OT: Fire

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 19 2014 9:55 PM

Orange area is the Carlton Complex fire - the largest in the state of Washington (299,000 acres = 467 square miles updated about 4 hours ago). Arrow points to my high school home. With the fire 0% contained, they are already predicting a month for electricity to be restored throughout the county. Plenty of people to pray for.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 3:59 AM

Praying.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2083
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 4:53 AM

Also praying!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 6:04 AM

Will pray and will get others praying.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 2:44 PM

I was away when this was posted, as well as most of the week after. What happened? That is one of the least encouraging images I've seen.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 2:59 PM

The fire is the largest in state history. It's contained on the east side (where my old home is). But a new fire started yesterday on the west side of the fire, closing a highway and burning some homes. It is between two towns they managed to save the first time. There was a dry lightning storm over the area last night so anxious to see the updated report. In my 2nd year of high school we had a dry lightning storm that started over a hundred fires in the county. My poor Dad was legally required to be at three of them at the same time.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 3:08 PM

scale north to south ~ 70 kilometers

east to west ~ 45 kilometers

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 3:31 PM

That is massive! Hard to imagine.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 4:36 PM

a before view:

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 4:42 PM

Another way to put it in perspective. The largest town in the county has a population of just under 5,000. There are currently more than 3,000 fire personnel in the county.

Posts 260
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 3 2014 6:53 AM

My son is fighting the Rising Eagle Fire. The massive storms yesterday started more fires. Prayers appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/lists/10202657978438218

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 3 2014 11:17 AM

I'll include him in our prayers.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 3 2014 11:31 AM

So your former home is in that 'hole' in the middle, and still there, and the fire directly around it has died out? Less than one field away from the looks of that first image? You call it "my high school home"; I assume that means it's not your family's any more?

MJ. Smith:
dry lightning storm

Don't think I've heard of such before. I used to live in an area with an absurd amount of lightening strikes, but I don't remember any without rain. Nor any in connection with a storm. 

MJ. Smith:
My poor Dad was legally required to be at three of them at the same time.

Haven't heard that we have any such requirements either.

We do have our own 5*5 km fire about an hour from here, though. When I first read about it I was worried about our only male monastery, but it seems like a safe distance (at least until one reads your figures...). Strictly forest so far, no houses burnt. Just 90 cows moved further from the fire and closer to the wolves, and a field ploughed up. Hope it stays that way. I pass by that farm once or twice a year, and I know the priests in that parish; they've had trouble enough lately. 

Oh, no, they just posted an update. It's now 10*10 km. That's four times bigger than this morning, when they thought they had it relatively contained! Still no injuries or burnt houses, thankfully, and it's moving away from the monastery, but it's beginning to look bad for that farm. 

I've had enough of fires this year! A friend's church now looks like this. Or actually more like this by now. Last Mass Ash Wednesday...

I'll keep praying for everyone affected.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 3 2014 6:16 PM

fgh:
I assume that means it's not your family's any more?

Correct, Dad started out in Southern Washington where his grandfathers homesteaded. When I was young literally 2/3 of the county was owned by relatives - many related multiple ways. But there was no room for Dad to expand his herd so we ended up in the Okanogan where he ran about 500 head of cattle. When he retired to run about 60 head on contiguous property he went back to the family site.Because of my age at the time, I think of the Okanogan house as "home". It and our closest neighbors are still standing but most of the house on my school bus route burned - 150+ houses in all. As you can tell from the pictures it's not heavily populated - cattle, orchards and tourists.

fgh:
I used to live in an area with an absurd amount of lightening strikes, but I don't remember any without rain

I hear that if you go high enough in the atmosphere, it is raining ... but the air is so dry none makes it to the ground.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 5 2014 6:16 AM

We could use some prayers here. While considerably smaller than MJ's fire, this is now the largest fire in modern Swedish history. It was extremely hot and dry yesterday with strong winds, and they lost almost all control of it. And the water bombers that should have arrived from Italy are more than 24 hours delayed, and still stuck in Poland. It's now close to villages and towns in almost all directions. 1 dead, at least a thousand evacuated, many thousand fearing evacuation today. Farmers struggling to get their animals to safety before they're ordered to abandon them. Impossible to get a picture of how many houses have been lost, but I imagine that most outlying ones that now get in the way are doomed. Also no news about the evacuated World Heritage site that's only 1-2 km from where the dead man was found. Lots of rain all around, but none where it's most needed.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 5 2014 6:39 AM

fgh:
We could use some prayers here.

I've been praying for the fires in the western US for a while now. Thanks for sharing about your situation as I will pray for your situation too. I can't imagine the stress of not knowing what will happen next or the sorrow of loss from a fire.

Posts 11064
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 5 2014 7:39 AM

Wow.  Water tankers have to fly in from Italy!  Usually we have to wait maybe 20 minutes for the first tankers, plus we have to keep our ponds with water in them (AZ used to have a natural lake a few decades back; else all man-made).

The Swedish fire sounds more serious.  Many of the western US fires are in marginal areas (where grassland switches to forest) that attract folks but can 'switch sides' quickly.  We've now been burned out on 2 sides; 2 more to go.  South of us, 19 fire-fighters died in a few minutes time, but going back and re-tracing, it was all marginal land, but the houses needed saving.

We used to visit Moses Lake a lot (central Washington, east of the large fire) many moons back. JAL did their training there. But even then the area was hot, hot, hot.  Further east around Lewiston (my father's growing up area), it's hotter than AZ sometimes.  Not good. At all.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 5 2014 8:35 AM

I used to work as a dispatcher for the National Park Fire Service in Western WA,, and every summer we'd send our chief and several firefighters out to Winthrop to fight the fires that pop up frequently. I can only imagine how hard it is for everyone there now. My prayers are also with everyone fighting these fires, in WA, AZ, or Sweden. It's rough, dangerous work and the world is truly blessed to have brave people willing to try and contain these fires.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 5 2014 10:45 AM

We have helicopters, but most of them only take 500 liters. The planes are supposed to take 5000. Seems we had one on trial long ago, but it was considered too expensive to keep. And most of our large military helicopters haven't been used for years, since we hardly have a military any more.

There are now two on the way from France as well, and a couple more on alert in Spain, but none seem to be here yet. In fact, they now say the Italian planes may still be in Italy, and not in Poland at all. I do hope someone knows what's going on, because they're sure not communicating it very well...

We're not very used to this kind of thing. Sweden probably has one of the lowest natural disaster rates in the world. Most of what we read about in other countries (volcanos, earth quakes, hurricanes, ice storms, tsunamis...) simply don't happen here. Add to that that we haven't been at war for 199 years, and, well, our preparedness for disaster isn't necessarily what is should be. Though, ironically, we're pretty good at responding to other countries' disasters. We've got much more practice in that.

Thanks to those of you who pray.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 29349
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 5 2014 12:19 PM

fgh:
We could use some prayers here. While considerably smaller than MJ's fire, this is now the largest fire in modern Swedish history.

Sweden's fire will definitely be in our prayers. Your situation actually sounds more dire.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS