MacA B-Day

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5395
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 20 2014 12:35 PM

Everybody loves Paul... Broken Heart

Hehe, my first sermon was an hour and a half. I guess most people like their Bible served in small doses. I imagine these people would just pass out if they had to sit through a three and a half hour Tohraah midraash. Actually, probably not...it's much more engaging than listening to someone preach for twenty to thirty minutes.

EDIT: I probably should have posted this under Logos Blog since these screenshots were taken from one of today's posts.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 5:29 PM

Dr. MacArthur is one of the few preachers I could listen to for an hour and 15 minutes.  However, I try to keep mine down to 45 minutes at most.  Thanks for the post.  Smile

In Christ,

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 8:00 PM

Charles Scaglione:

Dr. MacArthur is one of the few preachers I could listen to for an hour and 15 minutes.  However, I try to keep mine down to 45 minutes at most.  Thanks for the post.  Smile

In Christ,

Charles

20 min +/-

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8207
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 9:23 PM

For me, 30 minutes or less, or else the alligator trap beneath me opens...LOL...and here in Florida alligators are always hungry.  If it's a lecture or some other speech/sermon it can go up to 1 hr. but according to "some research" people's attention span is only between 20 and 25 minutes, so make it short and sweet or as a wise preacher once said, "Make it Biblical, logical and brief and the brethren will definitely appreciate the brief part." Stick out tongue

Anyway, I wish I could afford MacArthur's sermons, but I think I have enough with his books.

DAL

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 7:43 PM

"Anyway, I wish I could afford MacArthur's sermons, but I think I have enough with his books."

Same here, including a thus far complete set of his commentaries.  Also, I believe most of his sermons can be downloaded in MP3 format from his home page at no cost.

In Christ,

Charles 

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 22 2014 6:44 AM

I guess I tend to be about 45 minutes to 1:15. I try to recapture peoples attention every 20 minutes or so with a good illustration, or by changing gears with a funny segue.

Only my uncle acts like he's bored by 1:15, everyone else seems to either be paying attention, or keeping it in check better lol.

Also I jumped on his sermon archive. I don't have many of his commentaries. While MP3's are available from most of my favorite preachers, not all provide transcripts, and its certainly nice to have the full text searchable (macarthur doesn't cite sources much, so some of the features won't be that critical). Plus the thought of manually downloading several thousand sermons, and making a PB is a bit overwhelming. Not to mention scripture tagging and so forth.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS