Apostolic Fathers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:35 AM

One of my New Year resolutions is to study the Apostolic Fathers.

Is anyone else interested in these?

Please excuse  trivial questions. 

How do I changer the dictionary in my information window?

How can I see the Greek text of the Apostolic Fathers without the grammar and lemmas?

Again happy new year.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 6:12 PM

I am. Well to be specific I'm looking into some typology references (some great ones spoken of in the Epistle of Barnabas chapt. 7) in comparison with the Levitical priest ministry and any NT references.

As far as you’re other questions... I'm using Lightfoot (Greek w/morph) and the English side by side with Louw Nida high in my prioritized library for initial reference and search out what I need to on an ad hoc basis.

To see it without the grammar and lemma, click the "Display" word near the top and uncheck options as needed. I'm assuming your view is the same as mine.

Have a Blessed time in Christ Jesus and the knowledge in Him.

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 6:50 AM

Normal 0 false false false

Thank you, Anthony, for your encouraging reply.  I have studied the NT in 1 Clem and more recently I have been interested in the Pastoral Epistles and the Apostolic Fathers, in an attempt to show the probability of the PE being Pauline. I find the AF very rewarding and important.  I am always amazed that more students are not interested in them..

I have looked at Barnabas 7 and find it very powerful. You have chosen to study excellent topics.

I have LDLS  3.0f.  I have resolved the problem about displaying the grammar (view -> interlinear).  I still have not been able to change the dictionary in the information window.

God bless,

NF.

Posts 1435
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 12:11 PM

Hi Noel.

DrNoelJFitzpatrick:
I have studied the NT in 1 Clem

Are you familiar with Don Hagner's book (Brill, early 1970's, printed version of his doctoral dissertation) on the use of Scripture in Clement (of Rome)? Excellent stuff, both on method and on Clement.

DrNoelJFitzpatrick:
and more recently I have been interested in the Pastoral Epistles and the Apostolic Fathers,

Now you're talking my language! A few years back I worked through some areas where folks have noticed affinities between the two; you can see them here:

http://www.pastoralepistles.com/2007/03/17/ThePastoralEpistlesInTheApostolicFathers.aspx

That work uses the parallels/references noted in the early 1900's version of "The New Testament in the Apostolic Fathers", which is actually available for Logos (thanks, community pricing!) here:http://www.logos.com/products/details/3047

Life intervened before I could finish the series, but someday I hope to revive it. If you want to correspond about this stuff offline, please feel free to contact me (I believe there is contact info on the post referenced above, near the bottom of the left column).

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:08 PM

Normal 0 false false false

Rick,

Many thanks.

I read Hagner’s excellent book and the two edited more recently by Gregory and Tuckett (2005). 

I am grateful for the URLs you sent.

In fact the 2005 books noted above were written to update and commemorate the 1905 book you mention..

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS