Zondervan was acquired by Harper Collins, they unsuccessfully made a bid into the software market with their program Pradis-STEP. When it became obvious that they lacked the in-house expertise and financial resources to compete in the marketplace, they gave up their venture, partnered with Logos, and with the initial book titles made available, offered discounts to old customers who cross-graded over. But before that time, Zondervan products were not available through Logos. To jog memories, check out this old string. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, for Logos as a competitor and us as consumers.

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 9:17 PM

I suspect Zondervan titles are available for Kindle? If they continue to let amazon sell their product, I'd be surprised if they cease relations with Logos.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1987
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 9:21 PM

Zondervan is a really big company, I really hope they create BIG competition for the bible software market. They got connections everywhere in the world.. (solid networking)

They had experience with their Pradis software, they got good foundations.

I don't mind jumping ship

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 9:22 PM

I have 5900 titles in logos, and about 5300$ invested. I won't be jumping ship; and further I refuse to open their stuff in another program. I'd sooner do without the zondervan titles I don't own, than be required to use and learn a different program.

Posts 1987
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 9:24 PM

abondservant:

be required to use and learn a different program.

I doubt the learning curve would be more difficult than Logos...

Logos is the most difficult bible software to navigate..

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 9:26 PM

mike:

abondservant:

be required to use and learn a different program.

I doubt the learning curve would be more difficult than Logos...

Logos is the most difficult bible software to navigate..

Irrelevant. Thats the smallest of the reasons against using a different software.

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 10:31 PM

From the article linked to in the original post:

“but we are also committed to maintaining and growing relationships with all of our current online retailer and Bible software companies.”

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 10:41 PM

Scott E. Mahle:
“but we are also committed to maintaining and growing relationships with all of our current online retailer and Bible software companies.”

That's a relief. Well, I hope that growing their relationship means they will allow dynamic pricing on the Zondervan bundles. Currently, I'm not seeing it. I'm not sure if it's a licensing thing or if Logos just hasn't gotten around to doing it. Particularly these:

Zondervan Bible Reference Bundle (87 vols.)

Zondervan Reference Collection (25 vols.)

Zondervan Biblical Languages Collection (35 vols.)

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 10:48 PM

OT is a fine piece of software. I am happy they have a major backer now. OT is no competition to Logos. In mobile OT wins hands down, but the desktop app seems so bare bones as to be an embarrassment to their fine mobile apps.

-Dan

Page 1 of 5 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS