Different Bibles are quoted (hyperlinks) in my commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 54
Hans Vel Tromp | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:32 AM

Dear people,

Today, on Jan 2, 2010, I want to wish you all a blessed New Year. May our Lord return before the end of it, but if not so, may the greatest joy be to worship Him and Him alone.

I've a question of which I didn't find an answer yet, maybe someone can help me out. I discovered that in my commentaries different Bibles are quoted, when I move my mouse over a hyperlink (see pictures included).

For example: in the Reformation Study Bible I opened up 1 Peter 3:13. Two references are made: (Ps. 5:6; Luke 12:4,5). When my mouse is over Ps. 5:6 the Dutch NBV (My preferred Bible) is quoted, but when the mouse is over Luke 12:4, 5 I read the text from the NIV. This also happens in other commentaries, like the WBC.

I use Logos Bilbe Software 4.0a SR-2 (4.01.3.4767) in Windows XP with Service Pack 3.
Does anyone know how to solve this issue, or is it a bug to be fixed?

Kind regards,
Hans Vel Tromp

Posts 54
Hans Vel Tromp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:48 AM

O, I discover that even the Passage Guide "operates" the same way! When I click on the Bilble text on the first row of the Passage Guide, automaticly L4 opens up with the NIV. This is not how I want it to be, because my preferred Bible is the NBV (a Dutch translation).

How to solve?

Posts 35585
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:54 PM

Hans Vel Tromp:
I discover that even the Passage Guide "operates" the same way!

A question - did the commentary specify a translation? I would expect if the commentary didn't specify the version, your first choice would appear; if the commentary specifies a version, that version would appear. I don't know this to be a fact - it's simply a possibility to consider.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 11:22 PM

I wish I could try this out in the Reformation Study Bible and see what you're experiencing. But alas, I waited too long. The RSB had been in my wishlist for some time (low down in priority, but it was there). However, it has just recently been discontinued, it appears. I saw a Google page cache from November 24 which showed it still available and I was able to download the file into my Logos 3 resources folder, but it wouldn't let me unlock it. Said "this item cannot be sold"  Sad

So I guess I'd say be happy you have this at all. Maybe someone else who has this resource can help you with the problem.

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 11:28 PM

Hans Vel Tromp:

O, I discover that even the Passage Guide "operates" the same way! When I click on the Bilble text on the first row of the Passage Guide, automaticly L4 opens up with the NIV. This is not how I want it to be, because my preferred Bible is the NBV (a Dutch translation).

How to solve?

Wait, I think I know what the problem is. I think I remember reading somewhere that in addition to picking NBV as your preferred Bible, you also have to prioritize it over all the others in order for it to be the first choice Bible for certain things, and I guess Passage Guide is one of them.

Watch the video on Prioritized Resources at the Logos 4 Videos page, then watch Mark Barnes's excellent pair of videos on prioritizing: Prioritising Resources in Logos 4 and Prioritising Resources in Logos 4 (Advanced).

Hope that helps!

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 3:20 AM

I'm pretty sure we just need to release a new copy of the NBV. A great many European Bibles were rebuilt for 4.0a, but they have not been released yet. A small handful of Bibles didn't make the cut-off for 4.0a, so those will have to wait for 4.0b, but I don't think NBV was one of those.

Posts 54
Hans Vel Tromp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 2:47 AM

MJ. Smith:
A question - did the commentary specify a translation?

Well, it took me a while, but I think I've found an answer to this question (via info source). It says:

Whitlock, L. G., Sproul, R. C., Waltke, B. K., & Silva, M. (1995). Reformation study Bible, the : Bringing the light of the Reformation to Scripture : New King James Version. Nashville: T. Nelson.

If this is indeed referring to the preferred bible, than the problems becomes more complicated, because than the NKJV (instead of the NIV) should appear, isn't it? But the source-info says also: Indexes: Bible. If the latter is 'true', does this means that any Bible should be able to open?

I'm not very pleased with the present situation and aiming at quitting L4 for a long period, and switch back to L3 again. Reason?

1. Firstly, I'm not convinced the L4 is at a stage it pretended to be and 
  2. secondly, a user should be able to configure the software of which he/she bought a license to use. At least to the level of the former version.

Besides this I've other 'objections' to the present state of art, but that should be in an other post, I guess.

Posts 54
Hans Vel Tromp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 3:25 AM

Rosie Perera:

Wait, I think I know what the problem is. I think I remember reading somewhere that in addition to picking NBV as your preferred Bible, you also have to prioritize it over all the others in order for it to be the first choice Bible for certain things, and I guess Passage Guide is one of them.

Thanks for your replies, I've tried some configurations now. Firstly I prioritise NBV (Dutch), secondly BHS (SESB 2.0) and thirdly the NA27. When I did a search on 1 Peter 3:8 instantly the NA27 appeared. So, I removed the BHS and NA27 and repeated my search. No NBV came up, but the NIV again!

Now I discovered there is also a Top Bibles (what a idiot term, by the way) menu, where the NIV is the only one mentioned! The "Help" (F1) function says: 

To search a specific Bible or group of Bibles, click on All Bibles and choose from the drop-down list:

• Top Bibles (top 5 Bibles in resource priority)

The issue now becomes inconsistent, because I removed the NIV from my Recourse Priority List (only the NBV is listed).

My last step, now, was to add an other Bible. So, I added the KJV (after/under the NBV), and indeed the KJV showed up after a search. Thus, it could indeed become relevant what Vincent Setterholm replied, the NBV is not rebuilt yet. Shame.

P.s. Yes, I'm happy to be able to use the Reformation Study Bible, but No L4 is a working tool and I'm not pleased with the time I had to spend to figure all these things out. At the end, I've to finish my sermon before Sunday morning and it irritates me that I have to "serve" the software, instead it is serving me.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS