Are C. S. Lewis' works still under copyright?

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 3 2014 5:34 PM

Michael Childs:
MJ, I don't think you were fair to my context of those words

Perhaps not although it was not intentionally unfair. Had you not used loaded language and simply stated your belief that 50 years is adequate, I would not have responded. But if I were to respond, I would suggest that for many elderly writers, their retirement is dependent upon works written more than 50 years ago. A prime example of one who probably has a comfortable retirement would be Harper Lee with her only work "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19263
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 3 2014 5:50 PM

MJ. Smith:
their retirement is dependent upon works written more than 50 years ago

The thing is, the law refers to 50 years (or 70) after the death of the author. Nobody would question that a living author should still have copyright to their works no matter how many years ago they were written (and the law generally safeguards that except for works published without the required formalities for the period when it was published; those required formalities were loosened in stages until 2002 when they were entirely removed). The question is whether it really makes sense for the author's heirs to still be benefiting from the author's work more than 50 years after they died. Come on, younger generation(s), get your own job, write your own book(s), etc. I believe that life of author + 50 years is more than adequate to protect the reasonable rights of the author / creator.

Posts 33001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 3 2014 6:01 PM

Rosie Perera:
The thing is, the law refers to 50 years (or 70) after the death of the author.

Maybe I'd better stop posting today ... I seem to be having trouble expressing myself correctly. I was not responding to the law but to Michael's proposal.

Were I to defend the law, I would point to the need to provide for disabled grandchildren i.e. living descendents - an issue my father-in-law and brother both face in duplicate. I.e. I see it as more like an annuity than like a patent.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19263
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 3 2014 6:12 PM

Maybe I'm the one who should stop posting since you misunderstand me every time.

Posts 2889
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 3 2014 9:11 PM

MJ,

I will certainly be the poorer if you ever stop posting.  You are one of my very favorite posters, and I have no objection to you disagreeing with me about the appropriate length of copyright.  Indeed, I look for you posts because they are always thoughtful and helpful.  .

I did feel that the quotation you responded to, on its own, left the wrong impression of my views.  But I did not intend to sound angry about it, and hope I didn't. 

I do think the issue is the balance between the protecting the author's interest and the public's interest.  Nearly everyone, I assume, thinks that there should be some reasonable limit to copyright protection.  The US extension, I think, was more about corporate greed.  But that is just my opinion.  I always recognize the very slight possibility that I might be wrong.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 33001
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 3 2014 10:06 PM

Don't worry - I do expect to quit in the future. My Dad could have still made some cogent responses at 98 but I fear you wouldn't want my Mother posting at 99. Sad And no, you didn't come across as angry - you were in the middle of a string of posts where what I meant and how it was taken had a major gap.

fgh actually gave the most accurate description of the motivation for the change. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_Implementation_Act_of_1988  for a description of 100 years of American non-cooperation.

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS