LOGOS: Why have our (ex-beta?) resources EXPIRED

Page 3 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 60 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 25746
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 5:49 AM

PeterLi:

Richard - I tried the "update resources" command last night and it returned with "No updates".

Bradley - Should I go ahead with a reindex?  Will that help with my situation?  Or should I call Support?

You used an unsupported method to install, so Tech Support may not be very sympathetic!

A fairly quick fix might be to  delete ResourceManager.db from the Logos4\Data\{random}\ResourceManager folder and restart L4, but you will lose any Hidden Resources!

Otherwise, completely uninstall L4 (incl. Prequisites) and install using Method 3 from http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25746
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 6:18 AM

Dave Hooton:
EDIT 3: Experieced the "expiring licence/new year" date issue in my Desktop Windows 7 (4.0 SR-7)  whilst off-line. When I went online for the first time since Dec 22nd everything was OK, no need for the workaround! Now I'm going to update and download resources (848.5 MB).

SR-2 is now "doing a full re-index because the existing index seems to have been corrupted", which is nonsense as the index (with supplemental) was perfectly OK for 4.0 SR-7. Time to go to bed!

EDIT: Indexing now complete and all resources appear to be accessible (no issue with ex-beta resources!).

Bradley, I'm going to install the download on Laptop with 4.0 SR-7 and 4.0a SR-2 but is there any metric I can provide beforehand that will assist in assessing what may be a "corrupted index" (both are fully functional). I'm concerned because my Desktop installation is my "Master"  and it has never been subject to a "quick" install.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1373
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 9:35 AM

Dave Hooton:

A fairly quick fix might be to  delete ResourceManager.db from the Logos4\Data\{random}\ResourceManager folder and restart L4, but you will lose any Hidden Resources!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll try that tonight.  I'll probably rename it or move it somewhere rather than physically deleting it.

Have you or others had experience going through this step and had success?  Can you point me to a previous thread that might have discussed this as a fix?  I tried searching the forums for "ResourceManager.db" and couldn't find any meaningful mention of this approach.

Thanks again.

Peter

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 10:34 AM

Dave Hooton:

Provided your access to resources has been fully restored (per this thread), try deleting the following files from your \Resources folder:-

LexhamSGGNT.lbxclv and LexSGGlossary.logos4 together with LexhamSGGNT.lbssyn.

The last is the syntax database.

David - I have been able to get rid of all of these files from the resource drwer. But the Lexham Syntax Graphs --  is still "appearing" in the Library (but is "ghosted").And when it is clicked on the whole program crashes to the "let's all tell M$ about our little problem" etc.

Thanks

Steve

ps. I also had to delete the licence file from my other machine, a laptop, because the three "Biblical" windows were grayed out. .

But I also got an unrelated surprise (My tower has always been a "beta" machine) - but not the laptop  -- yet after I turned on and off the laptop  it is now also running 4.0a SR2

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 1:10 PM

David, I've finally been able to "clean" the laptop of threse three files. Took about 3 restarts.

But original 'tower" still claims to see the LexhamSGGnt etc even though there are NO resources files in its drawer (nor are there any in the L3 resource drawer anymore.

also, both Libraries claim to have the same amount of resources, even though there is the extra "ghosted" copy of LexhamSGGnt in the "tower" computers Library.

(which, if clicked upon, still "crashes' the machine to M$ error report).

Strange

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 25746
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 1:26 PM

Stephen Filyer:

David, I've finally been able to "clean" the laptop of threse three files. Took about 3 restarts.

But original 'tower" still claims to see the LexhamSGGnt etc even though there are NO resources files in its drawer (nor are there any in the L3 resource drawer anymore.

also, both Libraries claim to have the same amount of resources, even though there is the extra "ghosted" copy of LexhamSGGnt in the "tower" computers Library.

(which, if clicked upon, still "crashes' the machine to M$ error report).

Strange

Steve F

Logos need to handle this type of resource "change" better. It demonstrates that they do not remove resources, but we've had many hassles getting rid of the issues associated with the LexhamSGGNT  eg. I had to hide them before the beta licence expired; what happens if I unhide them? And they remain in \ResourceManager\Downloaded folders!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 1:27 PM

Stephen Filyer:

This might be because the index still includes them. Have you rebuilt your index since deleting them?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 25746
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 1:41 PM

PeterLi:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll try that tonight.  I'll probably rename it or move it somewhere rather than physically deleting it.

Have you or others had experience going through this step and had success?  Can you point me to a previous thread that might have discussed this as a fix?  I tried searching the forums for "ResourceManager.db" and couldn't find any meaningful mention of this approach.

Sorry, rename is a better option.  Yes, many have had success deleting/renaming ResourceManager.db when it was necessary, usually for Method 1 at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers. It is sometimes needed for Method 2; see http://community.logos.com/forums/p/8771/70228.aspx

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 2:29 PM

Not really, there were a couple of "small" indexing sessions, but I think it was for either re-built files or for my having "hidden" some other resources.

I don't mind doing it on the 2 core laptop (which does not need it) but my problem is on the slower 1 core tower. I really do not want to have to index it!

Thanks Richard.

Regards

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 25746
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 2:37 PM

Stephen Filyer:

Not really, there were a couple of "small" indexing sessions, but I think it was for either re-built files or for my having "hidden" some other resources.

I don't mind doing it on the 2 core laptop (which does not need it) but my problem is on the slower 1 core tower. I really do not want to have to index it!

Steve, please help us by including the previous context  to which you are responding - just hit the "Quote" button to include it.

Take your time and index when you need to!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 109
Darryl Burling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 3:03 PM

Thanks Bradley,

This resolved my problems too!

All the best!

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 3:31 PM

Dave Hooton:

Steve, please help us by including the previous context  to which you are responding - just hit the "Quote" button to include it.

Take your time and index when you need to!

Sorry, David:

I was referring to the earlier tips about the 3 faulty (now older) files of Lexham SGGNT resources.

And, Yes, I probably will let it "merge-index" etc this eveing while I sleep.

thanks

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1373
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 4:51 PM

Dave Hooton:

PeterLi:

Hi Dave,

Sorry, rename is a better option.  Yes, many have had success deleting/renaming ResourceManager.db when it was necessary, usually for Method 1 at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers. It is sometimes needed for Method 2; see http://community.logos.com/forums/p/8771/70228.aspx

Thanks Dave!  This works.  BP/P/T and 1000 Images restored.

However, there are still about 5 resources missing (compared to old computer).  Does anyone have a suggestion what's the best way to compare the L4 resource lists between two computers?

Thanks,
Peter 

Posts 25746
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 7:18 PM

PeterLi:
However, there are still about 5 resources missing (compared to old computer).  Does anyone have a suggestion what's the best way to compare the L4 resource lists between two computers?

Suggest you make this a new thread as it is a new topic!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25746
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 7:28 PM

Stephen Filyer:

"merge index" may not look carefully at the resources whereas "rebuild index" will!  The former is quick if you have a supplemental index to merge with the main index!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8260
LogosEmployee

Dave Hooton:

Bradley, two days ago I confirmed the "expiring licence/new year" date issue in my Laptop Windows 7  whilst off-line. I just went online for the first time since Dec 22nd and everything was OK, no need for the workaround.

My question is WHY, what is the real issue? Was it the Licence Server?

Yes, it was the the licence server. We set it today (5 Jan PST) to force a license download for all beta testers, which will fix the problem automatically without having to manually delete the Licenses.dat file.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 1:34 AM

Bradley Grainger:
...it was the the licence server. We set it today (5 Jan PST) to force a license download for all beta testers, which will fix the problem automatically without having to manually delete the Licenses.dat file.

Seems to have worked for me.  I started my laptop today to do the 'fix' and found it was already done!  Thanks.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 8260
LogosEmployee

Dave Hooton:

Dave Hooton:
EDIT 3: Experieced the "expiring licence/new year" date issue in my Desktop Windows 7 (4.0 SR-7)  whilst off-line. When I went online for the first time since Dec 22nd everything was OK, no need for the workaround! Now I'm going to update and download resources (848.5 MB).

SR-2 is now "doing a full re-index because the existing index seems to have been corrupted", which is nonsense as the index (with supplemental) was perfectly OK for 4.0 SR-7. Time to go to bed!

EDIT: Indexing now complete and all resources appear to be accessible (no issue with ex-beta resources!).

Bradley, I'm going to install the download on Laptop with 4.0 SR-7 and 4.0a SR-2 but is there any metric I can provide beforehand that will assist in assessing what may be a "corrupted index" (both are fully functional). I'm concerned because my Desktop installation is my "Master"  and it has never been subject to a "quick" install.

It's possible there may be a bug in the "corrupted index" detection; I thought I saw the program spuriously detect a corrupted index at home, but I was unable to reproduce the problem at work, so I didn't file a bug on it. My only guess is that it might be related to having a supplemental index; I'd have to ask the developer who worked on that feature. If there were a bug, it might be a while until it could be fixed, so perhaps it might be easier to just install knowing that a re-index could happen?

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:27 PM

Dave Hooton:

The corruption that was detected may not have caused any problems that you noticed (yet), but if not addressed it would probably result in a crash the next time you tried to merge the index with a supplemental index.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:25 PM

Dave Hooton:

Stephen Filyer:

"merge index" may not look carefully at the resources whereas "rebuild index" will!  The former is quick if you have a supplemental index to merge with the main index!

Thanks David, I was having trouble remembering the exact command.

I've now put it on my "shortcut" bar for future use.

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Page 3 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS