Internet loss killed proclaim during service - what gives?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Josh Cougle | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 20 2014 11:34 AM

Good afternoon... we had a rough morning... really rough.  

Our internet went down... and Proclaim began to have major problems that I thought weren't supposed to happen.  I was under the understanding that files that were previously downloaded would be cached locally and run fine with or without an internet connection.  Instead, what we found was that instead of moving to the next item, we would get an hourglass... and after 45 seconds of waiting, it would finally move to the next slide.  It was literally 45 seconds per slide.  

We restarted the computer, proclaim, etc and the same thing kept happening.... so we did the entire first 45 minutes of the service without our projectors... but even worse... the first 10 minutes people saw the different service items showing up long after they were supposed to and our techs saying loudly (our fault :)) "we can't do anything... it's not working, etc".  Internet service returned 45 minutes in... and everything worked fine for the last 15 minutes of service...

Can someone please explain to me why it didn't simply work from local files, etc and failed in this manner?  If I was supposed to do something to take it offline... what is it? 

Proclaim has only failed on us twice... both were spectacular and really embarrassing... however, I love the software... I just am hoping that more fail-safe's will be in place soon.  I can only take this happening so many times before we're forced to switched to something that isn't as good... but we know will work.

If I need to provide logs... just ask.

Posts 31
Keith Jasinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 12:37 PM

We had the same thing happen this AM and I am not very pleased.  Issue with the connection was internal but as was noted above, this is not supposed to happen.  We are not currently a paying customer but are in the evaluation phase.  In general I like what Proclaim has to offer, but this didn't make points. 

Essentially, it didn't lock up, but slowed to a crawl where slides wouldn't advance as supposed to.  Resetting the network gear fixed it.  It's like it was spending too much resources going for the network where the system couldn't do it's job.

Keith

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 12:44 PM

I'm really sorry to hear Proclaim disrupted your service this morning. 

Josh Cougle:
Can someone please explain to me why it didn't simply work from local files, etc and failed in this manner?  If I was supposed to do something to take it offline... what is it? 

There shouldn't be anything you need to do in order for Proclaim to work without internet connectivity. As long as you have previously loaded the presentation and presentation backgrounds it should "just work".

A few questions so we can begin troubleshooting what happened. 

• Mac or Windows?
  • How did you lose internet? Was it an issue with your internet service provider? or something related to the local network?
  • Do you use the Proclaim remote to control your service?

If you could provide log files that would be helpful as well.

Mac:

• /Users/[username]/(~Library)/Application Support/Proclaim/Logging/ 
  • The Library folder might be hidden. If so, hit CMD+Shift+G and enter "~/library" into the box.

Windows: 

• %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Proclaim Log Files\
Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 12:48 PM

Keith Jasinski:

We had the same thing happen this AM and I am not very pleased.  Issue with the connection was internal but as was noted above, this is not supposed to happen.  We are not currently a paying customer but are in the evaluation phase.  In general I like what Proclaim has to offer, but this didn't make points. 

Essentially, it didn't lock up, but slowed to a crawl where slides wouldn't advance as supposed to.  Resetting the network gear fixed it.  It's like it was spending too much resources going for the network where the system couldn't do it's job.

Keith

Really sorry about this Keith. It would be helpful if you could answer the questions I asked Josh in my previous post that would be helpful. Stability without internet connectivity is a top priority for us and we'll get to the bottom of this right away.

Posts 31
Keith Jasinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 1:32 PM

Hey Scott -

1. Windows.

2. Not 100% sure.  We've been fighting issues for a while now that we believe is either our ISP (DSL) or more likely our ISP equipment.  We've already changed out our wireless router and other equipment we own and still have the issue.  Unfortunately, we're under contract for more than a year yet or we would be looking elsewhere.  Resetting our equipment fixes the issue but we're pretty sure it's not our issue.  Local network is usually fine and it's just the outside world connectivity that's the issue.

3. No remote (yet).  This was just a PC with 1 monitor (for the operator) and a projector (for the congregation).

Unfortunately, I won't have access to the computer until next week.  If we have any kind of issue in the future, I'll make sure to grab the log files.

Keith

Posts 11
Josh Cougle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 20 2014 8:15 PM

Scott... thanks for the reply.  Here's some of the info you requested... and again... when the internet came back, proclaim worked fine... but it was 45 seconds per slide while the internet was down.

Windows 7, 8gb, core i5, 500gb, etc... the internet loss was comcast problem (our isp)... it seemed to be outside of our network as none of our computers/tablets, etc could log in... our internal network was still fine, though there was no internet access.  I was not using the proclaim remote... to be honest, I haven't had a lot of luck with it yet... it works for a while and then doesn't respond like I need it to, so I use a powerpoint remote still (I'm looking forward to the wifi functionality of the remote though).

I'm going to have to get the log files for you Tuesday when I get back into work... I was kinda' done after service today... I think it rebounded mostly, but running around while music is going on without lyrics trying to resurrect our projector before speaking and having 150+ people watching the madness takes it out of you :)

btw... I love Proclaim... been using it (2 churches) since the beta was first released... and again, this is only the second issue I've had... but both have been service stoppers... oh well. 

Posts 1
Eric Chung | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 4:45 AM

Hi Josh and Logos,

I experienced this more than once. And we found that, if Internet is down but network connection is there (i.e. LAN is up, but no routing to Internet), Proclaim will behave like this. All you need to do is unplug the network cable, or disconnect wireless connection. Then Proclaim will work offline without problem.

Eric

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 9:27 AM

Eric Chung:
I experienced this more than once

Thanks for contributing Eric. Can you recall how long you've been experiencing this issue? And when it's happening are you able to interact with the application or is it completely frozen?

Posts 11
Josh Cougle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 1:22 PM

6253.PowerPointExporter.log6253.awesomium.log3438.Proclaim.log2867.ProclaimError-2.log4024.ProclaimError.log8664.ProclaimCrash.txt

Scott... was able to get up here earlier than I thought... I threw all the files in although I think you're just looking for the last three.  Let me know if I can provide any further information.

btw... can you confirm as was posted that if we lose internet access... we are to disconnect from wifi and disconnect ethernet cables?  I need a quick fix if this won't be fixed in the application for a while but hesitate to train our techs on this method unless you say it's all we have.

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 1:55 PM

Josh Cougle:

Scott... was able to get up here earlier than I thought... I threw all the files in although I think you're just looking for the last three.  Let me know if I can provide any further information.

btw... can you confirm as was posted that if we lose internet access... we are to disconnect from wifi and disconnect ethernet cables?  I need a quick fix if this won't be fixed in the application for a while but hesitate to train our techs on this method unless you say it's all we have.

Thanks for the logs. I'm actively investigating the issue and am really hoping to have a better answer than "disconnect your ethernet cable" asap. First I need to reproduce it which is proving to be difficult. 

The log file that you submitted includes the time range of 11:15am - 11:47am CDT. Is that the period in which you were experiencing the issues? Also, when you were waiting 45 seconds for the slide to change was the app otherwise responsive or completely  frozen? 

Posts 11
Josh Cougle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 4:42 PM

The problem started at 10:30ish... give or take a minute or two... internet came back at about 11:10-11:15... I'm not sure why the log only has that time range... is there something I can do to recover more?  Our techs did restart both the computer and proclaim multiple times during the service.

While we were waiting 45 seconds, the app was completely unresponsive... frozen.

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:12 PM

Josh Cougle:
I'm not sure why the log only has that time range... is there something I can do to recover more?

Unfortunately no, the normal log file overwrites itself each time the application is started.

We've had a difficult time reproducing the described behavior but have a theory on what is happening. We just shipped an update which should resolve the issue.  We'll also continue testing the scenario to make sure we haven't missed anything. Please let us know if you encounter any more issues.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS